Hobie Pro Angler 12 Review

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
Trutta
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie PA 12

Re: Hobie Pro Angler 12 Review

Post by Trutta »

Great review Darcy, I to have upgraded from an outback to the PA 12 and agree with everything you have said. The PA 12 is an awesome fishing platform. I have been out in the PA 12 in conditions that were far from perfect, while the outback would handle the conditions it would require attention to the waves etc. in the PA I safety drifted around setting the sounder and checking everything out without feeling unstable even side on to the waves. Standing up in the PA 12 is a breeze. Like you said the seat is awesome. I spent 10 hours on the Nicholson and got out feeling better than when I got in. With all that deck space the one thing I miss is the sidewells on the outback, I used to put all used lures in the sidewells to use again or wash up after fishing. I now carry a small tackle box for this purpose, which is probably better in case I tip the PA. As for the weight, you do notice the PA 12 is alot heavier when you start to peddle but once under way the PA 12 handles beautifully. Hobie really have thought of everything with this yak.
pablo
Apprentice
kayak: hobie PA 12

Post by pablo »

great review on the PA 12 im real keen to get mine when i get home now. its purchased but still sitting in the shop waiting for me to pick it up once i get home from work.
Quick question though life jacket what brand is it and how much you get it for it looks ideal for the job in hand
Kingo
Lord of the fish
kayak: Olive Hobie Pro Angler 12

Post by Kingo »

pablo wrote:great review on the PA 12 im real keen to get mine when i get home now. its purchased but still sitting in the shop waiting for me to pick it up once i get home from work.
Quick question though life jacket what brand is it and how much you get it for it looks ideal for the job in hand
The pfd is a stormrider yoke, I think it was $120 from memory not a %100 sure. Scott lovig stocks them
Drew
Square eyes
kayak: 2008 Revolution Fish and 2011 Outback

Post by Drew »

just had a closer look at the photos - how have they installed the anchor trolley at the back? is it using the inbuilt captive nuts, or some other way? I do like what they've done with the front pulley...
Yak PB's:

- Rock Flathead 45cm
Kingo
Lord of the fish

Post by Kingo »

Drew wrote:just had a closer look at the photos - how have they installed the anchor trolley at the back? is it using the inbuilt captive nuts, or some other way? I do like what they've done with the front pulley...
The brass inserts for the anchor trolley are in the standard positions on the side (not used) and the anchor trolley is installed with well nuts which works very well, you just have the give them a tighten up every once in a while which I've only needed to do once.
pablo
Apprentice
kayak: hobie PA 12

Post by pablo »

thanks for that great review by the way
Scrumpy
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Scrumpy »

Nice review. I used the PA12 for a few days during the 2012 Hobie Worlds and was very impressed with it :up:
http://www.saltwaterkayakfisherman.com
Team Hobie UK
Lowrance Pro Staff
YakAttack Pro Staff
Drew
Square eyes
kayak: 2008 Revolution Fish and 2011 Outback

Post by Drew »

Kingo wrote:
Drew wrote:just had a closer look at the photos - how have they installed the anchor trolley at the back? is it using the inbuilt captive nuts, or some other way? I do like what they've done with the front pulley...
The brass inserts for the anchor trolley are in the standard positions on the side (not used) and the anchor trolley is installed with well nuts which works very well, you just have the give them a tighten up every once in a while which I've only needed to do once.
out of interest, why'd you mount it that way? Just curious...
Yak PB's:

- Rock Flathead 45cm
Kingo
Lord of the fish

Post by Kingo »

Rich from SLH chucked it on for me when I bought it it's the way they have been doing tournament yaks, it's like that because it is a lot neater than having it on the side of the yak and it runs to midway along the yak because I never anchor from the front.