Hobie Quest

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
Barracuda
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie quest 13 , Aquayak scout

Hobie Quest

Post by Barracuda »

Hi guys, After extensive research and also some luck, being in the right time at the right time , I have managed to picking up a used hobie quest( revolution without peddles) and I am seriously impressed! After contemplating yaks like,profish 45, malibu x 13, tarpon 120 and nearly putting down deposits on ocassions, the quest came available from a guy and it was an unwanted gift. The maiden voyage was interesting as the yak really suprised me with speed and stability, however it was a very windy day and the tracking was quite poor without a rudder. After dealing with hobie dealers in Geelong ( very helpful) I was able to fit the rudder and the tracking and manoverability has improved greatly.Other great features of this yak is the ability to move around easily, sit sideways with rock solid stability and easily reach the forward hatch or rear well, mods include Condor 238 sounder and anchor trolley which really has made this boat much more fishy.The quest came with trolley , seat, rodholders and a heap of other cool stuff, I. Guess if you are prepared to be a bit patient, good boats will come up in time! Soon i will sell the beloved Aquayak scout, and I will miss it being my first yak, but really looking forward to snapper fishing on the quest.I would highly recommend anyone looking for a well thought out paddle kayak to consider the quest which is effortless to paddle and able to cover longer distances with ease .Saturday off altona went out in 1 to 2 foot chop and felt very comfortable for 5 hours, what a great boat!!'
Cheers Barry
Byron
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Tarpon 100 & Heritage Featherlite 9.5

Re: Hobie Quest

Post by Byron »

Thanks for the review
Tipsta
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Pro Angler ( itildo )

Post by Tipsta »

Glad to see your enjoying the Yak.
Look forward to hearing a fishing report soon

Cheers Tip
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Barry, I agree wholeheartedly, the Quest is a great yak for anyone wanting an allround paddle yak that's a great setup for fishing. I also found the rudder was a very whorthwhile addition. A lot of people seem to overlook the Quest for other yaks forgetting that Hobie make a great range of paddle yaks and they really know how to make a fishing kayak. I've done over 100 trips in my Quest in some pretty varied conditions and once I was used to it, I rarely felt unstable even in heavy conditions.

I've now stepped up to a PA14, mainly because I was feeling claustrophobic in the Quest on long 8-10 hours stints (I'm 6'4"), wanted to cover more distance comfortably and have a faster setup. However I'm still keeping the Quest for the occasional paddle and for one of my sons to use. :up:
0408 565 763
Barracuda
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie quest 13 , Aquayak scout

Post by Barracuda »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies, In my situation I felt because I am a smaller bloke at 80 kg and 5,7 , I felt right at home in this yak especially coming from the scout which felt alot less stable, so automatically it seemed more confidence inspriring and was improved over the scout in all areas except for the wet footwells in the quest, the scout was very dry ride.Thats not to say that the scout is a bad yak as I have many great trips in it, and I will miss the ease of loading / unloading and the comfort etc. Having not test paddled the Quest , before purchase time and judjing it only what I read from this site about the revolution and quest (similar/same hull shape) gave me the confidence to make the purchase and it turned out to be a good choice! I did get caught out in 15 to 20 knot gusts at one stage in the scout , a northerly that blew me out from shore off Williamstown, and it was bloody hard work and a bit scary to get back in. this was another thing that attracted me to the quest , the ability to go to windward efficiently and have confidenece when the weather turns crook. The water in the footwells is overcome by scupper plugs so this isnt really a big issue in the scheme of things. look forward to snapper season!!

Cheers,