Sounder display help - Garmin Striker 4 plus

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
clintos
Apprentice
kayak: Pedalfish 10

Sounder display help - Garmin Striker 4 plus

Post by clintos »

Hi all,

I have a Striker 4 plus fish finder on the yak and have only really been using it for depth reasons, however it's a bit of a waste of money if I don't get the full use of one of it's main purposes - finding fish/structure.

I'll try and upload a pick that is representative of what I see most times I'm out - just a heap of weed!? Was wondering if anyone would have any tips about settings to try and get a better understanding of how to actually pick up fish or weed beds/structure that may assist in locating best places to cast my plastics.

Normally I gust pedal out to a good depth for the fish I'm targeting and if I don't get anything within 10 mins move and try again - I'm still getting onto enough fish but probably wasting a lot of time out there also.

I currently have the transducer hull mounted on a flat section on the bow, sitting in a good blob of selleys all clear.

cheers

Clint
Attachments
lots of weed?
lots of weed?
fish finder.png (97.92 KiB) Viewed 2254 times
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Re: Sounder display help - Garmin Striker 4 plus

Post by Seasherpa »

You could adjust your gain setting downwards so that the screen will show less of the 'noise' and only bigger targets.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Im not sure it's weed? I've never seen that on my striker 4 plus, no matter how bad the noise is, could it be air bubbles? If thats weed i would stay home cause that looks like bad weed :( hmm wonder if you could smoke it lol
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
clintos
Apprentice

Post by clintos »

I did consider air bubbles in the silocone however the picture constantly changes, and there are no marks when it is out of the water on its storage stand, so not sure? I'll try turning the rain down.

I only generally fish in water between 4-10 meters so not sure if you need to change setting for shallow water specific?
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

I only used my 4 plus for one season but i dont recall weed showing up on it, i fish swan bay which gets very weedy at times however alway had my gain set to auto, hmm altough a thought just come to mind :shock: i had an old/wrong transducer fitted, this could explain the different display i got, since fitting my new 7 plus sv I've noticed i get lots of noise now but still no clumps like your showing, my transducer is in the water though.

Can you see the weed floatinng under your yak? I probably don't have the experience to give you the right answers, just going on my own experiences ;)
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

That image, was that somewhere very tidal like Westernport?

If that was weed then it looks like significant weed and it would require a good strong run to move it like that I reckon.

Often when you are moving the pic looks quite different to when you are at rest, so if you see something like that stop and see what it looks like then?

Often I see schools of fish looking like that but can only resolve the shapes when I stop.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

Yeah i was going to ask if it was vey tidal, for that to be weed, didn't even think about the scroll speed, given in a kayak we only travel at low speed the scroll should be set to low, it does look like your unit is still set to factory settings, if so this woukd account for what your seeing, unfortunately the manuals dont give you much information on how to properly setup and understand your new purchase, i get the impression they think we are all experts at using their products lol

Jump on YouTube and search for hiw to setup a fishfinder for a kayak, on of the problems on a kayak is you cant sit/stand next to an expert to watch what they're doing, once you have the basics then you can use the explanations/videos used for boat opperaters, i wouldn't adjust the gains apart from removing small noise as you could remove the bait or even small to medium fish (bream/snapper)
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

I might add that all my Garmins have shown weed quite clearly.
clintos
Apprentice

Post by clintos »

Digger wrote:That image, was that somewhere very tidal like Westernport?

If that was weed then it looks like significant weed and it would require a good strong run to move it like that I reckon.

Often when you are moving the pic looks quite different to when you are at rest, so if you see something like that stop and see what it looks like then?

Often I see schools of fish looking like that but can only resolve the shapes when I stop.
This image was from St Leonards. I'll be going out this weekend so I'll spend some time playing around with the settings a bit more - hopefully the water is a bit clear also - I do go out often from Campbells cove which always has a good amount of weed passing through, not to mention the huge jelly fish.