6x4 extension for PA

peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

6x4 extension for PA

Post by peatop »

I've been dragging my kayaks around on a 6x4 box trailer while trying to decide on a design suitable for carrying one or two kayaks while retaining the box for general use. After some hours scouring threads I've come up with what i think will work, I've decidedvto extend the drawbar to bing the total length to 4m and build a bolt on frame which will enable me to carry one on the frame and the other on the floor or the raised gates or the trailer.

Atm im using some 75mm pvc on the gates for the PA to sit on, should i put a cross bar part way to support the pvc or just leave it to flex to the shape of the PA when sitting on the gates?

I've also put roofracks on my car and made/making some easy loading attachments for these as well.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Re: 6x4 extension for PA

Post by shane »

I've done similar with a 6x4 and am very happy with it. For the AI I just let the PVC deform to the shape of the hull. I haven't put the PA on the same rails but you would need to judge the weight and position with it on to determine if a cross brace is needed. You will probably find the yak is forward enough that you need an extra support up forward. I've added a storage box at the front before the extension of the draw bar and this provides my extra forward support.
0408 565 763
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

Yah i was thinking a bow stop or 2 if needed, what's best to use for padding on cross members?
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
shane
Vyak Addict

Post by shane »

peatop wrote:Yah i was thinking a bow stop or 2 if needed, what's best to use for padding on cross members?
The cross member should be under the PVC and only there to support weight and stop it flexing too far. Put the yak on the PVC first then install the cross member to support it without affecting the contact with the hull. You want the PVC to still act as rails to slide the yak on and off.
0408 565 763
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

shane wrote:
peatop wrote:Yah i was thinking a bow stop or 2 if needed, what's best to use for padding on cross members?
The cross member should be under the PVC and only there to support weight and stop it flexing too far. Put the yak on the PVC first then install the cross member to support it without affecting the contact with the hull. You want the PVC to still act as rails to slide the yak on and off.
Yah yah i got ya thats goin to have to wait till i got the rest sorted or it will change, the padding on the cross members i were talking about were the one on the upper framework to support the second yak or the PA when not on the floor or gates.
shane
Vyak Addict

Post by shane »

peatop wrote: the padding on the cross members i were talking about were the one on the upper framework to support the second yak or the PA when not on the floor or gates.
For that I would look at marine carpet or similar, possibly with some foam or rubber under. It depends how you load on and off. If there's not much sliding then something like pool noodles will do. But if you need to slide the pool noodles will wear out quickly.
0408 565 763
monty
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Papaya Hobie pa 14

Post by monty »

Resized_20170224_140503.jpeg
This is what I have been using for 3 yrs now and works well for me
The timbers are 90×45 wall studs coverd in marine carpet and the cross pieces are the same timber used to separate the rails at the right spaceings front and back as well as stopping the rails from sliding on the ladder racks.
The piece of timber in the middle sits inside the mirage well but the hull doesn't rest on it when the yak is at rest on the rails (I am lifting the yak up in the pic).
Have been over some rough tracks long of road stretches and never felt un easy about the way it sits .
I use kunulocks to tie down. :up:
I have made a 2nd bunk to use on the gates of the trailer as well and it works just as well .
Pb snapper 90cm 9.2kg. Flathead 63cm. Ting 42cm. Pike 98cm. Brown trout 54cm Toolondo. Redfin 46cm wartook.
gummy 112cm. ellie 89 cm . :yahoo:
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

Yah i was looking at marine carpet yesterday, it should do the job quite well.

Luke for the floor timber would certainly be ok, but the PA has quite a bowed bottom that i wonder how much is supported, using something wth a bit of flex would help the yak sit lower in the cradle, thanks for your idea and pic everything helps in the decision to make it work best for my situation ;) wood would definitely work for my other yak as it has a more flat bottom.
westy
Lord of the fish
kayak: hobie compass and adventure island

Post by westy »

When l had my PA,l used white pvc pipe and slid some orange elec/pvc inside that, neat fit and strengthened the set up well while still allowing flex.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

I fitted 2 lenths of treated pine with marine carpet directly on top of the box of my trailer and over the last 2 years it's been perfect, however the salt and age of the trailer has taken a toll
20200610_164302_copy_734x1305.jpg
:wtf: :lol: a bit of outside income certainly has come in handy and l had bought some galvanized shs new floor plate and yesterday started the dismantling process :shock: l knew it was going to be bad but not serious :wtf: today l finished the dismantle
20200611_155942_copy_1632x918.jpg
cleaned of all the rust on the subframe that was left (replaced not so long ago) sprayed it with fishaline and ready to start building the new subframe tomorrow, but thinking seriously about another trip to the steel suppliers to make an extendible draw bar.
I couldn't find secondhand roofracks for my commodore so had to buy them new so im almost back on the road for trips away :yahoo: :up: