Hobie Oasis?

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
ratfish
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Outback + mini x + AI

Hobie Oasis?

Post by ratfish »

Anyone played with the newer Oasis? Thinking this may be the answer to my problems right now, AI is to big for my van for storage so it's off the list :( :down: , the little guy is keen to get out more :up: and the big one is getting lazier going solo. From what I've read the Oasis handles pretty well as a solo (ignoring the weight factor etc) rigs up nicely with a sail and outriggers and may be my ideal solution, but can't find anyone personally that's had a run in one. May have to get down to visit Neil soon and check one out.
Revkevin
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Tandem Island

Re: Hobie Oasis?

Post by Revkevin »

I have the oasis tandem with outriggers and also have the hobie sail ,very happy with it.
see pic .
Attachments
kev & Geoff.jpg
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Big Aluminium One

Post by Jenko »

ratfish wrote:Anyone played with the newer Oasis? Thinking this may be the answer to my problems right now, AI is to big for my van for storage so it's off the list :( :down: , the little guy is keen to get out more :up: and the big one is getting lazier going solo. From what I've read the Oasis handles pretty well as a solo (ignoring the weight factor etc) rigs up nicely with a sail and outriggers and may be my ideal solution, but can't find anyone personally that's had a run in one. May have to get down to visit Neil soon and check one out.
PM sent.
Cheers Gary...
WestVic Signs 0429 184 940
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Flathead PB 83cm Bream PB 43cm Luderick 38cm
Age888
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie oasis, Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100

Post by Age888 »

Hi
I have the newer Oasis and I love it , I also have the sail and I think it sails fine for a Yak , I dont have outriggers and I dont feel I need them .
Its a stable and fast Kayak that is capable of fishing , sailing and camping out off.
As far as solo use goes I have never tried it solo , but with some weight ballast in the right place I think it would be fine.

I have a few videos on youtube having fun in the Oasis under sail and also fishing , if you need any more info feel free to PM me.

Cheers Adrian
CabinetMaker
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Outback - Ivory Dune

Post by CabinetMaker »

I have the 2011 ? Oasis (bought Oct 2011) and its a great machine on the water. It's quite manageable by myself being a pretty long yak, loading and unloading to the roof of the Xtrail with the Rhinorack T loader. On the water very comfortable and stable. If i'm fishing by myself I will put a diving weight belt up in front hatch to add some weight foreward. I found if you dont you will get the bow slapping the water a bit and steering is affected a bit too. It scoots along quite well with standard fins with 2 guys. I havent tried sailing from it so no idea of how that would go? Good for fishing and having a good time with your friends/ family.
My brother and my fishing mate liked being on the water in a yak so much they bought a outback and revo 13, not because of anything against the Oasis. they just didnt need a 2 seater. I'm tempted to sell it now that they have deserted me :cry: and get a single seater ( Outback or a PA 14 ) as I almost exclusively fish from it. Maybe a 14 as the kids will want to play on the yak at times with me.
Send me a PM if your intereseted :evilgrin:
Attachments
Web IMAG0048 (2).jpg
hurring
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: 2016 Hobie Oasis (olive)

Post by hurring »

I've got the oasis and love it. Have used it solo a few times and it rides a bit low at the back, but then again I might be a little overweight :o Went well without any weight in the front. A mate comes out with me and we both love fishing from it, have only been on lakes and rivers at this stage. Very stable. :up:
ratfish
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Outback + mini x + AI

Post by ratfish »

Thanks for the feedback guys, going to visit Neil soon and take one for a spin, really going to come down to how often the kids plan to come out and play. Everything sounds promising but then an AI would be more fun just for me ;)
Bozzie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Dune Pro Angler

Post by Bozzie »

If you want to use it double/single then you can't go past the Hobie Kona. Actually has 3 seats. Two up, or single.
You must be able to get them in Australia somewhere. http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaks/paddle/kona/
The Rubai-Yak of Hobie Khayyam
Mob: 0409234439

Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Post by Babylon »

Bozzie wrote:If you want to use it double/single then you can't go past the Hobie Kona. Actually has 3 seats. Two up, or single.
You must be able to get them in Australia somewhere. http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaks/paddle/kona/
Steve,(Ghurkin) has the Hobie Kona.Cheers Babylon :thumbsup:
Kingo
Lord of the fish
kayak: Olive Hobie Pro Angler 12

Post by Kingo »

There's two hobie konas on eBay at the moment one in Albury and one in Mornington both sub $1000