Is the Hobie Revolution 11 too short for PPB?

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
ROYCEB
kayak: Revo 13

Is the Hobie Revolution 11 too short for PPB?

Post by ROYCEB »

Im looking whether to get a 13 or, 11. i would prefer to get an 11 as it would be easier to handle although not sure if it would be suitable.
Thanks for any tips
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Re: Is the Hobie Revolution 11 too short for PPB?

Post by peatop »

The revo 11 is more suited to rivers, you will appreciate the 13 more if the wind picks up, and also a good unit if you ever venture offshore.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

Royce you can do PPB in an 11, you'll notice that the predominant message on here is get a much longer boat for the bays. This is meant to offset the message coming from elements on Facebook groups of "I got a 2.5m kayak, I went out in 30knt winds and I was fine so you will be too"
When your boat gets shorter, your margin for error drops, but so long as you take this into consideration in your trip planning and intended use, you should be fine.
Its the gung-ho gang that get themselves in trouble. Stay within your limits and work on getting your own skills up and you will be ahead of a lot of the guys out there.
Easy to transport at that size and better made than a number of other boats at the shorter end of the market.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

The advantage of a revo 11 over other short paddle type yaks is it is easier to keep pointing straight in stiff winds. Also the back is wider than the 13 which compenates for the lesser volume providing buoyancy behind you. So the tendacy to suddenly flip backwards is avoided.

I have a quest 11 and 13 and find the 11 just as stable. Deck space and storage is not much different to the 13.

HOWEVER, that said once it gets very bumpy the quest 11 starts to get squirrelly as it dives between waves into the troughs. This would be even more unnerving in a pedal kayak compared to the paddle version. The nose starts to dive through rather than over the waves. The front hatch on these hobies are not designed for submersion, so it starts to swamp and take on water via front hatch

In short, an 11 is capable in most conditions even strong winds. But once the chop starts to build up your safety margin is much less
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Post by Reeling »

As said, the revo11 is probably one of the best shorter kayaks you could chose if you can't go to the 13ft. It's narrower than many of the other kayaks of the same length so tracking should still be ok in moderate conditions.

To reiterate Keith's comments, I didn't really feel that confident in my revo13 when the chop built up as you dont have the natural ability to brace with every paddle stroke as you peddle along.
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

Would I take one on the bay? Yes but down grade suitable weather predictions. Don't plan to go too far out. Head in sooner if it starts to get rough.
frappa11
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: i9s, olive revo 13

Post by frappa11 »

is the hobie revo 11 that much easier to handle ? i think the 13 is only 3 kg heavier then the 11 (and the 11 is like 28kg ? so only around 10% heavier ?). ANd when you are car topping by lifting only 1 end of the kayak you only lift 1/2 the weight so its really just 1.5kg you are lifting

the 13 is also not much more expensive then the 11 new i think (like $100 more ?)

when I was looking for the 13 i thought since there is so little difference in weight and cost, there was no point to getting the 11

only reason i can think is if you do not have storage space for an extra 1/2 meter of kayak in your garage or something
ROYCEB
kayak: Revo 13

Post by ROYCEB »

thanks guys, ill keep your tips in mind. :up: 13 looks like its the way to go, so if anyone is selling for reasonable price, pm me please :evilgrin:
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

An 11 can be easily lifted jerk style overhead, 13 I would not recommend regularly doing this. More a case of bulk than outright weight. At the end of the day though you spend more time sitting on it than manhandling it. I would go the 13 unless you had a good reason not to.
westmantooth
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Glassie

Post by westmantooth »

How’s about you go for something longer. Length is always best in most every situation I can think of.

Got an as new Hobie Adventure going for a song here - $999.00 and it’s yours...... :evilgrin:

It’s red too....twice as fast....

:up: