Tested the new beast

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
Chevvy
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie PA14, Riot escape 12, Wavedance Calypso

Tested the new beast

Post by Chevvy »

Managed to sneak off from work bout an hour early today and get down to lilydale lake to give the new riot escape 12 a run. Having not been in a yak for over 3 years, the start was a little unstable but once she got going it was all good. I'm a decent sized guy, weighing in at just over 100kg I thought it might struggle but she cruised along with little effort, the rudder, although a little hard to get used to made a massive difference and made the yak track great, I never thought it would have as much effect as it did. Looking forward to getting back out there and practicing some self rescues then chucking some rods on and going after a couple of the rainbows and browns they are releasing tomorrow morning
I know this isn't in the review section but I have nowhere near the experience to write a review on a yak but I will add, for a budget yak under 1k to get started in the hands of an inexperienced yaker this thing is great value, only downside is the seat back support is useless but I have an idea I will fish for info in the DIY section

Cheers,

Chev
Salmon 50cm, squid 40cm, port Jackson 110cm, KGW 37cm, elephantfish 53cm, Snapper 53cm, ling 39cm
kads

Re: Tested the new beast

Post by kads »

sounds like a good review to me chev..well done on gettin a yak :thumbsup:

edit - I just googled riot escape 12 pics and see it has a pretty good seat...what problem are you having with it..?? are the straps adjusted correctly.??
Chevvy
Square eyes

Post by Chevvy »

The back support slips if I lean on the backrest, my butt slides forward and I end up in a messed up position. My lower back isn't in the best nic though so I might just be a little soft
Salmon 50cm, squid 40cm, port Jackson 110cm, KGW 37cm, elephantfish 53cm, Snapper 53cm, ling 39cm
kads

Post by kads »

It shouldnt slip if the straps are tightened correctly mate..I have the same sort of seat and I can lean back and the seat dosent move at all...do you have a closeup photo of the seat when the straps are done up..???
does your seat look like this..?
Chevvy
Square eyes

Post by Chevvy »

kads wrote:It shouldnt slip if the straps are tightened correctly mate..I have the same sort of seat and I can lean back and the seat dosent move at all...do you have a closeup photo of the seat when the straps are done up..???
I will take some snaps tomorrow when when I get it off the roof of the car
The seat straps look similar mine has plastic clips that ain't the strongest
kads

Post by kads »

ok...it could just be a minor strap adjustment needed :thumbsup:
Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Post by Babylon »

Thats good enough for a review Chevvy you can always add to it.Cheers Babylon :thumbsup:
bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Post by bilby »

Hey mate, good review if you ask me, you don't need to be a seasoned pro to write one, its more a review from your perspective, which you have nailed.
As for the straps, firstly check the straps are fed through the buckle correctly ( believe me, i've seen new yaks that are wrong) if that looks good, get the seat positioned where its comfy, then tie a half hitch in front of the buckle, that will hold it from slipping.
Cheers Bilby
Bill 0409139460
Chevvy
Square eyes

Post by Chevvy »

Got some pics but struggling to work out how to upload them with an iPad (photo bucket etc wont let me upload) will go over the straps in the morning, then might take it out for another quick test, get used to launching etc and using the rudder
Chevvy
Square eyes

Post by Chevvy »

This is the seat, I have half hitched the straps, it's better but I'm still not the biggest fan

Also took the beast out on it first official fishing trip this evening, so I guess I'm now a yak angler. Never caught anything but learnt more about my yak than I could have ever imagined. Need to sort out a few things, I need to make a anchor trolley, the one it comes with isn't flash, I need a bigger anchor and need some more rod holders in different spots. I think I might also knock up a rocket launcher to carry 2 spare rods so I don't have to change rigs between bait and lures but all in all its getting easier. I was amazed to find how much yacking is like golf, the harder ya try the harder it is. Got a quick blurry pic after I got back to the ramp, it's not the best but here is my beast