Trailer Overhang

Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Re: Trailer Overhang

Post by Wind Waker »

chrisw wrote:
cheaterparts wrote:that's true but how much does the rust repairs cost - or damage to the car by dropping the yak down the side - how much does a tow bar cost if you fit it your self
A Hayman Reese with electronics for the Camry is about $600 delivered, fitting is a few hours. Unfortunately many modern cars (mine included) don't tolerate splicing the trailer wiring straight into the indicator and brake lights as they monitor the current and will detect it as a fault. Hence the cost of a towbar has to include a $200 magic box that hooks into the wiring in a factory-approved manner :shock: ... this also makes getting one from a wrecker a little more complicated.

That said your comments about rust are a good point. If the Jeep was a little more reliable (it's 20 years old now and has a few idiosyncrasies - including no A/C) I wouldn't bother but as I was thinking of doing Eildon in January I guess I need to make up my mind.

If I do get a roofrack I guess I could reserve its use to only freshwater trips or the very occasional long-distance saltwater ones.
Using led lights on the trailer can get you around the need for a relay box most of the time
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.