Well Earned Beer (Altona Rescue)

Bretty
Yak Master
kayak: HOBIE OUTBACK RED

Re: Well Earned Beer

Post by Bretty »

FishnDive wrote:
Jenko wrote:The only thing I've got to say is...WHY the hell would you take a kid that young out in a Kayak? My grand daughters 5 & 9 keep asking for me to take them out and I refuse to until, as I've told them "when you can swim 4 laps of the pool effortlessly" I'll take you. I think he's a total idiot and so is anyone else that "thinks" its cool to take their little kid out for a spin. As Darren said "S#!^ happens" and can happen fast, what would have happened if Darren hadn't seen them and the guy got so cold he just slipped away, what about the kid? What a dip S#!^...the only thing he should have got is a punch in the head.
And as someone who nearly drowned as a kid, I hope that this event does not affect the kid, still in the back of my mind every time I go on the water.
Jenko without meaning to be controversial and with all due respect to your previous experiences as mentioned I would like to say that there are situations where I would find it perfectly fine to have a kid out on a yak. There are a few non negotiables though:
1) the right type of yak - sit ins make rescue more difficult and open hatches are a disaster as most have bulkheads nowadays meaning water has to be removed from there separately as it won't flow into the main cockpit.
2) the right clothing- neither person involved was adequately clothed.
3) sufficient experience to have knowledge of the conditions/weather and with a kid on board I would be paddling in an area known to me not exploring.
4) swimming ability as you mentioned above. I am very impressed by parents that make the effort to make sure their kids can swim at an early age it is a skill that can save them and perhaps another person one day.

I know there are guys on here that do take their kid out and I think if the proper thought and preparation has gone into it then why not?
This kills me to say but there are rules for a reason and this incident would not of happened if the rules were followed.
http://www.transportsafety.vic.gov.au/m ... d-kayaking

We all jump up and down about people not wearing life jackets or lights and giving us a bad name.
So what different about about this :?:

If you want to take your kids or friends out do the right thing and get a tandem kayak. :idea:

Sorry to be a kill joy but we need to learn and them's the rules
Brett
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Re: Well Earned Beer (Altona Rescue)

Post by Seasherpa »

Full agree Bretty - that was what I meant by number one, an open hatch is not the same as a second seating position, and is a dangerous situation to put yourself in on both sot and sit in kayaks.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Is the back of a PA an official second seating position?
Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Post by Babylon »

Keep this topic on track either congratulate darren on a great job he has done.do not start changing the path of this thread.babylon..
Haynsie
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Revolution 13

Post by Haynsie »

laneends wrote:Is the back of a PA an official second seating position?
Babylon wrote:Keep this topic on track either congratulate darren on a great job he has done.do not start changing the path of this thread.babylon..
:lol:
sawtell
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Sport

Post by sawtell »

There was also another rescue by the water police off williamstown on satdy.

From what I understand.
3 Jet skiers fell off 1 ski, 2 in PFDs 1not.
Strong northerly, the ski drifted away faster then they could swim.

Just shows what a strong offshore wind can do. Doesn't matter what kind of craft you are in or on.
Last edited by sawtell on 21 Oct 2013, 16:38, edited 1 time in total.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

Babylon wrote:Keep this topic on track either congratulate darren on a great job he has done.do not start changing the path of this thread.babylon..
sorry Jim, my bad. I'm sure everyone that has met Rhino or seen his videos will agree that he does a top job highlighting safety issues within the sport and the Altona locals are lucky to have him patrolling the shores. :clap:
Bretty
Yak Master

Post by Bretty »

laneends wrote:Is the back of a PA an official second seating position?
No
Brett
Bretty
Yak Master

Post by Bretty »

The path of this thread may save someone's life Jim :up:
Brett
Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Post by Babylon »

Bretty wrote:
The path of this thread may save someone's life Jim :up:
Start a new one mate.