Well Earned Beer (Altona Rescue)

Rhino
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Streaker Tournament/Zodiac

Well Earned Beer (Altona Rescue)

Post by Rhino »

I reckon I've earned every beer I'm about to drink.

Driving along the beach at Altona just after midday this afternoon and I spotted what looked to be a blue kayak with it's occupant/s in the water. I kept an eye on it for a bit and then saw some splashing, so I pulled over into the carpark at McBain St to have a better look. There was a very strong northerly wind blowing, and as I saw more splashing it was becoming more obvious to me that they could be in trouble.

I walked out onto the beach to have a better look, and then entered the water to where a young family were playing. I asked them if they knew the person/people out there because it looks like they might be in a bit of strife.
They didn't know them and were oblivious to what was unfolding out deeper. I said that I might go out for a better look.
I took my wallet back to the car and returned to the beach, leaving my glasses, car keys and some clothing with the young family. I started out towards the yak but realised that I'm as blind as a bat without my specs so I returned to the beach to get them. Back into the water again and I got to chest deep before realising that it's probably too far for me to swim. It occurred to me that I hadn't yet eaten, I had no lifejacket on and what the hell was I going to do when I got there knackered, so I headed back towards the beach to come up with a better idea.

AS i was approaching the beach again a guy with a dog was on his way out. This guy was built like a brick S#!^ house. I told him about what I thought was going on and he said that he'd take his dog back to the beach to his girlfriend (who turned out to be HOT) and come out to give me a hand. So I started to head out again, but once I got chest deep I knew it was just too far to swim. I turned back towards the beach and warned the other guy about heading out. He had no life jacket either. He was just going to walk out a bit deeper and keep an eye on them as I rushed to the boat ramp to get some help.

SO off I went. AS I approached Millers Rd I saw a police car coming the other way. I slowed and waved my arms around at them but they didn't see me. I kept on going to the bait ramp. I parked the car and ran to the ramp as two jet skiers were coming in. There were two boats there but there owners weren't. I approached the jet-skiers and quickly told them about what was happening and would they mind helping me out. I grabbed a jacket off the passenger and took off on the back with another jet ski following.

I gave him directions and as we approached the area I couldn't see the yak. I thought oh great. I've made right clown off myself here, they've made it back to the beach. But then I spotted them. Much further out than when I last saw them.
As we approached they were waving frantically. As it turns out, the other guy had swum out there, but he was knackered and of not much use physically. He was only able reassure them that I'd gone to get some help.

THe yak was full of water and too heavy to pull against the gusting northerly wind.

Then I spotted the kid. He wouldn't have been more than 4 years old. He was shaking terribly. He had been in the water the entire time until the other guy had got there and convinced the Dad to put him in the yak to rest until help arrived.
As we had two skis there I just ripped the kid out of the yak and onto the ski and we headed for the beach. The other ski was pulling in the two guys and the yak.

As we approached the beach the police arrived. I carried the kid from the water and called for a towel from the family I had previously spoken with. Shortly after an ambulance arrived and they examined the kid. He was suffering with mild hypothermia and was wrapped in the silver stuff and other blankets. The Dad was treated shortly after and had his temperature taken. His body temp was already down by eight degrees. The police gave me a lift back to the boat ramp where my car was and I think the father and young son were taken off the hospital.

So that's two rescues this week that I know of. The police told me of another very recently where a kayak that had a sail had gone over and the yakker couldn't re-right it. He ended up being rescued 5 kilometres out to sea.

All of these incidents happened well within 500 metres of shore. That's why I get upset when I read that some heroes here reckon they shouldn't have to wear one. I'd consider myself a reasonable swimmer, but I knew I'd struggle to get to them, and if I did I'd be useless when I got there.

I didn't give the guy a hard time. I was just happy to get the kid back to shore. The police gave him a talking to though.
The only this father did right was they were both wearing lifejackets.

If you're one of the guys here who reckon you're too good for a lifejacket, keep those thoughts to yourself.

Time for another beer.
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Re: Well Earned Beer

Post by Ghurkin »

Mate :king: :clap: :clap: :clap: come around here Rhino, I'll have a beer with you, :up: well done mate.
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
fishophil
Lord of the fish
kayak: Kingfisher & 2013 Hobie Outback.. and 3 more..

Post by fishophil »

Well done rhino! Lucky you were around and realised the dangerous situation which was unfolding.
Just because the sun is out, doesn't mean it's fine to go out on the water if you have no idea what the wind forecast is.
Good work! :thumbsup:
Too many freaks. Not enough circuses.
Jdubb
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Mantra noa Or Noah boat

Post by Jdubb »

We'll done rhino you've earned those beers!

Jesse
Fish Grylls
Square eyes
kayak: hobie revo

Post by Fish Grylls »

I think you deserve a slab, maybe bought by the bloke you helped. Did they have lifejackets? You did the right thing and got help.
CrazyChenski
Lord of the fish
kayak: Clarkeski Dusta

Post by CrazyChenski »

Fish Grylls wrote:I think you deserve a slab, maybe bought by the bloke you helped. Did they have lifejackets? You did the right thing and got help.
X2 ! YOu definitely more than just 1 slab now !
Fishing is just like Accounting .... it is all about Optical Illusion ...............
wokka1
Yak Master
kayak: Compass

Post by wokka1 »

Wind at Outer marker was averaging around 20 kn at midday. You may well have saved a Knuckleheads (and his childs) life. Well done Rhino.
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Fishing... a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Post by GoneFishn »

Well done mate, not many people would have spotted that and even had the intelligence to act on it.
:clap:
melbshayne
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: hobie revo13

Post by melbshayne »

Well done mate....

Not something you want to see!

I just don't get some people.... We all knew it was way to windy today....

Hope you are all good... :clap:
Brendandrage
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14 and Tandem Island

Post by Brendandrage »

Well done rhino.
:thumbsup:
Brendan 0408412056
Snapper, whiting, flathead, squid, gummy shark, barracoota, salmon, murray cod, yellow belly, bass, pike, leather jacket, bream, school shark