Anchoring off Lang Lang near spit point

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
frappa11
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: i9s, olive revo 13

Anchoring off Lang Lang near spit point

Post by frappa11 »

When I was in my inflatable hobie i9s, I had no problems anchoring near spit point even at peak tide flow - my 1.5kg anchor held me still and I did not drift.

Now that I upgraded to a hobie revo 13, I find that now when I anchor, I drift slowly (1-2km a hour ? up to 1 knot ? my sounder gps aint the best).

I anchored the same way and even my anchor trolley is rigged up the same way. Is it simply because I went to a longer boat thats causing this ?

Do I have up upsize my anchor ? or can I do something else (i.e. use more chain off my anchor ? I have around 1m atm).

I prefer to keep my current anchor as its already tiring pulling it up and down.

Any tips ?
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Re: Anchoring off Lang Lang near spit point

Post by Reeling »

1. Let more anchor rope out
2. Larger anchor.
3. Double the chain. ( I had a removable length I added for WP as my revo sometimes did the same)
4. Take less stuff so the kayak is lighter
5. Lose weight :)
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
Rawprawn
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Howie pa

Post by Rawprawn »

1m of chain isnt going to cut it, try atleast 3m or even 4, massive difference
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

First off, look at how much rope you're letting out and make it a lot more. Then look at increasing your chain but 1m of very heavy chain is plenty for me, longer if lighter chain.

It can sometimes be hard to get an anchor to grip when there's swell or chop. Longer rope (3+ x depth) lowers the angle and prevents it being lifted. In some cases you just need to find some rough ground to drop the anchor on so that it can grip. But make sure you've got a break-away on it that works.
0408 565 763
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Post by Reeling »

Rawprawn wrote:1m of chain isnt going to cut it, try atleast 3m or even 4, massive difference
Really? may as well replace all the rope for chain at that rate :roll:
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

frappa11 wrote:When I was in my inflatable hobie i9s, I had no problems anchoring near spit point even at peak tide flow - my 1.5kg anchor held me still and I did not drift.

Now that I upgraded to a hobie revo 13, I find that now when I anchor, I drift slowly (1-2km a hour ? up to 1 knot ? my sounder gps aint the best).

I anchored the same way and even my anchor trolley is rigged up the same way. Is it simply because I went to a longer boat thats causing this ?

Do I have up upsize my anchor ? or can I do something else (i.e. use more chain off my anchor ? I have around 1m atm).

I prefer to keep my current anchor as its already tiring pulling it up and down.

Any tips ?
first tip you need 3 x as much rope out as the depth you are anchoring in -- ie 8 meters deep = 24 meters of rope
more if there is swell - wind
adding chain along the rope above the anchor ( along the rope a meter or so up ) bellies the rope down and sets up a better angle for the anchor like more rope out
just putting a chain on your anchor doesn't work as well as the same weight up along the rope

you should get away with a 1.5 kg folding anchor without any problem - only needing to up grade bigger in higher tide flows the whole LL - JJ area has fairly low tide flows
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

The channel near spit point probably runs harder than most around there, especially if you are anchoring in the deeper areas. 1.5kg with 1m chain can be borderline there, especially if your lines load with weed and increases the drag. I also have a 2.5k grapnel that I swap out for WP, by using d shackles rather than tying direct to anchor. This means you dont have to have 2-3m of chain. It does fine for most areas. Excessive amounts of rope out is excessive amounts to reel in each time
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

A stand in rig up is to shackle an extra weight to top of chain, instead of extra chain. I used this method with a gym plate successfully for sometime. Though it is an added snag risk, though not usually an issue there.
frappa11
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: i9s, olive revo 13

Post by frappa11 »

Thanks everyone - question to the pros though

if you are trying to anchor yourself over a particular bit of bottom (drop off, reef etc) that is not too big in area, how do you do it ? (i.e. precision anchoring ?)

do you look at the depth, estimate how much horizontol distance 3x depth rope would make (cue the high school trig), paddle up current approximately that distance, anchor, then slowly let out drop until you drift over the area you want (i.e. check on the sounder) then clip in the rope ?

or is there some other technique/rule of tumb ?

curious as I have had much trouble doing this now that I have a better sounder and am trying to to position myself over specific structure/dropoffs and making trouble doing it
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

frappa11 wrote:Thanks everyone - question to the pros though

if you are trying to anchor yourself over a particular bit of bottom (drop off, reef etc) that is not too big in area, how do you do it ? (i.e. precision anchoring ?)

do you look at the depth, estimate how much horizontol distance 3x depth rope would make (cue the high school trig), paddle up current approximately that distance, anchor, then slowly let out drop until you drift over the area you want (i.e. check on the sounder) then clip in the rope ?

or is there some other technique/rule of tumb ?

curious as I have had much trouble doing this now that I have a better sounder and am trying to to position myself over specific structure/dropoffs and making trouble doing it
I try to
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)