First bay trip in the out back.

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
Gozz
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 and 2 ebay jobs.

First bay trip in the out back.

Post by Gozz »

I fished mornington yesterday for squid in sheltered areas but I wanted to see how the outback was going to take the chop so I ventured out in the open where the waves were just under half a meter.
Going straight into the chop the very pradictable slicing through the chop but I did get a little spray coming over the front which was a bit annoying but I can live with that.
Side on to the chop was also good, dry and stable.
Going with the chop it tracked pretty good and I felt safe at all times.
The only thing I could pick on was space.
In the lakes it's fine but in the bay with more gear on board it was hard finding room for my tackle trays so I dad to use one at a time.
I really need turbo fins and a sailing rudder to make it more efficient when pedaling and to turn a little quicker.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Re: First bay trip in the out back.

Post by maverick »

I ventured out yesterday arvo in the unsheltered - only lasted an hour. Forgot the waterproof pants and the waves were coming over the bow, so it got pretty wet.

I think you will find a big difference with the turbo fins and the sailing rudder in choppy conditions. Makes turning head on into the big waves a lot easier and also when tracking with the waves the big rudder helps prevent some of the breaching with a following sea.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Gozz
Lord of the fish

Post by Gozz »

I just had tracksuit pants on which I rolled up and some slip on shoes.
I think all the pedaling kept me pretty warm.

Where u at mornington as well.
Yacker
Yak Master
kayak: Yellow PA and red Q kayak

Post by Yacker »

You both did well getting out yesterday; I took a look about 3 and went home and cracked a beer :shifty:
Many and strange are the universes that drift like bubbles in the foam upon the River of Time
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Yeah Gozz, around near the mussel farm.

Hey Yacker, it wasn't a planned trip. Got home about 4.30 p.m. and thought it looked ok (just) and the frecast for today was prety average. Went out and there was a lot of weed in the water, made trolling lures tuff. A couple of boats were sitting on my marks again :evil: , pulling in plenty of little pinkies. The "pro" boat was also out, didn't see too many little fish get thrown back at all by them!

Couldn't score a fish on the hardbodies, but the water was dirty. Only gave it an hour and then went home for a red.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Pog
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Yellow Hobie PA 12

Post by Pog »

Gozz wrote:I fished mornington yesterday for squid in sheltered areas but I wanted to see how the outback was going to take the chop so I ventured out in the open where the waves were just under half a meter.
Going straight into the chop the very pradictable slicing through the chop but I did get a little spray coming over the front which was a bit annoying but I can live with that.
Side on to the chop was also good, dry and stable.
Going with the chop it tracked pretty good and I felt safe at all times.
The only thing I could pick on was space.
In the lakes it's fine but in the bay with more gear on board it was hard finding room for my tackle trays so I dad to use one at a time.
I really need turbo fins and a sailing rudder to make it more efficient when pedaling and to turn a little quicker.
An interesting 'test' and assessment 'Goz', especially venturing out a bit wider to mix it in the slop. In hindsight, do you think the 'Revo' 13 may have handled the conditions better, or are you statisfied with the 'Outback'?

Cheers,

'Pog'
Gozz
Lord of the fish

Post by Gozz »

To tell you the truth Pog I've never been in revo before but from what I've heard they handle the slop really well.
I'm very happy with the outback as it sliced through the chop with easy and I found it fairly dry, not 100% dry but acceptable well compared to my old kingfisher anyway.
Lack of room was probably the only real negative but I'm working on that.
RayS
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie PA12

Post by RayS »

well compared to my old kingfisher anyway
How dare you? I mean.....OMG! How dare you. Getting wet is part of the game mate, and getting wet in a Kingy is...like...heaven. :lol:
cheers Ray
0422 63 64 65
"It's 5 o'clock somewhere"
Gozz
Lord of the fish

Post by Gozz »

RayS wrote:
well compared to my old kingfisher anyway
How dare you? I mean.....OMG! How dare you. Getting wet is part of the game mate, and getting wet in a Kingy is...like...heaven. :lol:
I knew I'd ruffle some feathers with that coment. :oops:
I miss my kingie but I still own it's little brother a yellow Echo.
Cool little yak that is.
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

I don't know about the turbo fins but the sailing rudder is a must have!

I've been out in some good chop and have never felt at risk in my Outback. You just have to keep your wits about you and use common sense when you are in a small plastic boat.

Dig