Hobie or Watercraft

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
madfishman
Lord of the fish
kayak: Pro Angler

Re: Hobie or Watercraft

Post by madfishman »

matt wrote: another btw is that for reversing the PA or other Hobies - just turn the mechanism 180 degree and you reverse,,,, :lol:
cheers
matti

yep, Hobies DO have reverse, i have used it many times.

try one out and go with what youre comfortable in is my suggestion, but i am a Hobie Fan... 8-)
Cheers ,
Neilo

www.slhobie.com.au
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

What are you looking for in the kayak Matt, styles of fishing you like etc, any other water activities that you enjoy ?

edit; Sorry Matt, was it you and a mate of yours I met out at the mussel farm (Safety Beach) ages ago, I am hopeless with names :oops: .
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

matt
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie PA

Post by matt »

Yuri
You might be totally right I just want to know why.... :idea:
matt

Post by matt »

Rob thanks
I'm studying the matter cos I want to buy the right jak for me - looking all over the web and also asking you mates if you got anything specific for or against... :?:
matt

Post by matt »

maverick,
I agree with what you said so far but you know what....? I'm not so sure at the moment that the propel is a better solution for applying human energy for a yak. I can see some disadvantages... the propel will stop you when not activated - this will not happen with the fins... you see if you cannot turn the propeller at reasonable stable speed it may also generate some brake to your smooth movement. capish? :idea:
I thing that at least on point the Hobie wins. I wish to check few more issues...
matt

Post by matt »

bilby hi
thanks for your ideas.
At the moment I'm pretty sure that the Hobie drive is a better one for yaks. The propel is very good engineered smart and efficient little machine. my opinion is that the application is wrong - it does not work as on bicycle - if you cant keep a stable speed it will stop you because the propel stops. all the rest is just fine. I will have a spin on a Hobie soon I hope. Will love to give you my thoughts...
matti
matt

Post by matt »

eddie hi,
thanks for the info ( and also the copy paste part).
I agree on your last statement without even trying the Hobie - their drive is better for yaks.
As I started with yaks only last year (was surf fishing in SA) I'm still open to all options.
At the moment I like to explore the bayside waters anchor here and there, troll for a while and mostly enjoying :D
I don't like the weather to stop me from going yaking so I'm looking at a more safe stable yak . must also be comfortable so i can spend few hours
without seeing the physio later... wanted free hands to make fishing easier... so - I guess the wish list can be endless but I prefer to concentrate on
the real important issues. any ideas?
and to your last question - sorry it wasnt me dont have such a long history with yaks... and oops...I'm like you with names... :oops:
cheers
matti
Last edited by matt on 07 Jun 2010, 18:40, edited 1 time in total.
matt

Post by matt »

hi madfishman...
thanks for your thoughts
i'm still listening so anything you say may trigger some idea :idea:
cheers
matti
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

With an answer like;
At the moment I like to explore the bayside waters anchor here and there, troll for a while and mostly enjoying :D
Its clear to me that you need an AI, enjoyment is endless as is the exploring and it is great to troll off.
however the PA may have me with the comfort factor;
I'm looking at a more safe stable yak . must also be comfortable so i can spend few hours without seeing the physio later
The seat in the PA looks super comfy and the ability to easily stand for a stretch is a great bonus, the AI you sit in water 95% of the time but you can lay on the tramps and have a snooze and yes, you can stand up on the AI but the footing is not as good as the PA.

Notice the Water craft does not rate ;)
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

matt

Post by matt »

Eddie hi,
thanks. I understand u r talking first hand here - thats good !! what do you mean by "the AI you sit in water 95% of the time "... ?
and also have any problems at all with the AI? do you sail? what is it mainly used for? please feel free to PM me if you like.
cheers
Matti