what to buy ??

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
mtport
kayak: none

what to buy ??

Post by mtport »

Lads

i am looking to get into this yak fishing caper and want to buy my first yak .
i have ray outdoors vouchers to use , so am limited to buying from here
also want to stay at the lower price end for the first purchase , will upgrade
after and proboably pass this one onto the girlfriend .

questions

1. can the foot drive system be added to kayaks or do you need to buy
one that has it

2. fitting of extras ie rod holders , is it easy to dyi with only a few tools

any advice / tips would be appreciated and look forwards to getting out fishing
maybe see some of you out some day

mt
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Re: what to buy ??

Post by mingle »

Hi Mike,

You're gonna have a great time on the water... :-)

If you're shopping at Ray's, I'd suggest looking at the Wavedance Kingfisher - it's a larger kayak, but unbeatable value for money...

1: The mirage-drive (as fitted in many Hobie kayaks) is specific to the Hobies and can't really be fitted to other yaks (without MAJOR re-engineering - don't think it's ever been done).

2: Fitting out the yak is part of the fun. It's usually easy to add all the bits you need and there is tons of info on the web about how to and what to add, etc.

Cheers,

Mike.
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

Hi Mike foot pedal drive is limited to most of the Hobie range of kayaks, the Native watercraft also has a foot pedal option. They will not fit any other kayaks without cutting and welding large holes in the hull, if you were to attempt :shock: I think the Native Watercraft propel system would be the easiest of the two which has a lesser performance than the Hobie Mirage drive. Any of the pedal drive yaks will set you back $2000.00 minimum, the ability to be hands free is great but as you can see from members on here, not completely necessary, paddle yaks do pretty good.

As for fitting bits and pieces, basic tools like drill, spanners, screwdriver and lots of silicone will get you by, a ruler helps if you want a neater job. Heat guns, soldering irons and hot kitchen knifes can be used to weld the plastic if need be but that's not very often.

As Mike said, the Wavedance is a good value yak for the dosh and sets up fairly nice. Welcome and enjoy.
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by Widsa »

As had been said the wavedance kingfisher is great value for the money.
I have one and really enjoy using it, everyone else I have seen with one loves em as well.

Pimping can be done with minimal tools.
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Post by bilby »

Hi mate, welcome to the world of empty pockets and living on 2minute noodles, and they reckon kayaking is cheap :shock:
Seriously as mentioned the Kingies are a great inexpensive yak to get out on the water, sure there are cheaper but imo they are crap. Next you have the next level like the ocean kayak prowlers 4.5 they are pretty good but about $1700 from memory, next you have the Hobies and Native craft pedal yaks, imo the way to go, hands free, easy to operate, very dry and stable, able to cover long distances very easily. On the downside these yaks are $2000+ and not really required to get out there. I would seriously go for the Kingy and if you upgrade later to a Hobie or something better, you still have a great yak for a second yak.
Cheers Bilby.
Last edited by bilby on 01 Jun 2010, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.
Bill 0409139460
nasman
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Outback & Wavedance Sierra

Post by nasman »

How are big are you? Where do you plan to fish? What kind of price range are you in?

I agree the kingfisher is a great choice for Ray's. But if that is too pricey for you, look at the Wavedance Sierra, which is a baby version of the kingfisher. It may be shorter and narrower but depending on your size, it can be a very good little yak. Lots of dry storage and a good sized well in the back. Mine is very well decked out and fun to fish out of. My advice if buying any kayak from Ray's is wait for a sale and often they also throw in a free PFD2 at the same time.
Regards,
Nasman.
Outback Fisherman
><((((º>......><((((º>.....<º))))><.....<º))))><
MitchT
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler

Post by MitchT »

Oi I'm the only mt around here :lol: :lol: :shock: ;)

I agree the kingfisher is a very good yak nice and stable, great for the bay.
Agree with all of the above ;)

Thanks, Mitch!!!!
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

nasman wrote:How are big are you? Where do you plan to fish? What kind of price range are you in?

I agree the kingfisher is a great choice for Ray's. But if that is too pricey for you, look at the Wavedance Sierra, which is a baby version of the kingfisher. It may be shorter and narrower but depending on your size, it can be a very good little yak. Lots of dry storage and a good sized well in the back. Mine is very well decked out and fun to fish out of. My advice if buying any kayak from Ray's is wait for a sale and often they also throw in a free PFD2 at the same time.
Good advise, and with June stock take sales coming up, its a great time to haggle a bargain :twisted:
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

winchbitch
Lord of the fish
kayak: wavedancer kingfisher

Post by winchbitch »

Can't go wrong with a Kingfisher for a first yak,very stable easy to paddle & not to heavy to load on to roofracks by yourself.
P.S. Rays are open to a bit of haggeling so don't go for the ticket price (keep the voucher thing to yourself until the deal is set)
P.P.S as Widsa & I always say the red yaks go fastest :lol: :lol:
mtport
kayak: none

Post by mtport »

cheers all for your comments
off to rays saturday to get a kingy then