Had to happen one day

ratfish
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Outback + mini x + AI

Had to happen one day

Post by ratfish »

Well after. Being annoyed with the rain decided to head out for a paddle and maybe troll a lure as well when it did drop off and before the change came through. Headed out of seals rock and started making my way towards the pier in some choppy conditions but nothing I haven't been in comfortably before.

Decided it was rubbish and turned to head back home, at this point I made a mistake that cost me a very rough time. Still had a line out and was comfortably surfing the waves back in using the paddle to brace myself on the breaking ones. For some reason I decided to bring the lure in rather than just leave it out and say bugger it if I lost it, put the paddle down to do this, mistake one, the line caught on the rudder and instead of just losing the lure given the conditions I half turned to see where it was. It was at this point that I got hit by a boat wake which swung the yak sideways and lifted the nose out at the same time a larger wave hit me from behind. Already half twisted with nothing to brace but my knees it was game over and I took my first unintentional dive in more than 15 years of playing in kayaks and canoes.

Not impressed but not to worried, I religiously practice re entries with and without gear, I cleared my gear and the leashes and righted the kayak to try a rentry, first effort was side on and the wind grabbed it and flipped straight back over, bugger it I thought, rear mount it is, this didn't happen either with the waves picking the yak up and flinging it around every time I put weight on the rear. Tried two more times and then realized my kokakats had begun filling with water, it wasn't a lot but more than enough to make me to heavy to easily remount. I could get halfway up but then the weight of the water in the,mwas to much to lift. I had sealed them tightly when I headed out but clearly not enough given the conditions. Decided rentry wasn't an option and I'd swim the kayak in, I was under 1k out. 45 minutes later I finally made it to shore where a helpful couple gave me some blankets and ran me back to the car where I dried off and changed clothes before heading back to get the kayak. Huge thanks to these guys, they'd seen me as they drove past and stopped to track me on the way back in, I did drift past(within 100mtrs) of at least 4 boats who all ignored my waving and the guys on the shore flashing headlights, they even drove to the boat ramp to ask some people to come get me but no one would. Their help definetly kept me away from hitting hypothermia walking back the k or so to the car.

Take aways from this one:
Just lose the bloody lure it wasn't worth it and I knew that before I even tried
Never put the paddle down!
I've got a condition at the moment that has seen me gain about 15kgs in 6 months that really messed with my balance and control
Don't lean it never ends well
I was dressed for immersion plenty of layers and the right clothes so stayed warm despite the water temperature - a month earlier though may have been different given the time in the water
Eventually it will happen...
Water in dry pants, or waders is deadly, I couldn't walk in them once I could stand they had that much resistance and it wasn't a lot of water, did they drag me to the bottom, no, did they stop me remounting, yes.
cbarker54
Lord of the fish
kayak: Red Outback

Re: Had to happen one day

Post by cbarker54 »

Wow mate, thanks for sharing. Thank bloody hell your ok!
CB

I couldnt think of anything witty or funny to say and didnt really want to post my PB fish from the yak cause all I manage to get are toadies so I thought I'd take the time to fill in the blank space and say pretty much absolutely nothing and annoy every-one who has taken the time to read this.
BKA
Square eyes
kayak: Malibu Pro Explorer

Post by BKA »

Sounds like a nightmare.
Well done on keeping a level head.
Glad you're ok. :thumbsup:
Bayside Kayak Angler
Sandringham Anglers' Club
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

Glad it ended well for ya Shaun, thanks for sharing :thumbsup:
Redmullet
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Yella PA 14 & red sit inside

Post by Redmullet »

Glad you're ok mate.
Haynsie
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Revolution 13

Post by Haynsie »

Cripes. Amazing how quickly it can go to pieces but it sounds like you stayed calm and in control. Glad it ended ok.
delboy1203
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Mailbu Mini-X

Post by delboy1203 »

Good to hear that you didn't panic - alls well that ends well.
TackleBoxHQ to feed your fishing addiction!
Smish
Lord of the fish
kayak: Viking Profish Reload

Post by Smish »

Glad you're ok Shaun, seems like everything conspired against you. Kokatats filling up sounds like a bit of a worry.

Cheers,

Smish
vikodin
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2016 Hobie Outback

Post by vikodin »

Smish wrote:Glad you're ok Shaun, seems like everything conspired against you. Kokatats filling up sounds like a bit of a worry.

Cheers,

Smish
x2
Looks like I will be doing some further testing with mine, although I have had a good swim in mine.

Glad your ok and hope you didn't lose any of your babies (custom made rods)

Can't believe the boaties didn't offer any help (arse holes), they must have been too busy catching nothing, hope they left their bungs out!
When I had my spill i couldn't believe how fast they came to me.
Bretty
Yak Master
kayak: HOBIE OUTBACK RED

Post by Bretty »

Holly crap Shaun glad your ok mate :thumbsup:

Sounds like you Ballarat land lovers needed to stay at home yesterday have a read on this one :lol: :lol:
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/new ... 6756014198
Brett