What YAK?

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
moirae
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Revo "Fishless"

Re: What YAK?

Post by moirae »

Surf launches in a Revo would be an issue. They track like pigs when paddling with the rudder up and I cant imagine the Outback doing any better at all. It would be doable but a bit of a PITA in my opinion.

Other than that the Revo is a nice boat. If you only want to fish, get the Outback. They are more purpose built. Again, thats just my opinion.

IF by any chance you mean swell or chop when you say "surf", the Outback bobs like a cork and the Revo cuts through. You do get wet in a Revo, however they are a lot of fun to peddle around....

They are both outstanding kayaks IMO....Whatever decision you make you will probably still want the other one in six months. I honestly tossed a coin as I walked into SLH to buy one.
Kiwioz
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Outback

Post by Kiwioz »

Cheers gents
Had a look at the outback rev 13 and PA 12 at SLH today.
The AI looks great

In live in Melbourne>
would most likely launch with in the bay or when its not to rough. And off phillip island etc
love the aspect of the sail

Aim is to fish
sadly have a back injury and i have been told paddling is not he best but only in moderation, the peddles therefore are an attraction
hence the hobbie>
the PA 12 seat looks fantastic, Pity you cant fit a seat like that to an outback or AI, Rev

still a bit lost on what to look at.

ah the journey
bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Post by bilby »

For surf launches, theres only 1 Hobie pedal yak i'd consider, thats the Adventure/ Adventure island, your probably aware, but both share the same hull, so if the cash can stretch a bit further, i'd go the AI.
Hope you find what your looking for.
Bilbz
Bill 0409139460
Lvyakker
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie revo 13

Post by Lvyakker »

I know from experience that revos are horrid trying to paddle in wind but you can get better at it. As people have said AI are just one of the best ocean kayaks (with riggers) and they are the best to get through the surf out of hobies. Revos will get through surf on a good day without issue but that's on a good day. As people have said and on something I posted a while a go the AI beats the revo with and without riggers.

If you wanted a revo just surf launching/offshore because its cheaper then an AI then you should store your reels in a bag inside, I'm not sure how to store your rods in a revo though. I got my revo just because it cuts through chop and swell they are also very stable even if they don't feel like it at the start, I can stand up in mine but its interesting....

I'd say you'd be more comfortable offshore in an AI then anything else, don't get me wrong though I'm not bagging out my own kayak they're great and get along fast without as much effort. Paddle yaks are better for surf though.

I'd say if you want the peddles just go for it, you won't need to surf launch much for good fishing. One last thing, why would you want to surf launch at Phillip island just go off woolami. Hope that helps.
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

Lvyakker wrote:I know from experience that revos are horrid trying to paddle in wind but you can get better at it. As people have said AI are just one of the best ocean kayaks (with riggers) and they are the best to get through the surf out of hobies. Revos will get through surf on a good day without issue but that's on a good day. As people have said and on something I posted a while a go the AI beats the revo with and without riggers.

If you wanted a revo just surf launching/offshore because its cheaper then an AI then you should store your reels in a bag inside, I'm not sure how to store your rods in a revo though. I got my revo just because it cuts through chop and swell they are also very stable even if they don't feel like it at the start, I can stand up in mine but its interesting....

I'd say you'd be more comfortable offshore in an AI then anything else, don't get me wrong though I'm not bagging out my own kayak they're great and get along fast without as much effort. Paddle yaks are better for surf though.

I'd say if you want the peddles just go for it, you won't need to surf launch much for good fishing. One last thing, why would you want to surf launch at Phillip island just go off woolami. Hope that helps.
Tom, have you ever tried to launch an AI of through surf or return, also have you ever tried to store rods inside the hull of an AI ?? Based on my experiences owning an Adventure Island, I would be very careful promoting an Adventure Island (AI) as suitable for surf, specially to a complete novice. Certainly out of the Hobie fleet, a Hobie Adventure kayak is probably the better choice, but without the Island kit fitted. Offshore Adventure Islands can be very good, getting them in and out can be quite tricky, in hull storage can also be very difficult, specially if you do not have the amas (outriggers) for stability while you try to reach inside the front hatch, as the two 8" (center/rear) hatches are not really an option for rod storage.

Eddie
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

Get on the rod bending site as they are hobie dealers, from memory they have a page on their website where you can book test drives.

Might help you narrow it down a bit, nice to go down there for a drive to.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
Lvyakker
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie revo 13

Post by Lvyakker »

ELM wrote:
Lvyakker wrote:I know from experience that revos are horrid trying to paddle in wind but you can get better at it. As people have said AI are just one of the best ocean kayaks (with riggers) and they are the best to get through the surf out of hobies. Revos will get through surf on a good day without issue but that's on a good day. As people have said and on something I posted a while a go the AI beats the revo with and without riggers.

Tom, have you ever tried to launch an AI of through surf or return, also have you ever tried to store rods inside the hull of an AI ?? Based on my experiences owning an Adventure Island, I would be very careful promoting an Adventure Island (AI) as suitable for surf, specially to a complete novice. Certainly out of the Hobie fleet, a Hobie Adventure kayak is probably the better choice, but without the Island kit fitted. Offshore Adventure Islands can be very good, getting them in and out can be quite tricky, in hull storage can also be very difficult, specially if you do not have the amas (outriggers) for stability while you try to reach inside the front hatch, as the two 8" (center/rear) hatches are not really an option for rod storage.

Eddie
I meant hobies rather then anything else sorry.
No I haven't been in an AI but I wasn't saying that they're the best, but I know they're better at doing offshore compared to a revo is all I was trying to say. Probably should've said that both the revo and AI you can't store rods well.

But yeah I was mainly comparing revos to AI's.
:up: