Pro Angler 12 tried and Tested (Altona Pic'sVid)

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
Knogg
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler 12,COBRA,Fish and Dive,play

Pro Angler 12 tried and Tested (Altona Pic'sVid)

Post by Knogg »

Firstly guys I Love it,

I don't want to go over the same things as everyone else, I'm not going to just say how awesome they are and leave it at that,
That being said The Pro Angler 12 is Awesome, But going from my Cobra Fish n Dive Is a very Big change and not because of the fact its a step to pro Angler Associated commonalities,

My Fish n Dive is very similar in stability so i had no shocks there All of the things that are really different for me to get use to are the fact it's a Mirage drive, This will take some getting use to, Im not a long legged person and I feel some one really short would have trouble, I'm not short but i am 172 cm but i have shortish legs for my height and I noticed if you were real short you wouldn't have much to play with.

Stability Yes its stable and on calm flat water you could dance a jig and fit in a hand stand, swell ridden water whilst standing affects your balance, It's not tippy but getting the balance in your legs still needs getting use to, and not to be taken for granted. I noticed this having a pee over the edge.

I haven't ever used a Mirage drive before yesterday and ill tell you with honesty, It's fantastic but my legs are sore and thats attributed to being my first yak session for a long while and a stint from 11:00 am to 5:20 pm with no anchoring. A few more sessions and those muscles will be more than happy to do that day in day out.

Having a Rudder is very new to me and that will take getting use to, I had trouble keeping it straight I've heard plenty of mention of upgrading to sailing rudders, I don't think this will be nessecary I got more use to it as the day went through.
I Pulled up for another chat to another couple of Yakker's and guys if you get close to anyone have your paddle ready. it takes a little bit to tightly turn away. This is something you just get use to. but if you have never used a mirage drive it can be a last minute thought as I Found out.

My Biggest concerns had been weight and size and how the hell I was going to get it on the roof of my VW Amarok. This has really really been stressing me before and after my purchase, That Concern has completely gone, 50 kgs is a lot for a yak but you never dead lift the thing, Its Flat bottom stops it tipping and rolling from your grip and the weight actually balances really well. The VW Amarok is a big 4 door 4x4 ute much like a Toyota Hilux sports bars/roll bars are a must. I just open the tailgate and place a towel on the top then with the trax wheels installed i roll it forward and lift the nose onto the tray. I ten go to the rear and push it as far forward into the tub until the trolley is at the tailgate, I remove the wheels and push the Pa all the way into the tub. At this point i get in the tray and lift the nose up on to the roll bar and push forward to the rack, I may have even pushed it the whole way from the rear to the roof racks I can't remember but it was easy.

Back on the water it moved well and I had no concerns with speed and size The Biggest asset to a PA is the space and access to everything is Awesome, you can stretch your legs and get to anything at anytime with out the slightest issue of capsizing I always had a knife next to me for killing fish, line spools for leader and line cutters. This was the two elastic netting pockets that made this great. I used the left nylon gunnel mounting board like a bait board just for a single stab when dispatching my catch, access to anything on those gunnels is a little bit of a reach away and you do need to lean forward to do so.
I would like a rod holder either side of me a little closer so I may mount some on the side rails for this.
The horizontal rod storage is fantastic !!!! This allows you to have no vertical rods to obstruct when flicking lures or plastics with a single rod or drifting with one rod in use, But I love it because I hated packing and unpacking rods to setup this saves so much time and creates a lot of space in the car on trips as does the vantage seat being something you can leave in. These have been pet hates with conventional Kayaks. The time you need to pack to go out then all the time setting it up and packing up again to come home, this makes the entire experience so much smother and more enjoyable and stress free.

There isn't a lot of space on the sides of the seat when using the horizontal rod storage method, a pair of 4000 sized reels would be tight. So you need to be a little careful when picking the rod up and a twist and pull to manuvere reels past each other is required.EDIT:(I have now been informed that my next point is actually covered and there are provisions made tv at I hadn't put 2 and 2 together)endEDIT I would have liked a locking strap or something to make sure they stay there in travel or worst cased you were to flip, it would ensure your rods stay put, I'll see what options are available for this but it's something i would like to add.

Not forgetting the front hatch size is great, I keep my wallet, phone, and keys all in water proof containers still to be safe, Im yet to set up the hatch with two tackle trays and under seat storage trays. I have a very large bait locker I keep all my Berkley Gulps and similar plastics in juice safe and together, This managed to fit at the front of the yak and wasn't in the way of the mirage drive.

I'll stop here for now I've rambled long enough, I did get alot of small flatties I dropped a few big somethings before sighting them and kept 3 Flattie's over 55 cms and 1 over 30 cms
PA200537.JPG
PA210541.JPG
PA210542.JPG
PA200540.JPG
little youtube view of the yak from a few good angles.
Excuse the lack of editing and production work to the video there's something wrong with the program and its barely working

Last edited by Knogg on 21 Oct 2012, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.
"Every Fisherman has a story" but "Every KAYAK fisherman has a better one"
Knogg
Lord of the fish

Re: Pro Angler 12 tried and Tested (Altona Pic'sVid)

Post by Knogg »

Ohh and I just remembered that the frame in the video jumps around and wiggles about it looks like an epic failed video effect. That's caused because I let YouTube auto correct unsteady filming.

And was nice to meet rhino the Altona guardian overseeing the days happenings :lol: I also had YouTube promote one of your vids in there recommended viewing sections.
I saw wanabee and his mate and had a fish with Matt can't Remember his forum name. Sorry if I forgot the others names.
Kingo
Lord of the fish
kayak: Olive Hobie Pro Angler 12

Post by Kingo »

Glad you like the PA 12 mate :up:
How long does it take you to get to millers from lower the plent? I've gotta start fishing there I think, it's probably closer to us than Ricketts.
Your legs will get used to the mirage drive, also the fact you've gone from never using one straight onto turbo fins would make it worse on your legs.
Knogg
Lord of the fish

Post by Knogg »

Surprisingly manonaquest the flag didn't get in my way at all. It is only there temporarily because SLH is waiting for stock of the light pole type. I already had the whip flag that goes into the star port but it fitted straight in what I think is a sail plug in point.

And kingo it's not that far if your in early/no traffic. Less than 40min you would either go a back way which sometimes the GPS steers me on past the back of Preston or coburg or something. I haven't gone the ring road version yet I normally run up the eastern or Clifton hill way thru Carlton past the Melbourne zoo and onto the city link road to the west gate. I think it took me 45min in Saturday arvo traffic. If not less
Dibbles
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: PA12

Post by Dibbles »

Great report on the pa . And it's pretty much how i find it to use, and also transport. Have to agree with the rod holder situation, not great for bigger reels. as far as rod holders i just put a railblaza on both sides, and just added an extension to one and it makes a big difference when fishing and ease of reach. The only thing that i noticed was when it wash very choppy water can splash over the sides and spray the reels, also had swell over the front and come down the sides and do the same thing. With securing the rod in the holder there's a toggle under the side rails that lock onto a cleat under the seat on each side. Great for securining them when traveling. They don't move.
Knogg
Lord of the fish

Post by Knogg »

Kingo wrote:Glad you like the PA 12 mate :up:
How long does it take you to get to millers from lower the plent? I've gotta start fishing there I think, it's probably closer to us than Ricketts.
Your legs will get used to the mirage drive, also the fact you've gone from never using one straight onto turbo fins would make it worse on your legs.
I think you hit the nail on the head I've heard mention of caution on the forum before come to think of it that turbo fins can have that effect.
Knogg
Lord of the fish

Post by Knogg »

Yeah cheers dibbles ill have a look at that. Do you mean that retractable elastic out of the rail.

I'm not too worried about them getting wet I just hose after every trip and oil them if I'm not bring a bum!!
The salt water that the line pulls in is enough to warrant a good hose and oil job.

Yeah great yaks very comfortable but again even the things that aren't at arms reach isn't much of a problem because there is space so it's easy to move forward and grab what you need. Unless you just crack a JD can and the second rod wiggles and buckles down. Then there needs to be a little more composure before moving forward.
herbie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Stabicraft 1550 Fisher

Post by herbie »

nice write up Corey. I am surprised there aren't bungee straps to lock the rods in when stored horizontally. There are certainly straps in the 14.

The come out of the grab rail.
cheers

Herbie
0404 257 360
Knogg
Lord of the fish

Post by Knogg »

herbie wrote:nice write up Corey. I am surprised there aren't bungee straps to lock the rods in when stored horizontally. There are certainly straps in the 14.

Yes it has those.

Just went and had a look I found the little toggles to attach to. Thank you.
Kingo
Lord of the fish
kayak: Olive Hobie Pro Angler 12

Post by Kingo »

herbie wrote:nice write up Corey. I am surprised there aren't bungee straps to lock the rods in when stored horizontally. There are certainly straps in the 14.

It does have them, they pull out of the rail and hook on under the seat