Trailer Overhang

Spiegel35
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Revo 13

Trailer Overhang

Post by Spiegel35 »

Hi Guys,

Found this recent article- I have a 8 by 4 trailer- hope this means I can overhang up to 5 metres?

The Victorian Government recognises the important role water sports and recreational activities play in promoting health and well being in the community. Accordingly, a Gazette Notice has been published to allow trailers transporting water devices and gliders to exceed the regulatory rear overhang limit. This information bulletin sets out the new rear overhang limit and operating conditions for these trailers to ensure the equipment is transported safely.
The Gazette Notice sets a maximum rear overhang of 5.0 metres for glider trailers and trailers transporting water sport devices.
The increase in the rear overhang limit means that the maximum length of the trailer when carrying a load increases from the regulatory limit of 12.2 metres to a new maximum of 13.5 metres.
To read more about the rear overhang exemption please click on the following link: Class O Rear overhang Exemption_v2 
Thursday September 14th, 2017 11:53am -> Monday April 10th, 2017 1:55pm
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Trailer Overhang

Post by laneends »

[url]fhttps://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/~/media/files/d ... .pdf?la=en[/url]

http://www.gazette.vic.gov.au/gazette/G ... 17S002.pdf

"A trailer constructed to transport:"..ie not your box trailer
monty
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Papaya Hobie pa 14

Post by monty »

I have a 7×4 that i had made with ladder racks and front and back tail gates with an extra long draw bar spacificly for carrying two pa 14 ns .
Been through plenty of booz bus stops and random checks with no prblems .
Both yaks hang out the back 1m and they never even look twice i think its easy to read to much into it just dont be a dick on the road and be respectfull of others and you won't have a problem.
I wouldn't do it on an unregistered 6×4 though :up:
Attachments
Screenshot_20171128-165436.png
Pb snapper 90cm 9.2kg. Flathead 63cm. Ting 42cm. Pike 98cm. Brown trout 54cm Toolondo. Redfin 46cm wartook.
gummy 112cm. ellie 89 cm . :yahoo:
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

this is a good call and really much the same as the trailer yacht rules that were 12.5 meter trailer with a 4.5 meter over hang max

these rules had to come in as trailer yachts carry there weight around midships unlike most boats with the max weight to the rear that meant the axles had to move forward to carry the weight or the draw bar weight would be through the roof and of cause more over hang

just one thing with the old rules and I guess with this new format you still need to have more load area in front of the axle group that behind so for most of us that doesn't change much as by the std 3.5 max you had to have over 3.5 meter forward of the axle group so really untill you go over 7 meters in length of you kayak it doesn't matter
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

I agree cheater it's all in the "load carrying area" the overhang is relative to this.

6x4s can give you problems in this regard, movable axle and longer drawbar will help.

A boat trailer has a longer load carrying area than a box trailer so the overhang will be longer, its relative to axle postion verse load capacity.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

Question is if you stick an upright support on the drawbar of a stock box trailer to support kayak nose does that constitute a longer load area, and hence greater rear overhang capacity in the eyes of those who would enforced it..Or would it have to be an approved purpose design rather than a DIY knock up.

And then we get into the discussion of the other week where a trailer including overload in excess of 3m needs to be registered as well.

For the most part i am sure cops dont make a fuss unless its obviously ridiculous or they are having a crackdown

I like how the yanks do it when they have half the kayak sticking out the back of a ute and its all fine..
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

laneends wrote:Question is if you stick an upright support on the drawbar of a stock box trailer to support kayak nose does that constitute a longer load area, and hence greater rear overhang capacity in the eyes of those who would enforced it..Or would it have to be an approved purpose design rather than a DIY knock up.

And then we get into the discussion of the other week where a trailer including overload in excess of 3m needs to be registered as well.
yes the trailer needs to be under 3 meters long and no wider than the car - not used for a business and it can get away without being regoed - however that is only in Victoria if you tow said trailer over the border it must be regoed

and it is not a DIY knock up if the design is done to carry a load - by building a support to hold the front of the kayak you have added to the load carry and now it is designed to carry that kayak
of cause tow bar weight still has to be with in spec but not many kayaks will add a lot to that
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

Grey area topic. If I built a trailer id get cheater to certify it and the cops would take that as unspoken law :up:
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

choppers wrote:Grey area topic. If I built a trailer id get cheater to certify it and the cops would take that as unspoken law :up:
i take anything cheater says as unspoken law.. :thumbsup: Thats why i paddle a pedal kayak, cos cheater reckons its not a real kayak if you dont paddle it.. :lol:
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

laneends wrote:
choppers wrote:Grey area topic. If I built a trailer id get cheater to certify it and the cops would take that as unspoken law :up:
i take anything cheater says as unspoken law.. :thumbsup: Thats why i paddle a pedal kayak, cos cheater reckons its not a real kayak if you dont paddle it.. :lol:
Lol.
when i lived on the S.A. Vic border, there was an understanding between police and RTA that if a vehicle (trailer) didnt need to be registered in Vic then as long as your vehicle towing said trailer was Vic registered then it didn't need registration. I owned vehicles registered in both states but could only tow my trailer with Vic registered vehicles, this was fine anywhere in the south east of S.A. not sure about anywhere else or other states.
An interesting point for me is when is when is enough moding enough and you better just adding roofracks? I use a trailer to cart my yak around, and prefer it to roofracks, however it's not always convenient (parking issues), i have thought about making T bars for my trailer which would allow better transport for my yak and more room in the box for other equipment, but then roofracks would do the same thing.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm