What YAK?

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
Kiwioz
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Outback

What YAK?

Post by Kiwioz »

Hi There. doing the rounds and researching
keen on the outback or revo 13.
whats the real difference would love some help
how do they handle in surf?
Love the PA due to the seat but not much of a paddle yak I would assume and not many topics on surf entry
I would like to paddle peddle sail fish and just kayak for fitness. any suggestions?
our would the PA 12 be the way to go?

Paul
yakgear
Lord of the fish
kayak: y

Re: What YAK?

Post by yakgear »

native watercraft mariner 12.5 looks good for all that... currently a few topics about its versatility going around on a few other forums and a little less cost than the PA ...
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Post by GoneFishn »

Where are you launching :?: if its somewhere where you have to consistantly punch through surf I would personally be steering away from the hobies except for the Quest but even the quest isnt the best as there is not much rocker on it to help keep the nose from digging in.
Fitness wise a paddle yak would be better as once you learn how to paddle correctly you use your whole body not just you arms or legs.
vikodin
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2016 Hobie Outback

Post by vikodin »

GoneFishn wrote:Where are you launching :?: if its somewhere where you have to consistantly punch through surf I would personally be steering away from the hobies except for the Quest but even the quest isnt the best as there is not much rocker on it to help keep the nose from digging in.
Fitness wise a paddle yak would be better as once you learn how to paddle correctly you use your whole body not just you arms or legs.
Yeah I agree in my old paddle yak my legs hurt more than my arms at the end of the day.
If you don't intend on fishing in it, are just interested for the fitness side of things and want to use it more in surf I would be looking into ocean kayaks
madfishman
Lord of the fish
kayak: Pro Angler

Post by madfishman »

The reason why theres not many entries regarding surf launching etc is because it doesnt happen in a PA or any pedal related craft, but for purely fishing pleasure and capabilities the PA is second to none, the new PA 14 due to launch in NOV is the bee's knees of fishing yaks and im down for one..( i may biased to hobies, but thats because i love em ...a lot)

with regards to fitness, the constant fishing ( with plastics) and trolling with lures "should" see to that, but from what ive learnt its more to do with diet...i may not be the most fit guy here at 6ft and 110kgs, but i tell ya what my legs are now a fine tuned machine they can go all day...problem is i dont fish enough as i want and the top half is getting a little to comfy...

hope this helps...lol
Cheers ,
Neilo

www.slhobie.com.au
vikodin
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2016 Hobie Outback

Post by vikodin »

vikodin wrote:
GoneFishn wrote:Where are you launching :?: if its somewhere where you have to consistantly punch through surf I would personally be steering away from the hobies except for the Quest but even the quest isnt the best as there is not much rocker on it to help keep the nose from digging in.
Yeah I agree in my old paddle yak my legs hurt more than my arms at the end of the day.
If you don't intend on fishing in it, are just interested for the fitness side of things and want to use it more in surf I would be looking into ocean kayaks
Yeah forget what I said before, I just noticed you do want to fish :oops:
Rhino
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Streaker Tournament/Zodiac

Post by Rhino »

Kiwioz wrote:........I would like to paddle peddle sail fish and just kayak for fitness. any suggestions?
o
The Adventure Island will do all of these things better than anything else.
herbie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Stabicraft 1550 Fisher

Post by herbie »

I agree with rhino in that the AI will do everything you mentioned especially considering you also want to peddle. The only other yak you can peddle is the mariner as yakgear mentioned... However I don't think I have come across a member on vyak that has ever owned one (which in itself speaks volumes).

If you cut out peddling as a requirement there are a tonne of yaks that will suit your requirements. One with a great seat (still think hobie pinched it for the pa12 and 14 :D ) is the Jackson coosa.

Others worth a look include

Barracuda SOT
Stealth kayaks
Prowler
Viking
Wavedance kingfisher

All would be ok in the surf with my picks being the prowler and the barracuda.

The main concern with surf launching is being able to store rods etc so you don't lose them.

Good luck with the research and purchase
cheers

Herbie
0404 257 360
cruiser
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: AI

Post by cruiser »

Or do what have done ,get a hobie adventure add a pa sail and it will do everything you have asked for and more
mob 0423 492 759
bonaviaboy
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Outback olive + Moken 10 angler (Camo)

Post by bonaviaboy »

If you do want to stick with hobie you could still go for an outback or revo but I would strongly recommend the side kick arma (stabilisers) for some of the activities you would like to undertake. However if it was predominatly surf launching I would be looking at a paddle yak. Something long and narrow, like the prowler would be one of the better fishing yaks.

Also before you do surf launches I would strongly suggest playing around with another person present in calmer water and getting your confidence up. You don't want to chuck yourself straight in the deepend literally :mrgreen:
Cheers

Justin