Hobie or Watercraft

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
maccayak
Square eyes
kayak: A clean one with no fish!

Re: Hobie or Watercraft

Post by maccayak »

I think it is all to do with marketing and brand exposure. The dealer network and brand exposure for native kayaks is poor. They are probably an excellent kayak. I have read that Shimano helped design the propel and may even manufacture parts for it. If they had a better dealer network I am sure things would be better. I dont think Capacity Sports are into fishing much, more general kayaking. I think they were once a Hobie dealer. (correct me if I am wrong)

Geoff
Geoff Mobile 0438 383 764

VYAK Member No 0003
matt
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie PA

Post by matt »

maccayak wrote:I think it is all to do with marketing and brand exposure. The dealer network and brand exposure for native kayaks is poor. They are probably an excellent kayak. I have read that Shimano helped design the propel and may even manufacture parts for it. If they had a better dealer network I am sure things would be better. I dont think Capacity Sports are into fishing much, more general kayaking. I think they were once a Hobie dealer. (correct me if I am wrong)

Geoff
Geoff
I own a "regular" kayak of Native Water Craft. Good manufacturing indeed. When I decided to go for peddles I took the Mariner 12.5 for a spin and also the ProAngler.
There is no comparison. The "proppel" system forces you to a very uncomfortable position - forget fishing... not to mention other issues with the propeller itself.
You are right Capacity Sport was a Hobie dealer. The question was which of the pedal drives is better. For me today the answer is Mirage.
cheers
Matti
ratfish
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Outback + mini x + AI

Post by ratfish »

Never tried the watercraft, but was doing a transition day with a high school the other day, they do a lot of work with recumbent bikes and solar challenges. Completely beside the point but apparently the position, lying down on your back is the most energy efficient style for pedalling. They might be onto something with the design, just sounds like they need some work on the fishing side.