Kayaker rescued off Millers Rd tonight

fisho79
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: stinker

Kayaker rescued off Millers Rd tonight

Post by fisho79 »

Someone in a small orange aquayak with some sort of motor attached got into trouble it seems. The yaker got a lift in with a stinker and the water police brought his yak back in. This yak would have been, in my estimate, 3m long or thereabouts. I have vague knowledge of some more details but I don't know enough to report it as fact.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Kayaker rescued off Millers Rd tonight

Post by laneends »

Opener for the season I guess

3m yak with motor in the bay says it all
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

He was lucky a couple of our members in Munroe and SOG spotted him in trouble. Here is Munroes account:

What a dramatic series of events off Millers this afternoon....
As posted earlier I had a long paddle back say 1.5km in my PA14 in lumpy conditions as the peddle shaft broke.
Just as I had packed up and the yak on the trailer, Birds start diving and creating a commotion as the Sambos push the baitfish up. Had to happen!!!!
Main event was assisting the rescue of a kayaker who was having trouble righting his yak and re mounting.
Having attempted to re mount several times, a call out to the water police was made. A mate drove around to the ramps to get a launching boat to head around and attempt to get the guy out of the water.
The issue was compounded by the fact that he was accessing or trying to close his center hatch as he turned side on to the swell while under power. Taking on water with the additional weight from the battery to power his leccy made re-entry near impossible. Kayak was submerged
His kayak was a very able yak and he appeared to have experience but a few small mistakes had costed him every bit of gear on his yak, phone, wallet , keys and his pride.
He was in good condition as we met him at the Altona ramps. A stern talk from the Waterpolice with a possible investigation and penalties for maritime infringements .At the end of the day, without the decisions made and the boat going out to him at the time, the scenario could have been worst
Guys, We ARE definitely in the radar sights and are heavily scrutinized when it comes to safety regulations and our actions ( or lack of) while on the water.... Look after yourselves and be vigilant for others around you.

Well done on the quick thinking boys, a bloke went home to his family because of it. :thumbsup:
Hammertime
Lord of the fish
kayak: 2015 Yellow Outback

Post by Hammertime »

Definitely good work on the boat that got to him and helped him out.

I'm now carrying a marine radio for this exact purpose. Although I have no intention of going in the water, if it happens and I can't get myself sorted I'll be putting a call on on 16 with pan-pan and hoping some of the boats in the nearby area are scanning
Flathead - 56cm - Lorne, Southern Calamari - 33cm - Avalon, Gum 130cm - Altona, Snapper 68cm Altona
sog
Square eyes
kayak: hobie revolution

Post by sog »

The info regarding the yak is not really accurate, but the main issue was the bloke had his center hatch open, and that's what caused his problems.
His kayak became swamped and filled up.
The issue of the motor is, if you have a motorised kayak in Victoria, it must be registered, you must be licensed, and have safety gear
It was not just a cheap yak with a motor whacked on.
The bloke is experienced.
It could happen to anyone, so please be careful.
The police are very conscience of the increased number of incidents involving kayak anglers.
Hammertime
Lord of the fish

Post by Hammertime »

Yep definitely. To be honest I don't like paying for a license for most things but if it stops people (not this guy) getting in trouble and teaches them about the wind and tides and current maybe it's not the worst idea. Something like the radio license, get it once and then you're good
Flathead - 56cm - Lorne, Southern Calamari - 33cm - Avalon, Gum 130cm - Altona, Snapper 68cm Altona
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

hammertym wrote:Yep definitely. To be honest I don't like paying for a license for most things but if it stops people (not this guy) getting in trouble and teaches them about the wind and tides and current maybe it's not the worst idea. Something like the radio license, get it once and then you're good
Problem with user licenses is where do you draw the line between once off surf toys, and open water kayaking. most kayaks in the water this summer will not be anglers but just someone having a bit of family holiday fun in the shallows. The real risk is when the latter try to do the former.

Anyway this bloke was lucky he was at millers (A good heads up for anyone nervous about a first outing) so that there were people and a nearby boat ramp handy. Not the first time someone has dashed off to the ramp for help.

So a reminder to us all to practice real condition reentries and keep those hatches shut and locked. Even if you can reenter in rough conditions if its taken on water you are likely to be knocked off again.
Hammertime
Lord of the fish

Post by Hammertime »

laneends wrote:
hammertym wrote:Yep definitely. To be honest I don't like paying for a license for most things but if it stops people (not this guy) getting in trouble and teaches them about the wind and tides and current maybe it's not the worst idea. Something like the radio license, get it once and then you're good
Problem with user licenses is where do you draw the line between once off surf toys, and open water kayaking. most kayaks in the water this summer will not be anglers but just someone having a bit of family holiday fun in the shallows. The real risk is when the latter try to do the former.

Anyway this bloke was lucky he was at millers (A good heads up for anyone nervous about a first outing) so that there were people and a nearby boat ramp handy. Not the first time someone has dashed off to the ramp for help.

So a reminder to us all to practice real condition reentries and keep those hatches shut and locked. Even if you can reenter in rough conditions if its taken on water you are likely to be knocked off again.
It makes me think about putting an electric pump in... I've seen how quickly they can empty a surfboat.. they'd empty a yak in seconds...
Galey
Lord of the fish
kayak: Ok Frenzy

Post by Galey »

hammertym wrote:
laneends wrote:

It makes me think about putting an electric pump in... I've seen how quickly they can empty a surfboat.. they'd empty a yak in seconds...
There was a thread a little while ago and a manual bilge pump was mentioned (by Yakass I think) as a must for kayaking. Seems like sound advice, particularly for open water such as bay or lakes.
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

Manual is essential, a bailer of some sort is a requirement, but if you have to open the center hatch to attempt to empty a part filled yak in rough weather, then that might not be possible. Even without allowing the effort it takes to shift large volumes of water with these. If my yaks were part filled center hatch would most likely be under water

I have an electric one but not yet fitted. Sea kayaker forums are a source for info on how to do it.

Stuffing every spare space with bouyancy material is a good start.

Anyway this is separate topic, and discussed previously elsewhere.