Winner Leisure / Dave

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
Deefa
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie TI & 3.6m paddle yak

Winner Leisure / Dave

Post by Deefa »

I went for the first paddle in my new Winner Leisure / Dave kayak, around Lilydale lake.

It's a reasonably heavy kayak for 3.7m, was a bit heavy to lug to the launch spot but on the way back I propped it up on a shoulder, this was easier. Kayak trolley will be necessary (and stuck on the back will help with weight distribution).
Was pretty stable, and considering the average paddle supplied with it I found it pretty easy to keep moving at a decent pace (using lots of torso/core muscles in stroke). The google My Tracks I recorded indicated I could average just under 5km/h and I made it up to 7.5km/h for a couple of hundred meters. I was surprised with how far the kayak kept moving after I stopped paddling.
I was able to stand up (I have good balance, and it was flat water) but I am unsure if I could cast and fish while doing so - I'm bound to find out soon enough.

As reported elsewhere, the kayak is front heavy with no gear in the back, with just me and a paddle, pulling the (supplied) rubber bung out of the front scupper hole resulted in inflow of water into the lower cockpit area. Bum stayed dry until I tested the primary stability 'edge' when I was able to get some water in over the gunwale without tipping.
I think having a bucket with some ice slurry, a kayak trolley and milk crate of gear in the rear cargo area would just about balance the yak, I'll report back on this.

The rudder is quite good (at least for turning). After setting the right tension both sides, any forward motion and full rudder deflection results in the rear swinging around to point you in the direction commanded. Holding a set amount of trim rudder may be more difficult if only because of the spring return (which may well be removed).
The split pin holding the rudder assembly is minuscule and there is no washer involved. I can see myself drilling a beefier hole through the rudder shaft below the existing one and using a washer and better split pin. (Any reason not to do this?). Also, the rudder lines are cheap looking cord. I have some SS wire that I will look at installing.
With the noticeable front heavy nature with no gear in the back, the rudder was not fully immersed.

Back to stability, I was able to clamber forward to get to the front hatch (really front heavy then!). I found it pretty easy to exit and enter the yak onto the platforms about 30-40cm high near the launch area at Lilydale lake.

I didn't do any re-entries as the lake isn't that deep, pretty murky and I had a mates PFD on (mine should arrive today). It is not a high yak off the water so not anticipating any difficulties there but it's the first thing I'll do when I get to a bay beach.

These ducks didn't seem very friendly:

For some reason My Tracks stopped recording after a while (likely operator error). Here's the first track Google Maps link:

and the second after I started a new track Google Maps link:

More to follow as I take it on other testing and fishier missions.

Edit: forgot to mention that I can just fit my two piece 10' surf rod in through the font hatch.
It's going to be a wet ride in any sort of chop. Drysuit during winter I think.
wokka1
Yak Master
kayak: Compass

Re: Winner Leisure / Dave

Post by wokka1 »

Great review, thanks for taking the time.

As an aside, first time I've seen My tracks...looks easier than transferring stuff from the etrex to the pc, converting it etc. Will give it a go :up:
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Fishing... a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other
Deefa
Square eyes

Post by Deefa »

wokka1 wrote:Great review, thanks for taking the time.

As an aside, first time I've seen My tracks...looks easier than transferring stuff from the etrex to the pc, converting it etc. Will give it a go :up:
I have a samsung galaxy S3 smartphone which I use My Tracks with. I have used it while training for a triathlon recently.
To max battery life and run time, I disable notifications or the whole app of any apps that use background data (like google plus, email, etc) turn off wifi, bluetooth and inside My Tracks select a longer time between GPS samples (doing this is not much good for running or riding). Uploading/sharing is very quick.
I also have an iPEGA waterproof cover on a lanyard for the S3 ($26) which is pretty awesome (photo was taken through it), highly recommended. It's meant to fit the iPhone 5 but it is a bit loose inside.
Drew
Square eyes
kayak: 2008 Revolution Fish and 2011 Outback

Post by Drew »

Deefa wrote:

I have a samsung galaxy S3 smartphone which I use My Tracks with. I have used it while training for a triathlon recently.
To max battery life and run time, I disable notifications or the whole app of any apps that use background data (like google plus, email, etc) turn off wifi, bluetooth and inside My Tracks select a longer time between GPS samples (doing this is not much good for running or riding). Uploading/sharing is very quick.
I also have an iPEGA waterproof cover on a lanyard for the S3 ($26) which is pretty awesome (photo was taken through it), highly recommended. It's meant to fit the iPhone 5 but it is a bit loose inside.
I've found with my SGS3 when an app like My Tracks stops recording like that, it's usually because the phone has rebooted itself...

if you want really close sample times, Endomondo works really well - I use that on an old Nokia E65 which will run for an entire day with GPS tracking going... great for GPS Tagging photos if I'm out taking shots all day...
Yak PB's:

- Rock Flathead 45cm
Deefa
Square eyes

Post by Deefa »

Drew wrote:
Deefa wrote:

I've found with my SGS3 when an app like My Tracks stops recording like that, it's usually because the phone has rebooted itself...

if you want really close sample times, Endomondo works really well - I use that on an old Nokia E65 which will run for an entire day with GPS tracking going... great for GPS Tagging photos if I'm out taking shots all day...
I have only ever had a few reboots. I do remember having the phone out of the centre hatch near where it stopped, and it was aksing to save the track when I had a peek next time. Who knows. :shifty:
Deefa
Square eyes

Post by Deefa »

After my first 'fishing' (lets say dougnut, at least off the kayak) outing in Port Melbourne / Hobsons Bay I had found several litres of water in the yak hull after a bit over an hour.
I had a few waves break over me at the waters edge from a passing container ship, filling the cockpit 100% (with the scupper plug in for at least 30 seconds also)
I blamed dodgy chinese manufacturing/cost cutting techniques.
I ended up supporting the yak securely along the whole hull and almost filling it with water. Surprisingly the only leak I found was form between the circular cockpit hatch surround and the hull. All the through-hull bolts holding the footrests and rudder assembly were water tight, along with all the hull fittings.
I pulled the hatch & surround, to find just a little bit of sealant 'missing' where it leaked. All the bolts screw into moulded-in brass nuts, which I was not expecting on a cheapish kayak. Same for all the hull fittings - no sealing required as the nuts are moulded in during construction.
I used selleys all clear both sides of the rubber hatch gasket and tightened it down. It doesn't leak now.

I think the water I had get in was caused by me not tightening the hatch cover properly, leaving an appreciable gap wich let the water in when I was swamped.

The only quality related issue I have is there is quite a bit of porosity/bubbles noticable on the yak in various areas.

Still pretty happy with this yak, not so happy with the amount of good fishing days I have worked since I bought it but will be using every day possible in cleeland bight on holidays after easter.

I forgot to take any pics, I have the 360 degree rod holder installed centrally, 20l lidded bucket in the rear area, a landing net etc.
Thinking of a plastic create where the bucket is, cutting a hole in the crate bottom for the bucket and building some rod holders off the crate.
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Big Aluminium One

Post by Jenko »

As reported elsewhere, the kayak is front heavy with no gear in the back, with just me and a paddle, pulling the (supplied) rubber bung out of the front scupper hole resulted in inflow of water into the lower cockpit area.

Deefa, I can't remember where I seen them, but I came across "one way scupper valves" that would let the water out but not in, might help.
Cheers Gary...
WestVic Signs 0429 184 940
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Flathead PB 83cm Bream PB 43cm Luderick 38cm
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Ghurkin »

Jenko wrote:As reported elsewhere, the kayak is front heavy with no gear in the back, with just me and a paddle, pulling the (supplied) rubber bung out of the front scupper hole resulted in inflow of water into the lower cockpit area.

Deefa, I can't remember where I seen them, but I came across "one way scupper valves" that would let the water out but not in, might help.
I think babylon has one of those valves fitted :eh: but its not in his yak :evilgrin:
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
wokka1
Yak Master
kayak: Compass

Post by wokka1 »

Ghurkin wrote:[

This ?
http://www.akff.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... ay+scupper
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Fishing... a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Big Aluminium One

Post by Jenko »

Cheers Gary...
WestVic Signs 0429 184 940
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Flathead PB 83cm Bream PB 43cm Luderick 38cm