Jackson BigTuna

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
Krisden
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Jackson BigTuna

Jackson BigTuna

Post by Krisden »

Took the BT out for it first paddle today in the Ovens river for an hour or so I left it setup in solo mode and left all the things that shouldnt be in the water at home ;)
Being my first yak its hard to say if its good or bad but i will say its big :shock: its seems really easy to paddle and i covered allot of ground with out realizing i had it stayed straight with out the rudder down
Im not real keen on the paddle i got with it :down: so i will save up brownie points for a better one after Xmas i guess
The seat is very good and you can move it up down forward back so many different spots :up: and very comfy its like sitting on a camp chair :thumbsup:
one of the good bits is the live tank in the middle its huge and you can move it up or down as well but having fish in there when Mr Toothy comes a calling im not too sure :?
Stability ? well not having anything to gauge off it seemed ok ,i could stand and cast, move around a little which was handy as i now know not to store the rods under the floor if you want use them :oops:
it was interesting getting them out on the water i didn't get wet or drop anything but i needed to remove the seat to get to the hatch as i wasn't comfortable steeping over it
I will be taking it out for a good fish tomorrow and will take some video and pics on the water

Pros so far
great seats, heaps of combinations for the seating
well setup for fishing with rod staggers ,live tank , bungees everywhere and gear storage
stable ,i can stand and cast and im no pro :)

cons so far
Heavy :!: 40kgs empty
limited storage when 2 in the boat
no owners manual ?

GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Re: Jackson BigTuna

Post by GoneFishn »

Gee it even comes with its own toilet :lol:
Jackson make some kayaks good to see one on here :up:
HaTTerS
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: None (temporarily)

Post by HaTTerS »

Nice report mate.
If you can stand up and fish comfortably, that's a huge tick for the stability of the yak. Also, tracking straight without the rudder is impressive too.
I've heard the same thing from people wanting to upgrade their stock paddle after buying a new yak. Apparently a good quality paddle can make a huge difference, but I think I remember reading that you should get some professional advice as to which paddle is best for you as there are different length/materials/blade styles to choose from (someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm no paddle guru).
Regarding keeping fish in the livewell, as long as they aren't bleeding, you shouldn't have any issues with toothies becoming interested.
Poised on the edge of sanity.
Kingo
Lord of the fish
kayak: Olive Hobie Pro Angler 12

Post by Kingo »

That's one cool lookin yak :up: I've always been interested in the Jackson kayaks
Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Post by Babylon »

Thanks for the report its always good reading about different makes of yaks broadens our knowlegde.cheers Jim :thumbsup:
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Post by GoneFishn »

HaTTerS wrote:Nice report mate.
If you can stand up and fish comfortably, that's a huge tick for the stability of the yak. Also, tracking straight without the rudder is impressive too.
I've heard the same thing from people wanting to upgrade their stock paddle after buying a new yak. Apparently a good quality paddle can make a huge difference, but I think I remember reading that you should get some professional advice as to which paddle is best for you as there are different length/materials/blade styles to choose from (someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm no paddle guru).
Regarding keeping fish in the livewell, as long as they aren't bleeding, you shouldn't have any issues with toothies becoming interested.
Correct the right paddle can make a huge difference. There a several different designs that all have slightly different characteristics. When I got my Prowler I slashed out on a $300 carbon Speed wing paddle. A winged paddle is definitely not for a beginner but they are a fantastic paddle to use once you get the technique right (I'm no expert by any means) these paddles are great for long distance touring. What ever you do do not get a aluminum shaft there is no place for them. Get at least a glass shaft paddle as it will be lighter and go for a asymmetric paddle blade as these are a more efficient blade (symmetrical blades travel through the water easier but need more work than a asymmetrical blade)

Here is a good link explaining the difference in paddles.
http://www.canoe.org.au/?page=24410&format=
Krisden

Post by Krisden »

GoneFishn wrote:
Correct the right paddle can make a huge difference. There a several different designs that all have slightly different characteristics. When I got my Prowler I slashed out on a $300 carbon Speed wing paddle. A winged paddle is definitely not for a beginner but they are a fantastic paddle to use once you get the technique right (I'm no expert by any means) these paddles are great for long distance touring. What ever you do do not get a aluminum shaft there is no place for them. Get at least a glass shaft paddle as it will be lighter and go for a asymmetric paddle blade as these are a more efficient blade (symmetrical blades travel through the water easier but need more work than a asymmetrical blade)

Here is a good link explaining the difference in paddles.
http://www.canoe.org.au/?page=24410&format=
Not sure I understood any of that but Im in Melb this week so i will have to find some kayak shops and ask for advice on getting a better paddle
going off info in that link i have a bad paddle :wtf:
bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Post by bilby »

Thats a cool yak mate, i like it.
Bilbz
Bill 0409139460
manonaquest

Post by manonaquest »

yeah your correct as to paddle types ,lenghts and blades hatters and also correct in saying as long as there isnt a fish bleeding in the live well should be allgood :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Krisden

Post by Krisden »

Update on how the bigtuna is going. Its big and long ,it grabs the wind on open water (you can almost sail and troll :) )
The live tank is great. I have drilled holes in it to let water in to keep the fish alive but it works so well its hard to catch the little buggers (very alive squid are very active)
I found the first neg with it ....if you find a smaller tree under the water you can get stuck. It pushes the tank out of the way and that's it your stuck :oops: the first time it happened, I had to get off the yak and lift it off. The second I sat on the nose and reversed off it and stayed there and paddled over backwards to the guys i was fishing with for a laugh :lol: The third, I just lifted the tank and used my foot to push off the tree thru the hole in the floor. Simple when you clue on. ( I was in a really wooded area where I would never get my V Nose boat so i was pushing my luck)
Stability, well what can i say it fool proof, even I can stand up and walk to the nose and sit down to get off the log i was stuck on :oops:
Cool things I've found are
1: you can remove the tank and hang your feet in the water while paddling (not sure if it as fun in salt water) it was nice on the 40 deg day when some one pointed it out to me the way I was sitting side saddle
2: storage room on the yak is huge. I have setup an esky behind me but couldn't work out what to put in there as your fish can be stored in the live tank so i carried my tackle bag there leaving the front of the boat empty
3:The yak doesn't sit low in the water at all. You can float over stuff others get stuck on (until you push your luck) with 2 ppl in the yak its still stable and the back person can control the yak leaving the front person to cast even standing up it needed
4: its easy to paddle holds straight , holds a good pace and you only need the rudder when the wind really picks up even then as a new paddler i was still able to keep course with out it.
5: the seat is awesome it keeps you out of the water and no numb butt but i will say my back still got sore after 5 hours in the seat intill i moved it too the high position then it was all good
6: this yak is really setup for fishing :thumbsup: all the fittings are pure fishing ,rod staggers ,clips to hold gear ,even places to hold tackle .... they say it was built by a fisherman I believe them :shock:

Bad points ive found
1:The weight.......... its not has heavy as the PA bit its still 38 KG with out gear im lucky im quite big so i can man handle it around but it's right on my limit :o it is a duel setup yak I guess
2: The wind ............I know its a comprise yak but it was turning me a lot until I worked out if a sat-up and evened the weight more forward it was hard to stay on track ( will say when I kneeled just off the seat closer to the middle and paddled this yak really moved even sitting up off the back rest got it flying ) with 2 full sized paddlers this think will really get moving :thumbsup:
3: Its setup to solo or tandem fishing so being at the back you need 2 sets of rod holders and in tandem you lose a lot of storage area (I know get over it)
4: Lack of access to the inside of the hull ....you cant get to the inside of the front so getting things like batteries or sounder senders are hard to place ,I tried to place one in the scupper but it was broken after 3 trips so now I'm back to working out a spot to place it in the hull
5: price !!!! this is a really upper price yak at $2300 its a upper end paddle yak (very well made but still)

Over all im happy with the yak..... i can take my kids with me and still solo paddle as well as have them facing me so they can just have fun and i can see their face when they catch the fish or lose one

and i can head out on my own with all my gear if a want too Image
Its alittle big to get on my car but i can do it soloImage
...tho it fits in my van with out a problem :thumbsup: Image
The quality is great ,nice thick walls, the fittings are well thought out and even the rudder controls are setup so you just turn them around to make them usable solo or tandem.
I added a anchor trolley ...some rod holders and was ready to fish
Kris