Best small kayak for inshore?

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
westmantooth
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Glassie

Best small kayak for inshore?

Post by westmantooth »

Howdy.

Thinking I want a cheap small kayak for fishing close inshore around Lysaughts, Warneet channel and Woolys beach in Westernport. I’m an experienced kayak fisherman, but looking for the ultimate in downsized, bog simple, drag the thing off the back of the ute, single rod, paddle 200m off shore, anchor and hook into some squid, flathead and whiting. No need for storage, F/F, or anything much more fancy than an anchor trolley. No idea how small I can safely go, so I’m looking for any opinions and ideas from the good folk here with tiny craft.

Cheers Ross :)
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Re: Best small kayak for inshore?

Post by Seasherpa »

Maybe chase up an Aquayak Scout or Ranger depending on how little you want to go. The Ranger will be more comfortable but if compact size is the main priority then maybe the Scout. Well made, stable kayaks the hard keel line means they don't turn as quick as other yaks of that size but if you are sitting at anchor then it doesn't matter.
westmantooth

Post by westmantooth »

Thanks for that Seasherpa. The Scout at 3 m is maybe too long. The Ranger at 3.7 is a no show. Should have mentioned I’m really looking for a super short arsed barge, but realise I’m probably going a tad too far in handle ability and safety, but then I don’t really know how far I can go in the short arsed stakes having only paddled and pedaled really long yaks. Haven’t got a clue as to how short I can go. Not looking for any endurance paddles, max distance off shore will be 200m. I’m 5’11” too.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Problem with really short ones, even if you dont want to travel any distance, is the lack of bouyancy in the back. Little bit bumpy. nose rises and over backwards you go without warning. Being dumped from an anchored kayak in the areas you mention is not the safest.
westmantooth

Post by westmantooth »

Good points Ianeends. Was not aware of those issues. 2.7 m Snapper from Aquayak is currently looking good.
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

laneends wrote:Problem with really short ones, even if you dont want to travel any distance, is the lack of bouyancy in the back. Little bit bumpy. nose rises and over backwards you go without warning. Being dumped from an anchored kayak in the areas you mention is not the safest.
:thumbsup:
It's really not worth your life or risking injury for a short yak.
I can't tell you how many times I've been in situations where the weather changed without warning and was not forecast. I'm sure there are plenty here who had had the same.
Had I been in a shorter kayak on a number of occassions I would have been in serious strife.
John 3.16/17
westmantooth

Post by westmantooth »

Wondering now if a SUP wouldn’t best suit my purpose? Sadly, I’m the kind of minimalist that manages to complicate everything.
westmantooth

Post by westmantooth »

Ignore previous comment. Late night brain fart. SUP’s on WP probably rarely ideal. Still looking for short arsed barges that paddle like a square.
pgoldsmith
Apprentice
kayak: Aquayak Scout

Post by pgoldsmith »

I’ve got a 3m Scout and it suits my needs. I fish in PPB mainly from Black Rock and Ricketts, light enough to lift on my own and doesn’t take up loads of storage space in my garage.
westmantooth

Post by westmantooth »

Suits your needs then can’t ask for much more.

I know what good design looks like in a big yak, but unsure what the parameters are in a shorty. Looked at a SEAK yesterday and it had a pointy undercut scooped bow. Don’t like it. Would’ve thought a ballooned bow would be the ticket for maximum time spent on top of the water. Interested to hear anyone’s thoughts on what constitutes a good design in something 2.7 max long.