Selling a Yak - please read this.

maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Selling a Yak - please read this.

Post by maverick »

Hi Guys, bumped into a Hobie Outback owner this afternoon. He picked the yak up in Somerville at lunch time (ebay sale $1,700) and on his way home dropped in at Mornington Pier. He was fishing just off Red Rocks chasing squid. First time in a yak, at least he was wearing a PFD. Anyway, I said hello, had a quick chat then set off to find some salmon, which I failed at. About 45 minutes later I returned and he was still there. We had a bit more of a chat and I changed to squid jigs. Managed a couple of small versions before I heard a strange noise.

I turned around to see the yak upside down about 50 metres away, with stuff floating around and "Wilbur" trying to get the yak turned back over. He managed that after a few efforts but couldn't get back into the yak. Being only 50 meters away still took a little while to get to him. Even when I held the yak for him, he still had trouble getting in. One of his quotes of the day was "How do you get back into one of these things?". That would have been a great question to ask, before going in the water the first time. After some instruction from me and a bit of trouble he finally slid back into the yak, looking very wet, worn out and bedraggled. I unscrewed the bungs to let the water out and got him settled before Dad and I collected his floating belongings and gave them back.

He thanked me and then asked "where his fishing rod was". Mmm that was an easy question to answer. Bummer it was an $800 rod and reel (Cerate and t-curve). I suggested that he should invest in some lanyards and also head back into the shore as he was wet. He said he was ok as he had thermals on, under his track pants and windcheater. Yep! I have heard that combination is very buoyant.

He was also very happy he didn't have to inflate his PFD - mmm so when exactly would you inflate a PFD.

Sure he was hanging onto his yak, but with a gusting 20 knot breeze offshore he would have had trouble swimming back in with it, seeing as he couldn't get back into it unaided.

Now Wilbur, if you do happen to read this, I am not really having a crack - you did what a lot of other people do. Perhaps you would have been ok if I wasn't there, who knows.

But when someone buys a yak from a dealer, I am pretty sure there is a little conversation about safety etc, even just lashing gear to your yak.

So if you are selling a second hand yak, please give a moments thought to what if the person you sell it too happens to drown on their first trip out. You are probably not responsible, but sharing a few safety tips may just save someone's life. Yes we can't make people do the right thing once we have told them, but you may sleep easier, knowing that you did the correct thing.

And I did end up with 8 small squid, and sorry Wilbur I didn't find your rod, but there could be a quick dive trip early tomorrow morning :evilgrin:

And Dad, you suck as a squid angler with a big donut. :lol: :lol: :lol:

End of rant.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Graybalz85
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA (Sponge Bob)

Re: Selling a Yak - please read this.

Post by Graybalz85 »

Good read Pete, could be a nice little pick up from ur dive lol.
Yak PB: Leatherjacket 35.5cm, elephant fish 69.5cm, salmon 44cm, Whiting 38cm, squid (30cm Hood), Gummy 104cm, Flathead 34cm, Travelly 40cm, Pinkie 36cm
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Big Aluminium One

Post by Jenko »

Wilber (Ken) has now joined up to Vyak. I'm sure he will get a lot of helpful information from here to help him stay safe out on the water next time.
Cheers Gary...
WestVic Signs 0429 184 940
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Flathead PB 83cm Bream PB 43cm Luderick 38cm
Paps
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Outback & Heritage Featherlite 9.5

Post by Paps »

well done pete and good message to boot!
RayS
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie PA12

Post by RayS »

It's a bit of a worry that anyone would be thinking that simply buying a yak is "qualification" enough to hit the salt, particularly on a day with gusts like that. But it's good to know that Ken has now joined the community here so, no doubt he'll be reading through the safety stuff and asking the right questions.
cheers Ray
0422 63 64 65
"It's 5 o'clock somewhere"
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

Regarding responsibility when selling a yak: I went through a lot of safety advice with the first yak I sold and the bloke was spending a week with a mate who had one, so I figured he was OK..

The second went to the 40 year old son of a neighbour and I insisted on going with him on his first launch, talking him through the whole process until he was packed up ready to go home. I also offered to go with him as often as necessary until he was satisfied he knew what he was doing.

I agree that we do have some responsibility when selling to a newbie.
sawtell
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Sport

Post by sawtell »

I sold my outback yesterday, in conversation I said when I've flipped it the front hatch leaks, as the guy thought they were completely perfectly sealed.

He was first amazed that the large hatch leaked, and secondly amazed that I had flipped it.

First time out in any yak. Flip the thing to make sure you can right it and got back in/on on your own.
Drifta-X
Yak Master
kayak: 2010 hobie outback

Post by Drifta-X »

So where exactly did this happen from the pier?
I do need a new rod and reel? *snigger* I know u though mav if ya found it you would return it,
Wouldn't you!!
I survived the June 2012 Vyak server crash, just.
moirae
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Revo "Fishless"

Post by moirae »

I can tell ya that when I bought mine there was absolutely no safety discussion.

We discussed roof racks, good tie down methods etc...etc....

I think they may have tried to upsell me a pfd but that was the extent of it.

If I was not on the ball with the safety side of things, I could have been that bloke. No question.

Took me six months to fall out.

I should add I bought mine new....
JägerMarty
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Outback 2015

Post by JägerMarty »

The bloke I bought my Outback from was good, covered this stuff and more while checkin it out n loading it on car.
Reading up on this board for 3 months and the AFN kayak fishin book helped too.
I'd bought leashes n lanyards before the yak lol