Had to happen one day

RayS
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie PA12

Re: Had to happen one day

Post by RayS »

Just shows that even the most experienced yakker can hit a hurdle. A bloody good lesson for total nuffies like me and, in my case a valuable reminder not to go out further than I could swim back and to stay home unless the weather is pretty good. I don't count myself as a strong swimmer these days so I won't hit the water on my own at all. So glad it all turned out ok.

And for those "oh so helpful" boaties.....the great karma bus will get you at some stage. :twisted:
cheers Ray
0422 63 64 65
"It's 5 o'clock somewhere"
wokka1
Yak Master
kayak: Compass

Post by wokka1 »

Glad you made it out OK Shaun.
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Fishing... a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other
l2andom
Square eyes
kayak: Adventure Island, WildySys T140, Outback

Post by l2andom »

Glad you are okay and here to share this story with us.
Wizaed1
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Pro Angler 14 Olive

Post by Wizaed1 »

Thanks for sharing the experience. Glad you're ok - lessons for others here, not to panic, stay calm etc.
Another yaker I know fell out off Mt Martha las summer and could not get back in (his PFD inflated when the cord got caught as he tried to get back in and he had never learnt how to deflate it) and told me the same story about waving to boats as they went past without any of them helping.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Thanks for sharing, the more we swallow our pride and report "mishaps" the more it reminds others S#!^ happens to everyone sometimes. All the practice in the world may not save us if the conditions are not right.

I know that 'should i shouldn't I" decision when the line wraps around the rudder..been there.

Glad you could swim to shore, thats not always a possibility
:thumbsup:
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

I'm glad it all turned out OK in the end Shaun. But then it sounds like you kept your cool and knew what to do in the circumstances. These things will happen and you've shown how it plays to have plans A B and C in mind if one thing doesn't work out (eg different re entries).

I'm also interested in the kokotats issue. It seems they could have been done up tighter but were they against skin or some clothes? Also did you feel it would have been possible to remove them in the water when the started leaking or would it have been too difficult?
0408 565 763
ratfish
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Outback + mini x + AI

Post by ratfish »

Cheers guys, bloody stuffed today.

As to the kokatats I've swam in them a few times before and never really taken any water in. Straight onto skin And fairly tight i actually made sure I did it properly given the conditions. Looking back on it today I think the issue may have been from the paddling, I've noticed in the past after a long paddle they have a tendency to shift given the constant movement of the body and sit lower down, this probably left enough give in them to let water in when I started kicking and trying to push up
. Shane pretty sure I could have removed them if I really had to, I've got a few lines on the yak I can use to maintain contact and still get out of them. If I'd had to let go of the yak to do so then no it would have been long gone
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Post by GoneFishn »

I think I'm long overdue for a dunking, last time was years ago getting back on the yack from a river bank :oops: mind you it was about 38 so the swim was good :lol:

Shaun 2 things, could the pants wave been pulled rolled down while trying to get back on and would a stirrup made it possible with the water to get back on.
I have made a stirrup that stays in my PFD pocket just in case I can't get back on.

Good to see you kept your wits about you, hard to do in those situations.
bj fisherman
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie sport

Post by bj fisherman »

Thanks for sharing that horrifying experience. Def a very close call. Reading your story was like the movie gravity, but worse.

Glad your ok. :thumbsup:
Pb: snapper 67cm, garfish 44cm, calamari hood 25cm
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

ratfish wrote:I've got a few lines on the yak I can use to maintain contact and still get out of them. If I'd had to let go of the yak to do so then no it would have been long gone
This is something thats not mentioned a lot, suitable grab lines or leashing so you dont loose contact with yak.
My old yak had a bungee all the way round which was a handy grab rope. Current one's got nothing even the middle handles are just recessed mouldings that would'nt be too grab friendly

I always have drift chute attached and laid on back deck behind crate that stands a good chance of deploying if it rolls, no guarantee though.