PA 12 Vs PA 14

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
Yabbie
kayak: none

PA 12 Vs PA 14

Post by Yabbie »

HI Guys,
I will be buying a Yak shortly, although I have done plenty of fishing I have never used a kayak before, I am going to buy a PA, apart from the weight difference which doesnt bother me is the 12 better than the 14 or is it just personal preference, I will be using it in Port Phillip chasing snapper and whiting and also fly fishing for trout in the lakes, any info or opinions you guys could give me will be much appreciated, btw I have been a member for a while and have read a lot of what is on here although this is my 1st post, congrats on having a great site with such passionate members.
Cheers Yabbie
Kingo
Lord of the fish
kayak: Olive Hobie Pro Angler 12

Re: PA 12 Vs PA 14

Post by Kingo »

Hi Tim in case you haven't read it yet here's my review on the PA12 http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11033

I have heard afew guys who have fished out of PA14s for the last few years and now changed to PA12s have noted the 12 handles chop better and turns much tighter, speed wise I don't think there is a lot of difference.
Most of my fishing is with plastics in the bay and the 12 is the perfect boat for this.
Im pretty sure the cockpit on the 12 is only 50mm shorter than the 14, the front hatch and rear cargo area on the 12 are quite abit smaller than the 14 but still have plenty of storage room.

Good luck with your decision mate
Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Post by Babylon »

First of all welcome.
Having only owned a 14 and have read alot about the 12 it does seem to be only weight and length interior set up appears to be the same, the 12 would be better going up rivers and such tighter areas like you said boils down to preference, if possible take both out for a test and then you will have a better understanding of each,Hope that helps and also where are you based if you fill in location on info people would have a general idea where you are if wanting to join in a fishing trip.Cheers Babylon :thumbsup:
herbie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Stabicraft 1550 Fisher

Post by herbie »

Hey Tim, how big a bloke are you? Bigger guys tend to do better in the 14s but if you aren't a freak or a lard ar$e then you should be fine in a 12. With the knew 14 coming out there isn't much difference in terms of setup as the others have said.
cheers

Herbie
0404 257 360
Yabbie
kayak: none

Post by Yabbie »

Thanks guys testing them both out is a good starting point, i am about 6 foot and 80 kg's so i should fit into either one ok,I am really looking forward to giving kayak fishing a go, I have joined a few sites and read heaps of posts however this site is my favorite, thanks heaps for your comments and I look forward to catching up with some of you at millers once I get my yak organised and get some confidence using it on some sheltered waters first, again congrats on your site and your passion for this sport
Cheers Tim
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

The main difference's are in the storage areas in the front hatch and on the rear deck, the 14 may be a little deeper.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
Donkey
Square eyes
kayak: PA12 - The Appendage

Post by Donkey »

G'day Tim,

With the new PA14 you'll get all the mod cons that come with the PA12 but there are a few differences. I can only compare with the old 14 so here goes.. The PA12 is obviously a bit lighter but it's not a huge difference. I've got the 12 due to starage issues but would probably get a 14 next time if the situation changes. One advantage with the PA12 IMO is that it is much more manouverable on the water and will turn on a dime, espescially nice in chop, but a disadvantage is the decrease in storage space. There is noticeably less room beside the seat and I find 2 light rods with 2500 reels a tight fit and they also seem to get a lot wetter which ain't good when in the salt. The PA12 also seems to have a lot of water sitting around in the cockpit when it's rough, often where your reels sit. I think this is due to the PA having slightly lower sides. I've had my PA12 for a few months now and I'll be spending a few days fishing from a new 14 in a week, so if you bump this thread I'll do another comparison. What ever you get you'll probably wish you had the other one anyway, so good luck..
EEeee-ooorrrrrrrrrrrrr