Smish
Lord of the fish
kayak: Viking Profish Reload

Re: Father and son plucked from bay.

Post by Smish »

sawtell wrote:
Smish wrote:
sawtell wrote:
On the other hand it right on cue according to the willy weather predictions!
Sorry... how was Sillyweather right? They were predicting 7 knots at 8am and 11.7 at 11am... Nothing even close to 25 knots.

That site is a load of crap and people are putting their lives at risk if they plan their trips around Willyweather predictions.

I'm glad to hear things turned out alright in the end.
Have a read what you quoted, I said on cue, meaning right on time.

I don't use willy weather for wind speeds, but it's damn accurate for when changes are going to happen. This mornings change was a little faster the forecasted, but still started at the forcasted time!

No weather site apart from seabeeeze got the wind strength right, well for the north of the bay anyway.

No need to have a go at me and others for using a website that when you understand its limits like every weather forecasting site has, they all have weird habbits.

Anything willy weather forecasts speed wise you can halve or double, you start to learn the trends after using it for a few years. I don't think it's ever let me down with wind direction and speed 'change times.'

Alex you said, "...it's. gone from 5 knots to 25-30!"

...Willyweather predicted a change from 3 to 11.7, there's a big difference... also when it comes to safety semantics don't factor into the discussion.
fisho79
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: stinker

Post by fisho79 »

hermie wrote:The story on the heraldsun website states they launched at 1.30 pm and that the alarm was raised at 2.35pm,so he knew the conditions before he went out. No excuses, just a really dumb decision.
The thing is though, from the shore, altona would have looked flat as a tac, even with the 25knot northerlies. So for someone who hasn't much/any experience with PPB, i can see how easily someone could get themselves into trouble
cbarker54
Lord of the fish
kayak: Red Outback

Post by cbarker54 »

fisho79 wrote:
hermie wrote:The story on the heraldsun website states they launched at 1.30 pm and that the alarm was raised at 2.35pm,so he knew the conditions before he went out. No excuses, just a really dumb decision.
The thing is though, from the shore, altona would have looked flat as a tac, even with the 25knot northerlies. So for someone who hasn't much/any experience with PPB, i can see how easily someone could get themselves into trouble
Your spot on, I went down to Altona this afternoon for a look see (wasnt contemplating fishing just had a bit of time to kill) and at 4pm it looked flat enough to safely yak, I could tell it wasn't because of not only the strength of the wind but the way the jet ski's were jumping about. I can see how inexperienced people could easily make the mistake of thinking it looks fine and then once their out there they discover it's not and it's too late cause the wind is taking em off shore and their in trouble.
CB

I couldnt think of anything witty or funny to say and didnt really want to post my PB fish from the yak cause all I manage to get are toadies so I thought I'd take the time to fill in the blank space and say pretty much absolutely nothing and annoy every-one who has taken the time to read this.