Re-yak

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
Toadhunter
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3, Pioneer Canoe

Re: Re-yak

Post by Toadhunter »

explorer wrote:not keen on em herbie... not like i used to be,for quite a few reasons,shouldnt say anymore i'll get my arse sued for slander
I wouldn't be too worried about that Dan, and would be interested to hear your thoughts. I'm not in the market for a new yak myself having just bought added the Prowler 4.3 to the fleet (is 2 a fleet?), but I'm still interested in what else is out there and often field questions from friends who see how much fun I have and are thinking about getting into it for themselves.
M_Wrigh
Apprentice
kayak: AquaYak Bigfish

Post by M_Wrigh »

Ok now, not keen on the tarpon 100, feels like a slightly larger version of what I am getting rid of so I guess the Bigfish has preference. Had a look at the wavedance range ( looked identical to AquaYak) but either too small or too big. Next step I guess is to test a Bigfish
herbie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Stabicraft 1550 Fisher

Post by herbie »

Hi mate, I went in to see Neil at action yaks today and he has a couple of kingys for sale at $700 including a seat and paddle. I brought a kingy and took it out for my first paddle today and was really happy with it considering I top 125kg. Worth a look. If you do go in tell him herbie sent you. Alternatively, if you want to try one i will be at the grammar school lagoon tomorrow.
cheers

Herbie
0404 257 360
manonaquest

Post by manonaquest »

yeah evan the trouble i had with aquayak is in regards to leaking hatches(leaking a lot not just a little,up to the point of sinking),no after sales service.brought a brand new trolley from them for a scout that they promised would fit ...didnt fit at all...no chance of refund coz apparently "thats the one i wanted". i thought they were great when i started yakin,and they are while ever you throw heaps of cash at them...but the after sales service is absolute f'n shite to be honest with you.
Toadhunter
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3, Pioneer Canoe

Post by Toadhunter »

Well there you go. Surprising that a local company selling their own products would be that way. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Cheers
Evan
M_Wrigh
Apprentice
kayak: AquaYak Bigfish

Post by M_Wrigh »

manonaquest wrote:yeah evan the trouble i had with aquayak is in regards to leaking hatches(leaking a lot not just a little,up to the point of sinking),no after sales service.brought a brand new trolley from them for a scout that they promised would fit ...didnt fit at all...no chance of refund coz apparently "thats the one i wanted". i thought they were great when i started yakin,and they are while ever you throw heaps of cash at them...but the after sales service is absolute f'n shite to be honest with you.
Hmm bad after sales service counts for alot in my book. Was your experience at Hoppers or Bentliegh?
Wedge
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie PA 12

Post by Wedge »

Hi everyone, I'm a new member of the forum and currently do not have a Yak but I have been doing a bit of research on various models. From my perspective I'm interested in Safety & Stability and at the moment I think the PA 14 with the "Vantage" seat would be hard to beat. I'm hoping to go down to Melbourne tomorrow to have a look at one and ask a few questions about options. Loading systems are also another consideration which I will have to sniff out. Are there distributors that parlay on price or is the price pretty much the same over all retailers?
Bozzie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Dune Pro Angler

Post by Bozzie »

Wedge wrote:Hi everyone, I'm a new member of the forum and currently do not have a Yak but I have been doing a bit of research on various models. From my perspective I'm interested in Safety & Stability and at the moment I think the PA 14 with the "Vantage" seat would be hard to beat. I'm hoping to go down to Melbourne tomorrow to have a look at one and ask a few questions about options. Loading systems are also another consideration which I will have to sniff out. Are there distributors that parlay on price or is the price pretty much the same over all retailers?
Price is pretty well fixed, but, the options you need is where the negotiations come into it. Life vest, roof racks, loading option, kokatat pants, boots, tc.
The Rubai-Yak of Hobie Khayyam
Mob: 0409234439

herbie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Stabicraft 1550 Fisher

Post by herbie »

aye, its true that the PA be the power in these here waters but nothing will match the Outback for speed. Both retailers will be disinclined to acquiesce to your request for a reduction in the number of dubloons to purchase said vessel as Bozzie has stated however both will come to the party with other booty to sweeten the deal.

Not sure where ye are based but you can visit Scott Lovig in Morningtown or Neil and Lynn and Action Kayak and Sail in Geelong for a gander.

good luck
cheers

Herbie
0404 257 360
Wedge
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie PA 12

Post by Wedge »

Thanks for the reply Bozzie & Herbie, I pretty well thought the price from different outlets would be stiched up. I take your point on the accessories. I'm based in Alexandra and intend to go down to Mornington.

Many thanks :wave1: