Hobie Pro Angler 12 Review

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
Kingo
Lord of the fish
kayak: Olive Hobie Pro Angler 12

Hobie Pro Angler 12 Review

Post by Kingo »

Alright guys as promised a couple weeks ago here is my review on the new Hobie Pro Angler 12.

I bought my first fishing yak in 2010, its a Hobie Outback and I've fished extensively out of it for the past two years so throughout this review I will be making comparisons.
The Pro Angler 12, I've been looking forward to putting my butt in one of these since I first caught wind of them.
The day finally rolled around when my tax return cleared and I was straight down to SLH to pick up my new toy, great service provided by Scott and Rich as always :up:
I use a trailer to transport my yaks so loading and unloading is no different to the outback. Transporting the PA12 from car to the water is relatively easy it's no harder than the outback, infact I would go as far to say its easier simply because of the moulded carry handles and been able to plug the wheel cart into the middle scupper under the seat which balances the yak quite well.
On the water the PA12 comes into a league of its own, horizontal rod storage, large front hatch with liner, pivoting tackle management system and best of all the vantage seat.
I'll start with the horizontal rod storage, this is great for people fishing around low hanging branches etc. It keeps your rods down low and out of the way, although for fishing in the bay (where most of my fishing is done) I find the rods tend to get in the way a little when standing.Image
The large front has ample room for your lunch,wet weather gear and spare tackle etc, I haven't noticed too much water entering in yet.Image
The pivoting tackle management system is located in the center hatch between your legs and comes with two blue Plano tackle boxes. I find these tackle boxes great for bream lures, packets of plastics and jig heads. I tend to keep my most frequently used items in here. There is also a mesh pocket on the underside of the hatch lid that I use to carry spools of leader material.Image
Now vantage seating, all the things you've heard about the seat are true, it's super comfortable, super adjustable and super cool. The vantage seat is one of the biggest innovations in fishing kayaks since the mirage drive, made of a 3D mesh this seat stays cool on the sunniest of days and dries very quickly. The seat bottom is adjusted up or down by twisting the right armrest and the seat back adjusted by twisting the left armrest. also featured on the seat is adjustable lumbar support via a BOA system incorporated into the seat back, simply twisting the knob on the back of the seat tightens up the lumbar support in the seat back.Image
Speed wise I found the PA12 to be similar to the outback on flat water but as soon as any chop came up the PA12 was noticeably faster. As for stability like its bigger brother the PA14 this yak is super stable, not once have I felt unstable whilst fishing from this yak, I stood up fishing plastics in the bay last trip out in a 1-2 foot chop and even while standing I felt safe and secure. I think if you ended up in the drink i think it would be from over balancing and falling out. The steering is good and responsive, it does take a couple of pedals before you will start to turn but once turning the PA12 turns ultra tight. I found the tracking to be good, I did have to make minor course corrections when going straight although no more than the outback with sailing rudder.
Overview:
All in all a great platform for fishing weither its bait, lure or fly. A stable, responsive, very well thought out fishing kayak.
Thanks for reading my review of the Hobie Pro Angler 12 I'll see you on the water - Kingo
viperdevil
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Hobie Outfitter & Sevylor Pointer K2

Re: Hobie Pro Angler 12 Review

Post by viperdevil »

Congrats on your new baby.....Nice review and love the yak, i'm so tempted to get one myself but only thing holding me up is the one seater....i always like to take someone along for company.
Praz
cruiser
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: AI

Post by cruiser »

Great review Darcy and thanks for shareing it with us :thumbsup: nice yak and may she reward you with plenty of mojo

cruiser
mob 0423 492 759
kads

Post by kads »

wow....what a beast....one day...one day !!! ;)
wokka1
Yak Master
kayak: Compass

Post by wokka1 »

Are the purple shoes part of the accessories package ?

Been looking forward to your review since you first mentioned it. Thanks for taking the time :up:
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Fishing... a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other
Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Post by Babylon »

Show off :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Thanks for that it is a great looking Yak
Enjoy it Cheers JIm :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Yacker
Yak Master
kayak: Yellow PA and red Q kayak

Post by Yacker »

Mate, lovely yak :up: Like the little pocket inside the lid for leaders, perfect

Thanks for putting up the review, really appreciate it :thumbsup:
Many and strange are the universes that drift like bubbles in the foam upon the River of Time
Drew
Square eyes
kayak: 2008 Revolution Fish and 2011 Outback

Post by Drew »

thanks for sharing, Darcy :) definitely makes me want one...

great colour too - we have an olive Revo and Outback...
Yak PB's:

- Rock Flathead 45cm
Knogg
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler 12,COBRA,Fish and Dive,play

Post by Knogg »

viperdevil wrote:Congrats on your new baby.....Nice review and love the yak, i'm so tempted to get one myself but only thing holding me up is the one seater....i always like to take someone along for company.
Get an iPad and skype. Hehehe :lol:

And exactly what I'm after. I'll be on the band wagon soon. Was talking to scott before and it looks like I'll have step up my plans sooner than thought.

I need to decide if I tell the missus or hide it between my two cobras in camo olive green :shhh:

Looks like a caldia as well nice!!! And I'm even thinking of taking up fly fishing again so I'm glad that got a mention.
Great review. But would have liked another view on roof loading. As a trailer isn't an option for me.
"Every Fisherman has a story" but "Every KAYAK fisherman has a better one"
Gozz
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 and 2 ebay jobs.

Post by Gozz »

Awesome review.
Are you thinking of selling the outback now.