Father and son plucked from bay.

hermie
The force is strong in this one
kayak: hobie outback

Father and son plucked from bay.

Post by hermie »

A father and his toddler son were plucked to safety after being swept out to sea this afternoon after launching their rubber dinghy from Rommawi st Altona. Four police boats ground patrol and police helicopters were involved in the search.
Why would you go out in that wind today and especially with a young child on board.
herbie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Stabicraft 1550 Fisher

Re: Father and son plucked from bay.

Post by herbie »

wow, that is scary although it seemed quite calm in Werribee this morning.

Glad to hear they are both ok and were found safe and well.

There seem to be a lot of these incidents at the moment. I guess it is silly snapper season :(
cheers

Herbie
0404 257 360
sawtell
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Sport

Post by sawtell »

As a person who was out on the bay this morning, I seem a kayaker out deep off willy between the footy ground and P1, I hope he made it in alright, as about 20minutes after I seen him the wind hit a little stronger then forcast, I haven't looked at the graphs but it was easily a consistent 25knots at about 8:30-9!

On the other hand it right on cue according to the willy weather predictions!
I could imagine someone that doesn't listen or watch the weather thinking what a nice calm day, gets the blow up boat out at 8, 30 minutes later its gone from 5knots to 25-30!

Good to hear they are alive!
manonaquest

Post by manonaquest »

really ????.....not that hard to use ya friggin brain and check the weather....or as i did last saturday when we arrived at pt cook ,the weather was supposed to be 10 knots tops but as we were setting up our yaks the wind elevated to what i beleive to be about 20 - 25 knots ...so we canned it and went to geelong where it was a lot calmer
hermie
The force is strong in this one
kayak: hobie outback

Post by hermie »

The story on the heraldsun website states they launched at 1.30 pm and that the alarm was raised at 2.35pm,so he knew the conditions before he went out. No excuses, just a really dumb decision.
starver
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: VX YAMAHA CRUISER WAVERUNNER..WANKER!!!

Post by starver »

sawtell wrote:As a person who was out on the bay this morning, I seem a kayaker out deep off willy between the footy ground and P1, I hope he made it in alright, as about 20minutes after I seen him the wind hit a little stronger then forcast, I haven't looked at the graphs but it was easily a consistent 25knots at about 8:30-9!

I could imagine someone that doesn't listen or watch the weather thinking what a nice calm day, gets the blow up boat out at 8, 30 minutes later its gone from 5knots to 25-30!

That bloke was probably Rhino he did arrive home safely. :thumbsup:
PRO ANGLER THE YAK REAL FISHERMEN USE
http://www.vossconengineering.com.au/ (The strongest cart for Hobie Yaks on the market.)
manonaquest

Post by manonaquest »

starver wrote:
sawtell wrote:As a person who was out on the bay this morning, I seem a kayaker out deep off willy between the footy ground and P1, I hope he made it in alright, as about 20minutes after I seen him the wind hit a little stronger then forcast, I haven't looked at the graphs but it was easily a consistent 25knots at about 8:30-9!

That bloke was probably Rhino he did arrive home safely. :thumbsup:
yeah may have been rhino, but i think there might be some really obvious differences in levels of experience between the likes of ...and only using names as examples so dont get offended whom ever....for example....rhino,bretty and myself and some wanker who takes a toddler out in that S#!^ (colourfully describing weather conditions latelty)...personally i think he deserves a good floggin. but thats only my opinion :evil:
Smish
Lord of the fish
kayak: Viking Profish Reload

Post by Smish »

sawtell wrote:
Sorry... how was Sillyweather right? They were predicting 7 knots at 8am and 11.7 at 11am... Nothing even close to 25 knots.

That site is a load of crap and people are putting their lives at risk if they plan their trips around Willyweather predictions.

I'm glad to hear things turned out alright in the end.
Rhino
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Streaker Tournament/Zodiac

Post by Rhino »

The wind was only six knots when I left the water.
I was home before the wind got up.
sawtell
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Sport

Post by sawtell »

Smish wrote:
sawtell wrote:
Sorry... how was Sillyweather right? They were predicting 7 knots at 8am and 11.7 at 11am... Nothing even close to 25 knots.

That site is a load of crap and people are putting their lives at risk if they plan their trips around Willyweather predictions.

I'm glad to hear things turned out alright in the end.
Have a read what you quoted, I said on cue, meaning right on time.

I don't use willy weather for wind speeds, but it's damn accurate for when changes are going to happen. This mornings change was a little faster the forecasted, but still started at the forcasted time!

No weather site apart from seabeeeze got the wind strength right, well for the north of the bay anyway.

No need to have a go at me and others for using a website that when you understand its limits like every weather forecasting site has, they all have weird habbits.

Anything willy weather forecasts speed wise you can halve or double, you start to learn the trends after using it for a few years. I don't think it's ever let me down with wind direction and speed 'change times.'

So rhino that was you out there? I assumes it was some one experienced!