Re-yak

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
M_Wrigh
Apprentice
kayak: AquaYak Bigfish

Re-yak

Post by M_Wrigh »

So I am selling my little moster. I have been doing some research online and am thinking of a new yak, looking at the Aqua-Yak range, specifically the Scout. I was thinking I should go for something over 3 meters for better stability on the bay but not sure. With Aqua-Yak being made in hoppers crossing I would assume they are better suited to local conditions. Any advice??
Chevvy
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie PA14, Riot escape 12, Wavedance Calypso

Re: Re-yak

Post by Chevvy »

Aqua yak are relatively popular as are the wavedance range. I went through a few stores recently and never got as far as aqua yak after seeing the riot escape at Melbourne kayaks and buying it on the spot. It will depend a lot on where you want to fish and what you want to carry. I'm by no means a yak expert much more a beginner, but this is what I found when looking into buying one. My riot cost $899 new with rudder and seat, awesome value, I think yakgear has a bigfish he is doing up so specifically on the aqua yak range Might pay to throw him a pm.

All the best with the search mate
Salmon 50cm, squid 40cm, port Jackson 110cm, KGW 37cm, elephantfish 53cm, Snapper 53cm, ling 39cm
herbie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Stabicraft 1550 Fisher

Post by herbie »

Not entirely sure mate as there are a number of factors to take into account such as:

what you are intending to do with the yak
Your weight/height
Your strength (to lift the yak for transport)
How far are you intending to paddle/travel
Your budget

I dropped in to Aquayak over the weekend to look at their kayaks and overall I thought they were quite nice.

The key thing is to match the yak to your goals/circumstances such as some of those mentioned above and see what you come up with.

However, I am picking that as your little black yak was a tiny wee thing that you aren't a 120kg weekend warrior so the scout might be a good yak for you.

Also check out Gumtree, eBay, tradingpost and the classifieds here as you can often find a good yak at a reasonable price. I know there is a member selling a Viking Esprit at the moment for $800 that is a good solid yak with a great reputation.

She also has a Kingy but I have a feeling that little sucker won't last long.

If you can, try before you buy too so you can find a yak that is suited to your needs. Whatever you look at I can guarantee that someone on the forum will have one and will only be too willing to let you have a test paddle and try it out.

hope that helps
cheers

Herbie
0404 257 360
wokka1
Yak Master
kayak: Compass

Post by wokka1 »

M_Wrigh wrote:So I am selling my little moster. I have been doing some research online and am thinking of a new yak, looking at the Aqua-Yak range, specifically the Scout. I was thinking I should go for something over 3 meters for better stability on the bay but not sure. With Aqua-Yak being made in hoppers crossing I would assume they are better suited to local conditions. Any advice??
Mate, I don't want to sound critical but I read the report about your initial trip and I got the impression that you were very in-experienced on a yak and...this is only my opinion...you loaded up your yak with gear and jumped in head first. Unless your yak is an absolute heap (which i kinda doubt as even cheapies are usually a copy of something proven) you stand a fair chance of getting in strife again regardless of what you paddle until you've taken the time to get comfortable paddling. You need to start out in benign conditions with no gear till you are comfortable with the way the yak moves about and reacts to your body movement and paddling as well as wave motion etc. Once you are used to that then step it up with a bit of gear and a bit of chop. I know we are all impatient to just get out and fish but if you take the time to get comfortable on your yak you will enjoy yourself a helluva lot more and your fishing will be more productive as well.

Just my 2c worth, back into my hole now :thumbsup:
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Fishing... a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other
Byron
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Tarpon 100 & Heritage Featherlite 9.5

Post by Byron »

I was looking into them recently and nearly got one. In my opinion the rod holders are positioned a little too far forward so paddling is compromised. I understand there can be stability issues if you're not heavy enough for the yaks (can't remember if it was one of the scout, snapper or bigfish or all of them). Otherwise I think they look like pretty good value. Nice and portable. Aussie made. Shop in Bentleigh on Nepean Hwy. I opted for the Tarpon 100 instead. Look into it, check them out at No Limits Water Sports in Seaford. You'll get new yak and paddle for just under $1k and it's good quality too. Took mine out on the bay the other day in a bit of chop and had no stability issues at all.
herbie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Stabicraft 1550 Fisher

Post by herbie »

wokka1 wrote:
M_Wrigh wrote:So I am selling my little moster. I have been doing some research online and am thinking of a new yak, looking at the Aqua-Yak range, specifically the Scout. I was thinking I should go for something over 3 meters for better stability on the bay but not sure. With Aqua-Yak being made in hoppers crossing I would assume they are better suited to local conditions. Any advice??
Mate, I don't want to sound critical but I read the report about your initial trip and I got the impression that you were very in-experienced on a yak and...this is only my opinion...you loaded up your yak with gear and jumped in head first. Unless your yak is an absolute heap (which i kinda doubt as even cheapies are usually a copy of something proven) you stand a fair chance of getting in strife again regardless of what you paddle until you've taken the time to get comfortable paddling. You need to start out in benign conditions with no gear till you are comfortable with the way the yak moves about and reacts to your body movement and paddling as well as wave motion etc. Once you are used to that then step it up with a bit of gear and a bit of chop. I know we are all impatient to just get out and fish but if you take the time to get comfortable on your yak you will enjoy yourself a helluva lot more and your fishing will be more productive as well.

Just my 2c worth, back into my hole now :thumbsup:
x2 very wise words
cheers

Herbie
0404 257 360
yakgear
Lord of the fish
kayak: y

Post by yakgear »

Bloke sent me a pm and will come down and give the big fish a spin, luckily also have a kingy that he can have a spin in..

Very wise words wokka..

Good thing though that M is here on vyak asking the questions .. :thumbsup:
manonaquest

Post by manonaquest »

well said wokka x4
M_Wrigh
Apprentice
kayak: AquaYak Bigfish

Post by M_Wrigh »

Ok so heres where I am at. Did some running around today looking at some Yak options. Checked out AquaYak in Bentleigh, stop it at Annaconda, Lookied in at Aussie Disposals and Rays outdoors. Also popped into the little yak shop on Nepean Highway in Seaford and I think I have narrowed down to choice of 2. Either AquaYak Big Fish or a Tarpon 100 from the local shop. around the same money (can get a 2nd hand Big Fish fully kitted from AquaYak for $750) Coments??
This time I will test paddle first
yakgear
Lord of the fish
kayak: y

Post by yakgear »

Good work.. Make sure you test first and see how it feels for you.