Re: Bacon Recipes

Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

Here's one from me:

This includes bacon though the main ingredient is Chicken, but one of my favorites.

ALMOND CHICKEN ROLLS

Ingredients

4 Boneless Chicken Fillets
skin removed.
Oil for frying.

Breadcrumb Coating
2 eggs
1/3rd cup milk
2 cups of stale bread crumbs

Herb Butter
185g/6oz butter
60g/2 oz slivered almonds or chopped fine.
2 teaspoons of French mustard
1 tablespoon of chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon of snipped fresh chives.
Freshly ground black pepper.

Make the herb butter first so you can chill it.
I also add a half a clove of fresh diced/minced garlic and a few finely diced dried apricots to the herbed butter.

Mix ingredients thoroughly together, divide into 4 portions and roll into cylinders 3 or 4 inches long. Cover individually with cling wrap and put in freezer to chill.

Take a sharp knife and butterfly each chicken breast to make it larger and thinner. At this stage I cover each fillet with a sheet of cling wrap and lightly pound it out with a tenderiser to spread it out thinner. CAUTION: Be careful not to pound a hole in breast.

Take each breast and lay a slice of ham on it. Place one roll of herb butter one end and roll the breast up folding the ends in. Secure with toothpicks.

Make your eggwash with eggs and milk, flower each roll and dip in eggwash to coat thoroughly and then in breadcrumbs, be sure to cover all the chicken. Repeat process and dip in eggwash and then again in breadcrumbs. They should be well coated in crumbs by now. Cover in clingwrap and refrigerate until ready to cook.

Cook in a shallow pan with a small amount of vegetable oil or olive oil for approx 5 to 8 minutes until cooked, turning to brown all sides. Medium heat for oil as they are meant to be golden brown, not dark brown. You may add a small amount of butter to the oil to assist browning.

Now the sauce!

Make a light sauce, add a few teaspoons of finely diced dried apricots, a little bit of mustard is alright (to taste), a few more chopped slivered almonds, and a teaspoon or two (to taste) of apricot jam. Try one teaspoon of jam initially as it's easy to overpower what is meant to be a light sauce.The apricot, garlic, are my innovation, the sauce belongs to Mrs Dig and helps to give a mild taste of apricot both in the roll and the sauce, leave those things out if you want as they aren't in the original recipe. A light sauce moistens the rolls nicely.

I have cooked this on the BBQ a number of times on a low heat and as long as you keep rotating them while cooking, they are sensational! I usually serve a salad or two or three veggies and boiled chat potatoes with this dish. Corn goes well too.

This is my take on things hope I haven't left anything out????

Dig
Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Post by Babylon »

Sorry Dig what i meant was there is now a sub forum for bacon Recipes sorry for Confusing you.Babylon :thumbsup:
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

Babylon wrote:Sorry Dig what i meant was there is now a sub forum for bacon Recipes sorry for Confusing you.Babylon :thumbsup:
Dont worry mate I'm easily confused!

I was running this morning when I posted that as I was on my way fishing for the day. I think I put up the wrong recipe anyway....no bacon~

Bloody good recipe though!
edt4eva
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler 14

Post by edt4eva »

Got a smoker for my birthday, here is my first attempt at home made smoked bacon. Pickled for 7 days then smoked for 3 hours.
image.jpg
PB's / Estuary Perch 42cm (Nelson), Pike 85cm (Curlewis Bank), Flathead 50cm (Portarlington), Trevally 38cm (Swan Bay)
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

And?
edt4eva
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by edt4eva »

Digger wrote:And?
Lol, yummy!
PB's / Estuary Perch 42cm (Nelson), Pike 85cm (Curlewis Bank), Flathead 50cm (Portarlington), Trevally 38cm (Swan Bay)
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

edt4eva wrote:
Lol, yummy!
i'm particularly interested because I'm saving up for a wood oven/pizza maker/Smoker, and we never seem to get bacon with enough smokiness down here so doing what you have done would be a logical progression thanks.

I like the thought of being able to easily inject smoke into the oven, for short periods, say 5 minutes for a pizza, or 10 minutes for a roast. Interesting possibilities????

I love smoking chicken breasts too, maybe fish.

Maybe someone can move this into recipes for us?
edt4eva
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by edt4eva »

Digger wrote:
edt4eva wrote:
Lol, yummy!
i'm particularly interested because I'm saving up for a wood oven/pizza maker/Smoker, and we never seem to get bacon with enough smokiness down here so doing what you have done would be a logical progression thanks.

I like the thought of being able to easily inject smoke into the oven, for short periods, say 5 minutes for a pizza, or 10 minutes for a roast. Interesting possibilities????

I love smoking chicken breasts too, maybe fish.

Maybe someone can move this into recipes for us?
Cool, I got this for my birthday:
image.jpg
http://www.hark.com.au/index.php?route= ... duct_id=79
Ended up ordering it through BBQs Galore and was $309.
As for the Bacon, I used this recipe:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/homemade-bacon.html
The part of meat I bought was the Pork Loin.
I am thinking that I can continually top up the wood chips or even leave them out making it a portable gas oven, just a matter of playing and tweaking recipes. As far as the pizzas, they are going to be rectangle ones because of the size of smoker, but that will be ok.

Hope that helps you digger.
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

Thanks for your trouble Daryl, I have kept some links fro that thanks.

This is what I'm saving for ATM. I want ths moker but generally want a wood fired oven , hence this choice. http://fornetto.com/models/fornetto/