Hobie Tandem island

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
viperdevil
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Hobie Outfitter & Sevylor Pointer K2

Hobie Tandem island

Post by viperdevil »

I have been looking at the TI for a while and have couple of question

1. Can it be loaded on top of a 4X4? i dont want to buy a trailer due to storage issues.
2. I will be fishing solo half the time, does it support single person well?
3. Can it be loaded single handedly? is it practical for fishing PPB/WPB?
4. Can I use it without the sail mast? will the drag from the ama slow me down drastically

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by viperdevil on 15 Jul 2013, 21:18, edited 1 time in total.
Praz
Bryce
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: None to be continued………

Re: Hobie Tandem island

Post by Bryce »

A guy used one to circumnavigate Samoa by himself
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Post by mingle »

The A.I. is big, heavy and a bit of a nightmare out of water, so I can only imagine that the T.I. is
and order of magnitude worse.

Have a look over on the Hobie forums, as I'm sure there are a few member there who've car-topped
T.I.s

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/search.p ... ive_topics

Cheers,

Mike.
CrazyChenski
Lord of the fish
kayak: Clarkeski Dusta

Post by CrazyChenski »

Why do you want to change to Tandem island Praz ?

You might as well move to Revolution 13 or outback if you're thinking about single kayak with side kicks.
Fishing is just like Accounting .... it is all about Optical Illusion ...............
viperdevil
PHD in Yakology.

Post by viperdevil »

CrazyChenski wrote:Why do you want to change to Tandem island Praz ?

You might as well move to Revolution 13 or outback if you're thinking about single kayak with side kicks.

I already have an Hobie outfitter with sidekicks......plan is to buy a TI so i start using and get comfy so wen i move back to Chennai I can launch in surf beaches( It is all surf beaches there) but want to make sure i can handle it single handedly and also load it on top of a car.
Praz
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Post by GoneFishn »

No expert on the Islands but if your going to be regularly launching through surf I personally would be looking more towards the likes of the SA skis. Have a look at the Pro Fisha 475.
viperdevil
PHD in Yakology.

Post by viperdevil »

mingle wrote:The A.I. is big, heavy and a bit of a nightmare out of water, so I can only imagine that the T.I. is
and order of magnitude worse.

Have a look over on the Hobie forums, as I'm sure there are a few member there who've car-topped
T.I.s

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/search.p ... ive_topics

Cheers,

Mike.
fully rigged weight close to 80kg :(
Praz
viperdevil
PHD in Yakology.

Post by viperdevil »

GoneFishn wrote:No expert on the Islands but if your going to be regularly launching through surf I personally would be looking more towards the likes of the SA skis. Have a look at the Pro Fisha 475.

I'm not a good swimmer Kelly, can do doggy paddles and swim 50 meters thats about it.......and with no sidekicks I do not feel confident on the water. In india there is no concept of coastal guards etc so i gotta rely completely on myself,

I would be probably pay some professional catamaran fisherman to come with me in the spare seat for safety even with sidekicks etc to get confident in those waters( they are not expensive, probably would be happy to come along for $10 for a full day)

Any yes they would take you to nice fishing spots close to shore too, check the bottom pics on the below page.

http://www.indianangler.com/viewtopic.php?t=4697
Praz
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Post by GoneFishn »

viperdevil wrote:
GoneFishn wrote:No expert on the Islands but if your going to be regularly launching through surf I personally would be looking more towards the likes of the SA skis. Have a look at the Pro Fisha 475.

I'm not a good swimmer Kelly, can do doggy paddles and swim 50 meters thats about it.......and with no sidekicks I do not feel confident on the water. In india there is no concept of coastal guards etc so i gotta rely completely on myself,

I would be probably pay some professional catamaran fisherman to come with me in the spare seat for safety even with sidekicks etc to get confident in those waters( they are not expensive, probably would be happy to come along for $10 for a full day)

Any yes they would take you to nice fishing spots close to shore too, check the bottom pics on the below page.

http://www.indianangler.com/viewtopic.php?t=4697
Mate don't want to be rude, but, learn to fucking swim :evil:
You shouldn't be out in a kayak if you can't swim even with floaties and someone else in the kayak with you.
Sorry but that's just my opinion.
viperdevil
PHD in Yakology.

Post by viperdevil »

GoneFishn wrote: Mate don't want to be rude, but, learn to fucking swim :evil:
You shouldn't be out in a kayak if you can't swim even with floaties and someone else in the kayak with you.
Sorry but that's just my opinion.
I can swim but it i'm not a good swimmer and has been over 2 years since i went to a pool so my fitness level is not in a condition to swim far( Max 50 meters), I have tried reentry with pfd and was fine. I never go out with a PFD.
Praz