Hobie Tandem island

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
Rhino
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Streaker Tournament/Zodiac

Re: Hobie Tandem island

Post by Rhino »

It can be loaded single handedly on top of a 4wd Pras but it takes some time and effort. I did it with mine briefly before modifying a trailer. That was much easier.

happyas
Lord of the fish
kayak: stealth evo 465

Post by happyas »

Kazkasi or Stealth make a range of surf capable skis. My evo 465 punches out thru the waves ok, but you have to be careful that you don't bury the nose or broach as you return. I haven't tried trailing a rope or sea anchor yet.
viperdevil
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Hobie Outfitter & Sevylor Pointer K2

Post by viperdevil »

Rhino wrote:It can be loaded single handedly on top of a 4wd Pras but it takes some time and effort. I did it with mine briefly before modifying a trailer. That was much easier.

Thanks Rhino, how did ya find fishing out of it?
Praz
Rhino
PHD in Yakology.

Post by Rhino »

I used it six times. The rudder broke three times.

I hated it. I sold it.
Drifta-X
Yak Master
kayak: 2010 hobie outback

Post by Drifta-X »

U say your not fit Praz, yet u want to lug a 80kg yak around??
I survived the June 2012 Vyak server crash, just.
CrazyChenski
Lord of the fish
kayak: Clarkeski Dusta

Post by CrazyChenski »

Praz, maybe you should join me in daily exercise before start work to keep fit. Been doing fitness training with a PT twice per week in the last 4 mths. And doing some light jogging 2-3 times per week.

Haven't has much time go out fishing, but at least i'm keeping fit for the spring and summer snapper season
Fishing is just like Accounting .... it is all about Optical Illusion ...............
GregL
Apprentice
kayak: Couple o'Hobies

Post by GregL »

Rhino wrote:I used it six times. The rudder broke three times.

I hated it. I sold it.
I'd just like to point out that Rhino's TI was one of the very early models and since then, the entire rudder assembly and gudgeon was totally redesigned and now comes standard on all Tandem Islands. It is a far superior design and much more reliable that the orignal system on the TI.

There are several options to loading the TI on the roof of a 4x4. The Rhino Rack T-Loader would definately be a good place to start, with Rack n Roll being another option. There are other hull lifter's out there - 10 minutes on the Google will help/confuse you.
The TI is a large craft to handle on the land on your own - although there are many people doing just that. You would find that either the TI Dolly or the new Trax '2-30' trolley does in fact make transportation from the 4x4 to the water very do-able.
On the water, then its horses for courses as to how much you enjoy it, but I will confirm that you will have no issues sailing it solo.
You'd also find that pedalling the TI with the Ama's out, absolutely no problem at all.
A definate recommendation would be to organise a demo with your local Hobie dealer.

Hope that helps,
Regards,
Greg
Rhino
PHD in Yakology.

Post by Rhino »

GregL wrote:
Rhino wrote:I used it six times. The rudder broke three times.

I hated it. I sold it.
I'd just like to point out that Rhino's TI was one of the very early models and since then, the entire rudder assembly and gudgeon was totally redesigned and now comes standard on all Tandem Islands. It is a far superior design and much more reliable that the orignal system on the TI.
That's true. I was probably a little harsh before, but it wasn't an all together pleasant experience then, borne mostly out of frustration. But as Greg says, they are a far superior design now. I sold it with the knowledge that the new owner was entitled to the free upgrade. He also knew it's history. The last I heard he had fitted the upgrade and was making good use of it out of Portland.

However, I had used it enough to know that it wasn't the fishing platform for me. I just didn't need it in PPB for the kind of fishing I do. If I fished more offshore chasing pelagics and such then it may have been a different story.
I tried trolling hardbodies for snapper with it in PPB, but it was just too fast for that. I had to reef the sail in to slow it right down and being in such a big boat it felt as if I wasn't moving and I was simply bored. It was easy enough to fish from, but I didn't need it for the kind of fishing I do.

WE did have some family fun in it though, but having two daughters, a couple of times in it was enough for them. IF I had two sons it may have been a different story. My Mrs wasn't interested in using it with me so there was no real point in keeping it. I'd sold it before you were even a member here Pras.

As previously mentioned, it was possible to single handedly load it onto a 4wd, but it did take a bit of work. Everything had to be pulled apart and strapped down individually. I quickly moved to a trailer because it travelled virtually fully rigged, but that's not an option for you by the sounds of it.

It was easy enough to move around on the cart, and the new dollies probably make it even easier, especially across sand.

IT could be used easily solo. In my experience I preferred to sit in the back to sail it. That kept the nose up a bit and it rode the chop well. When pedalling solo I preferred the front seat. That tended to hold the nose down a bit and stopped the wind blowing it around. If you are going to be solo most of the time then an AI might be the better option for you.

Even though I only had it a short time I still managed a few vids. They might give you some idea of what it's like.

This first one is the for sale ad I put together. It shows it rigged for fishing.

The next vid shows how much easier things are with a trailer, as opposed to pulling everything apart to load onto the roof of the 4wd and then putting it all together again at the destination. YOu can see how easy it is to manoeuvre on land and some of the set up on the beach.

The the last one is just some family fun with my, wife, kids, nephews and father in law. It's great for that.

At the end of the day mate, the advice I always give, as Greg has also done, is to have a demo with your nearest dealer. Only you know what kayak is going to suit you. Everybody is different, and it may just be a perfect fit for you. Unfortunately it wasn't for me.
PAINKILLER
The force is strong in this one
kayak: OUTBACK PIMPED TO THE MAX

Post by PAINKILLER »

I can post another Video Rhino if you Like ! ha aha :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
CHEERS

JUSTIN

A ZIP TIE WILL FIX IT!
Haynsie
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Revolution 13

Post by Haynsie »

PAINKILLER wrote:I can post another Video Rhino if you Like ! ha aha :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
One of Rhino's most memorable by far!! :D