Lures and soft plastics

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Lures and soft plastics

Post by peatop »

Im posting this in newbie questions as im new to kayak fishing Portland and new to using hardbodie lures, im trying to setup for more lure use but again when i look at lures on the wall in the tackle shop im like a kid in the candy store, i have no idea what to buy!

So im asking the experts, what suggestions do you guys have for my coming trip to Portland? I guess i will be chasing snapper, kingies and tuna, so any suggestions for all styles of lures including sp's.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Re: Lures and soft plastics

Post by shane »

Below are my goto selections:

HB's:
Williamson Speedpro deep in Pilchard
Samaki Pacemaker 140DD - redbait or pilchard
Xrap 20 and 30 - various colours
Stick-baits - various will work

Top water Plastics:
Zman Heroz - 10" white
Hoogy or Slug-go

Trolling/Flicking plastics
Zman 7" jerk bait
Squidgy flick bait 85mm slimy or pilchard
Any other 7" flick bait or similar trolled on a 3/4 or 1oz 7/0 (eg TT Headlockz)

Also don't forget a squid strip rigged on a big worm hook and a white occy skirt. (this accounted for my 2 best tuna this year and is a classic for kings)

Best option if you can get it is live bait - squid, slimy or yakka, but can be hard to come by when you want them.

Be aware that some of the bigger HB's cause a bit of drag while trolling. Plastics/squid strips are generally easier when needing to cover distance then mix and match when in the zone. You will typically need to travel 5-7km min to locate tuna whereas kings can be in very close or on the reefs (eg Mnerva). Summer tuna and kings are often feeding on top so have a rod rigged read with a stick bait or big surface plastic.
Last edited by shane on 14 Oct 2018, 21:17, edited 1 time in total.
0408 565 763
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

What Shane said, but I have also picked up some Tuna on 3 inch sp's rigged on a 5/0 jighead. Down sized to match the hatch.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

maverick wrote:What Shane said, but I have also picked up some Tuna on 3 inch sp's rigged on a 5/0 jighead. Down sized to match the hatch.
Yes this. I forgot to mention there are some days when they are feeding on white bait and not interested in anything else. A 3" white SP on a small HD jig head can often temp them. I'll also be making up some skutes this season using a white-bait fly pattern tied to a jighead.
0408 565 763
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Thank guys greatly appreciated :up:
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm