Wind madness - Video

viperdevil
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Hobie Outfitter & Sevylor Pointer K2

Re: Wind madness - Video

Post by viperdevil »

Hey J, I can only second what other have already said....really glad you are ok mate.
Praz
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Ghurkin »

same here bro, glad to hear you are safe and learned something, it can be sooo dangerous on the bay and if even a suggestion it might blow up, stay in close or dont go out, you could always stay home and hang shite on me like everyone else :lol:
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
placcymarauder
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Outback Blue, stealth evo 495

Post by placcymarauder »

OUCH!!!!!
Glad yur ok (except the bruised ego)
Was that why you got a new rod and reel or did yur new one go for a swim as well?

Lessons to be learned i think :eh:
Nev

0409 766 315

4 Sale As new Shimano Fireblood 1000FA - $440.00
Never even had line on it. Make an offer.
gezmeister
The force is strong in this one
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by gezmeister »

Great video. The darkness combined with wave action yee haaing gives it a comedic and grim effect.

Gez.
cruiser
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: AI

Post by cruiser »

That looks like a typical day down at Lorne Jaryd ;) Glad to read you are ok mate ,dont worry about the gear thats replaceable your not ,bloody wind its every yakkers nightmare :evil:
mob 0423 492 759
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Just a reminder everyone, BoM allow up to a 40% error when forecasting wind - so 15 knots was actually 21 knots and 20 knots was 28 knots.

If you think it is borderline it probably isn't - it is 40% worse.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Haynsie
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Revolution 13

Post by Haynsie »

Well done for posting Jaryd. Sorry to hear about the lost gear, but glad it turned out ok.

Interested to hear how the kokatats performed?

Cheers

Tim
vikodin
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2016 Hobie Outback

Post by vikodin »

Ghurkin wrote:same here bro, glad to hear you are safe and learned something, it can be sooo dangerous on the bay and if even a suggestion it might blow up, stay in close or dont go out, you could always stay home and hang shite on me like everyone else :lol:
I'll try and remember to do that :lol:
Haynsie wrote:Well done for posting Jaryd. Sorry to hear about the lost gear, but glad it turned out ok.

Interested to hear how the kokatats performed?

Cheers

Tim
Yeah they held up great, hardly any water in them and I didn't have them done up really tight :shock:
I had a wizz not long before the storm hit and only had them semi done up, but in the water they were like suction cupping my legs.
I had tacky pants under them and they were wet down to my knees but my socks were totally dry.
If i had them done up properly I'm sure there would have been little if any water in them.
(I was amazed at how warm I was in my clothing)
vikodin
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2016 Hobie Outback

Post by vikodin »

gezmeister wrote:Great video. The darkness combined with wave action yee haaing gives it a comedic and grim effect.

Gez.
Yeah I thought it was worth some of the original sound left in with the squalling wind and my yee haa's
cruiser wrote:That looks like a typical day down at Lorne Jaryd ;) Glad to read you are ok mate ,dont worry about the gear thats replaceable your not ,bloody wind its every yakkers nightmare :evil:
Yeah nothing like out in the ocean the swells are completely different out there. I didn't struggle at all with it but a careless moment leaning for the net was my undoing.
Even though i was confident and having fun yee haa'ing over the waves, it only takes a second for things to go wrong and in those winds getting separated from the yak could have been quite bad.

I wouldn't have wanted to be offshore in a wind like that though.
pollonev wrote:OUCH!!!!!
Glad yur ok (except the bruised ego)
Was that why you got a new rod and reel or did yur new one go for a swim as well?

Lessons to be learned i think :eh:
I hope so :eh:

Yeah I've already replaced 2 reels (penn slammers) and 2 bait rods and a fleuger trion 2-4kg rod (the one your talking about is one of the replacements)
wombatfish
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: 2012 Hobie Outback. Olive

Post by wombatfish »

gday vikodin, glad your ok, and glad you posted this, and coming from one of the more experienced members of this forum, goes to show how wrong things can go, if others with less experience had to deal with that, would we be reading a different post?. Alot of people should learn something from this. The weekend warriors are the ones possibly most at risk as well, and should pay great attention to the posts like this, Although having been kayak fishing for almost a year or whatever, probably havnt really clocked up the on water hours and experience as others have, combine that with what is sometimes a desperation to get out on the water after being stuck in offices all week, missing weekends due to the more obvoius bad weather days, sometimes any window or break in the weather looks good, when maybe should be content just to sit on the beach and smell the fresh air. Having said that if we all waited for days of 1knot winds, no one would go kayak fishing, its more about staying within your limits and knowing whats coming, and having the skills to deal with things if a mighty tempest does erupt around you unexpectedly. For the less skilled, Sometimes it does pay to go out in less than perfect conditions(once you have a bit of confidence anyway), purely for the experience and learnings you get from handling your ship in the lumpy water, just do it in a way you are confident you wont get yourself into trouble(I am not talking about going out in a storm, but maybe say slighty choppy water). i have had a few beers, waffling on a bit...sorry

cheers.
Flathead47Pinky40Bream25EstuaryPerch32KGW44Gummy100Squid26LeatherJacket25Snook70Mullet38