Native Mariner 12.5 Reveiw

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
Zvejys
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Native Mariner 12.5 Propel

Native Mariner 12.5 Reveiw

Post by Zvejys »

I bought the Mariner knowing it probably wasn't as good as the Hobie but the location of the shop near my place was a big factor. Being a cyclist I also liked the pedal-propelor system complimenting my riding exercise.
The other feature is the reverse propellor which is great to maintain a position, and often I use it when I tow my son in a smaller Seak Swift.
It is big, solid and heavy, so getting it home after fishing can be exhausting. I couldn't get it on the car without the swing-out bar.
But the stability is fantastic; I have tipped and lost gear in my son's kayak, but the Mariner holds up really well in larger waves. I have been in 0.5 to 1m waves and initially thought it too rough, but it handles them okay. Still have to keep my eyes on them rogue waves though.
I reckon the pedal-propellor is not as fast as the Hobie's; I average about 5kph in average slightly wavy conditions. After a while the upper hammies is where I feel a bit of fatigue so I take a leg rest and paddle for a while.
My major problem was with the mechanism siezing up after the long winter break. But Capacity Sports were great in replacing the whole unit; they said it had some corrosion.
The seat is comfy and the space under is where I initially toss my catch. No problems with space, there is room behind the seat to toss stuff also. At the back there is the big flat area where I can put the trolley if it take it with me. We did an overnight trip on Lake Eildon with tent, sleeping bags etc and it worked well.
The width of the trolley at 95 cms means that I cant get through some tight tracks.
So overall I am happy with the performance. It is a beast to cart around but once in the water feels stable.
Barracouta 55cm, Leatherjacket 40cm, Snook 80cm, Trout 60cm, Redfin 35cm, Flathead 49cm, Gummy 95cm, Silver Trevally 25cm, Squid 33cm, Austr. Salmon 52cm, Snapper 67cm
Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Re: Native Mariner 12.5 Reveiw

Post by Babylon »

Thanks for the review Zvejys,its good to get feedback on other makes of yaks they are all a bit of a beast on land
but on the water are great sounds like a great yak and service from Capacity sports is up There. :thumbsup: Cheers Babylon
Knogg
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler 12,COBRA,Fish and Dive,play

Post by Knogg »

Can you get some pics up.

I've seen a couple of vids and I thought the pedal system looked a little awkward and uncomfortable.

How efficient is the propel system. Taking into account you will get use to it after a few sessions.
"Every Fisherman has a story" but "Every KAYAK fisherman has a better one"
Toadhunter
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3, Pioneer Canoe

Post by Toadhunter »

Good review, thanks for sharing it. One of my friends has just bought one of these as well, and he is loving it, though he has only had it out in Karkarook and the Tambo at the moment.
Phils
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Phils »

Good review,
I tried out the native mariner and the hobie outback.There wasn't much between them but I ended up going with the outback back mainly because I liked the peddle action more in the outback and it was as you say a bit faster. Though if I was doing more fishing in rivers or lakes around snags I'd go for the native.The ability to reverse easily would be very handy.
doddsj
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: 2009 Hobie Outback

Post by doddsj »

Phils,

Hobie would be better amongst the snags. The ability to fold the fins flat to the hull is great rather than removing the drive as in the mariner. Plus the paddle gets me out of trouble very easily.

Cheers,
Steve.
Paps
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Outback & Heritage Featherlite 9.5

Post by Paps »

doddsj wrote:Phils,

Hobie would be better amongst the snags. The ability to fold the fins flat to the hull is great rather than removing the drive as in the mariner. Plus the paddle gets me out of trouble very easily.

Cheers,
Steve.
Agreed.

Also the ability to do short pulses of the fins in really shallow water to still move along and the fact that the mirage drive is much more resistant to damage.
The prop does sit deeper in the water to begin with also.
Gozz
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 and 2 ebay jobs.

Post by Gozz »

Phils wrote:Good review,
I tried out the native mariner and the hobie outback.There wasn't much between them but I ended up going with the outback back mainly because I liked the peddle action more in the outback and it was as you say a bit faster. Though if I was doing more fishing in rivers or lakes around snags I'd go for the native.The ability to reverse easily would be very handy.
Which one did u find more stable out of the two.

A mate of of a mate in America owns a PA and a 12.5 mariner and he always goes for the PA.
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Post by GoneFishn »

Mariner width 32"
PA Width 38"
Gozz
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 and 2 ebay jobs.

Post by Gozz »

GoneFishn wrote:Mariner width 32"
PA Width 38"
I was thinking more the mariner vs outback.