Trailer for Pro Angler - Feedback Needed

DantheFishoMan
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler

Trailer for Pro Angler - Feedback Needed

Post by DantheFishoMan »

As I'm getting a new car shortly I have re-visited the idea of putting together a trailer for my pro angler (I don’t want the new car to have roof racks). I have designed a few since having it but none have really suited my needs and then I had the roof rack set up so I dropped the ball on the idea for a while.

Having never actually built a trailer before I haven’t studied and design rules so please feel free to let me know if I've missed some really obvious stuff. I want to know people’s opinions and or concerns with my design.
I have attached an image that shows a few different views but if you need me to answer anything or give you a different view please feel free to ask.

Here is a short list of what I'm after in a YAK trailer.
1. I want a trailer that is light enough to easily manoeuvre it around the driveway and in the garage BY HAND. Not to mention being able to man handle it at beaches and boat ramps if required.
2. I didn’t want the trailer to be much longer (if at all) that the kayak. Keeping in mind the PA is already 4.2mtrs long.
3. I wanted it as narrow as possible. Again for ease of use and storage. Its currently 1300mm wide at the widest point.

Also please be aware that certain areas have been purposely left out as I haven’t finished all the details. For example it doesn’t have any axles or running gear. I need to speak with a trailer parts supplier for this. Also the tow hitch is just a representation, not the real shape.
Light Weight Pro Angler Trailer.jpg
Cheers Dan

"live it, breathe it, love it!"

Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Re: Trailer for Pro Angler - Feedback Needed

Post by Babylon »

Just a thought dont scrimp to much on the width of trailer otherwise she will be tippy around corners.
underneath the yak maybe some cabinets to hold all your gear .Cheers Jim :)
mattyp
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie PA

Post by mattyp »

Nice Design Dan.
I went for the second hand boat trailer ($300) and converted it to a PA trailer with storage.
This one is a tilt trailer model which makes it easier for off loading/loading.
From this......
From this......
To this!
To this!
Cheers,
Matty

ImageImageImage
bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Post by bilby »

Yeah mate, i like the design, but the width has to be wider than 1300, or you will have a trailer that will roll very easily. I would suggest to make the centre of gravity as low as possible, if you are going to go narrower than a typical jet ski trailer,( not sure on the width of those).
Also the longer you make the wheelbase (coupling to axle) will make any reversing a hell of a lot easier.
Anyway mate good luck.
Bilby.
Bill 0409139460
Dognut
Square eyes
kayak: .

Post by Dognut »

I dont know much about trailers, but i would love to see how the design progresses. I would also love a copy of your angler model when its done. I can see that one is a bodge but i also know you wont leave it like that :D Sw users cant help emselves

Good luck with it
DantheFishoMan
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler

Post by DantheFishoMan »

Hello Hello Hello we have a SW user in the mix do we?? Go on then fess up????
Cheers Dan

"live it, breathe it, love it!"

winchbitch
Lord of the fish
kayak: wavedancer kingfisher

Post by winchbitch »

The trouble with trailers is if you park in a boat trailer parking spot you need to pay a launch fee evin if you don't use the ramp. ( I didnt and it cost me $58.00 ( Olivers Hill )) :( :( so now I use roofracks.
nasman
kayak: Hobie Outback & Wavedance Sierra

Post by nasman »

Great work on the trailer Matty. Looks like a good looking, practical and useful set up. Come in handy at times but I am also with Winchbitch. One of the reasons I got rid of my boat was so I could avoid fees. Trailer's can be both useful and a hassle.
Regards,
Nasman.
Outback Fisherman
><((((º>......><((((º>.....<º))))><.....<º))))><
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

There are pro's and con's to having a trailer, parking can be a real problem at some sites, specially during the summer holiday peak, storage as well can be a bit of a pain if you do not have the extra space at home. They are a lot easier to load and store your kit, even better if you have the room to leave it set up and ready to hit the road in a moments notice. If I were to build a trailer specifically for my fishing kayak then I would also have some extra storage space for gear etc so it is ready at a moments notice while keeping my car clear of smelly/salty/dirty/dangerous fishing gear.

Things you need to be aware of, the narrower the trailer the more likely it is to flip, the higher the center of gravity the more likely it is to flip + generate more wind drag. If you do not have enough distance between the load on the trailer and the rear of the vehicle the more that turning and entry exit angles are reduced risking damage to car trailer and kayak, also access to the rear of the vehicle is compromised. Frame trailers tend to bounce a lot (specially when empty) due to the lack of weight, kayaks are not that heavy and do little to tame the bounce.

I have had a bit of a look at Matty's trailer and it ticks an awful lot of boxes and think it is a real little beauty. It has the storage while still keeping the kayak fairly low + the tilt helps with the loading and unloading , plenty of room to get around the trailer with good turning and entry exit angles, axle is back far enough to give great forward towing track as well as better reversing control.

Looking at your design, I would first open the wheel track wider for extra stability, and would attach the skids to the frame rather than the bars up high that you have. I personally think just a frame is a waste of good space so I would also add some storage and I would also extend the draw bar a bit further, maybe one that will slide in and out (give's you the length for towing etc while tucks away for storage). If you just want a frame then have a look at some of the second hand small boat or jetski trailers that are around, Scott Lovig had a trailer designed (all galvanized) specifically for the PA and is at least worth a look for ideas if nothing else.

Another feature that may help would be to include a small water tank for cleaning you, fish and your gear, is also handy for drinking water if you go away camping. It will also add some extra weight and help minimise bounce giving your kayak a smoother journey and not shake the mojo from it.
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Post by Babylon »

Hi Dan this is what i finished up with when we did ours
everything we need fo the yaks is in the trailer.Cheers Jim :)