Kayak for Altona area

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Re: Kayak for Altona area

Post by peatop »

All i can say is if you get less that 13' it will limit when and where you can go the quest is the same as the revo but no pedals, there are heaps of guys on here with quests and revos and far more experience than me so I'll let them explain
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
thelastreject
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Compass

Post by thelastreject »

Thanks to everyone who provided advice.

I settled on a Hobie Quest 11, which I got after chatting with the guys at Action Sports in Geelong.
At $1850, it was a bit more than I was originally hoping to pay but it ticked all my needs and I figure that Hobie is the best and will serve me well for quite a few years.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

I have a quest 11 & 13, the 11 is ok on the bay in calm conditions. Better than most that size. However if it blows up then it can get a bit squirrelly, like all yaks that size. This is where stepping up to a 13 makes a big difference. Which is a very capable allrounder, especially if equipped with a rudder. A quest 13 is better than a ranger

Edit: posted this before i saw your last post. Stay away from choppy conditions, the smaller nose of the 11 lacks the bouyancy of the bigger boats so the nose will dive more into waves causing front hatch to take on water in severe conditions. You dont want to be caught out at altona cardinal if a strong southerly blows up.
thelastreject
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Compass

Post by thelastreject »

laneends wrote: Stay away from choppy conditions, the smaller nose of the 11 lacks the bouyancy of the bigger boats so the nose will dive more into waves causing front hatch to take on water in severe conditions. You dont want to be caught out at altona cardinal if a strong southerly blows up.
Top advice!! I don't plan on going out in choppy conditions. Mostly calm days, some swell is ok and winds under 20kms (preferably under 10).

I went out this morning in Altona on my little cheap 3m yak and the conditions were about my maximum threshold, which I think the Hobie should handle well. The shorter kayak is more due to having nowhere to store a longer kayak. So I'm a bit limited. I'd love to have a nice long kayak but at this stage its not practical for me, maybe in the future.
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

thelastreject wrote:
laneends wrote: Stay away from choppy conditions, the smaller nose of the 11 lacks the bouyancy of the bigger boats so the nose will dive more into waves causing front hatch to take on water in severe conditions. You dont want to be caught out at altona cardinal if a strong southerly blows up.
Top advice!! I don't plan on going out in choppy conditions. Mostly calm days, some swell is ok and winds under 20kms (preferably under 10).

I went out this morning in Altona on my little cheap 3m yak and the conditions were about my maximum threshold, which I think the Hobie should handle well. The shorter kayak is more due to having nowhere to store a longer kayak. So I'm a bit limited. I'd love to have a nice long kayak but at this stage its not practical for me, maybe in the future.
You just gotta want it bad enough. Last time I was house hunting I knocked back heaps that didn't have a garage big enough for the squat rack and the kayaks.
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

Seen people with kids with a severe disability who’s parents have an impractical 4x4 trying to get a Wheelchair and accessories into the back and compromising on the best equipment for the kid.
Guess who loses out and suffers - mostly the kid & family also.
A life is worth more than impracticalities, anyone on here who’s been yak fishing for a while can testify how quickly things get ugly out there that wasn’t forecasted or anticipated.
Having said that I wish you all best with your future fishing adventures :up:
John 3.16/17
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Yako wrote:Seen people with kids with a severe disability who’s parents have an impractical 4x4 trying to get a Wheelchair and accessories into the back and compromising on the best equipment for the kid.
A life is worth more than impracticalities, anyone on here who’s been yak fishing for a while can testify how quickly things get ugly out there that wasn’t forecasted or anticipated.
yep that extra 2 foot is a bigger shaving off the safety margin than you would expect. Having said that I still reckon its one of the best 11 foot paddle kayaks you can buy, it has excellent primary stability due to the slight fattening behind the seat, and great storage
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

laneends wrote:
Yako wrote:Seen people with kids with a severe disability who’s parents have an impractical 4x4 trying to get a Wheelchair and accessories into the back and compromising on the best equipment for the kid.
yep that extra 2 foot is a bigger shaving off the safety margin than you would expect. Having said that I still reckon its one of the best 11 foot paddle kayaks you can buy, it has excellent primary stability due to the slight fattening behind the seat, and great storage
Im wiith you Keith one of each then your covered :thumbsup: :lol: im still thinking about which second kayak would suit my needs as i can't afford everyone and don't really have room for more than one lol
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm