designing trailer seeking advice

Frank
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Outback

designing trailer seeking advice

Post by Frank »

hi guys,
before i purchase anything and start any welding. i better check with you experts may give me some bright ideas and avoid some wrong doings.
i have a old trailer1.9m by 1.3m
would like to transport two hobie sport kayaks. and accessory and rods..esky etc. possible wetsuit and snorkerling gears as well.
here is my sketch.
please comment and make it as good as possible.
my next door neightbour is a professional welder he will do all the works as long as i provide the drawings. FOC. i am taking him kayak fishing as well.
yakgear
Lord of the fish
kayak: y

Re: designing trailer seeking advice

Post by yakgear »

check out tipstas trailer and then speak to cheater ..
Frank
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by Frank »

can anyone help me to find tipsta's trailer pics?
Frank
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by Frank »

tipsta trailer?
yakgear
Lord of the fish
kayak: y

Post by yakgear »

don't know if he has pics up yet Frank.. but its awesome.. and purpose built for yak and travelling..

pm cheater see if he will give you some advice he once worked in the trailer game i think...
Munroe
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler 14, 420 Renegade

Post by Munroe »

I believe ,if Tip hadn't gone out and got himself a new trailer, he's gone one better and placed a sleeper compartment on top with storage cages underneath and the battleship on the bottom.... Really nice work :thumbsup: can't find the pics though.

Here's a pic of my trailer which is the same model from ezy trailer.
image.jpg
image.jpg (38.46 KiB) Viewed 5507 times
For the price, around $700 delivered to your door in box form, they're not bad. If you're going to add more things to it, meaning extra weight, I'd suggest replacing the hitch, and maybe the axle. Cheater has already expressed his opinions on the provided axle, but if you're just carrying one or two yaks, 100 kg or so you'd be fine

Hope this helps
Munroe
http://www.munroessoftplastics.com.au
PB snapper-83cm Flathead-68cm, Dusky Flathead-80cm,EP-39cm Bream- 38cm,Tailor-58cm, Mulloway-85cm
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

yakgear wrote:don't know if he has pics up yet Frank.. but its awesome.. and purpose built for yak and travelling..

pm cheater see if he will give you some advice he once worked in the trailer game i think...
yes I had my own Engineering work shop that I closed down a few years ago - part of that was Cheaterparts Custom Made Trailers
one of the members on Vyak has one of my old trade trailers as his yak trailer

in the past we made and designed al manner of trailers from std box trailer to 5th wheeler trailers

I've been doing some mods for tiptsa on his trailer - still not finshed . the guys on the W/E saw how that is coming along
Munroe wrote: Here's a pic of my trailer which is the same model from ezy trailer.
image.jpg
For the price, around $700 delivered to your door in box form, they're not bad. If you're going to add more things to it, meaning extra weight, I'd suggest replacing the hitch, and maybe the axle. Cheater has already expressed his opinions on the provided axle, but if you're just carrying one or two yaks, 100 kg or so you'd be fine

Hope this helps
I'm not sold on the ezy trailer myself - yes it will probaby do the job
with tiptsa trailer there have been a lot of add ons but the things I dont like on the ezy trailer

Axle as its been stated - the spings we have fitted 5 leaf springs to Tiptsa trailer the suspention now works the short 3 leaf std spring didn't move
the small wheels do not run as well as the 14" wheels the trailer now has

I'm building a basic trailer for myself ATM a 8 x 4 trailer with a 6' draw bar for my yak - of cause there are always mods that may come along for my yak tranporter as well with more camping on the cards
I've just upgraded the car to one without rust - putting saltwater on the roof every week for the last 3 years has taken its toll
trailers are cheaper than cars

by the way guys I also have the tools and do a bit of aluminium welding ( both Tig and Mig ) also do stainless welding and of cause steel
something that most here wont need but I have also tig weldeed cast iron
I also have an 8 foot folder to bend up sides or boxes out of sheet that can bend up to 1.6 mm sheet
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Tipsta
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Pro Angler ( itildo )

Post by Tipsta »

I'll find the time today to take a couple of pics and post them tonight Frank.
Your doing the right thing by not rushing into anything and making costly mistakes.

Cheers Tip
Frank
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by Frank »

thx very much tip n cheater for the info. I am very careful this time cause it is going to tow 2 yaks...