New PA14 wet feet

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
NEWHOBIEI11S
The force is strong in this one
kayak: HOBIE PA14

New PA14 wet feet

Post by NEWHOBIEI11S »

Hi guys,
Something I never considered when purchasing the new make, wet feet. I just watched a you tube vid and the guy had a pool of water round his feet the entire time. Does this happen with the aPA14. Is this a common thing with yams or just some models, hopefully not mine.
Cheers
time2fish
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: 2018 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Re: New PA14 wet feet

Post by time2fish »

i paddale my yak out to 2 metres before i put the drive in so yes water does come through the drive hole. no biggie but ? ...you will get some waves that will produce water in the yak...
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

The water level in mine is about 2-3 inches below deck level at the drive well, i have had water come over the front but it drains through the drive well vary fast, so i can say your feet have no chance to sit in water, unless either your sinking or you have your feet over the side.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Franko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Dune AI, stealth Supalite X

Post by Franko »

Ain't anywhere near as bad as the other models. The PA is a very dry ride in comparison. However kayak fishing ain't a dry sport.
0401 314 820

Instagram Page Franko Fishes
erik the viking
Square eyes
kayak: 2015 Outback

Post by erik the viking »

Wet feet on a PA14?
I have seen someone launch and retrieve on PPB in varying conditions wearing Blundstones and not get wet socks!
Can't see an issue at all.
I have also heard the the Australian Navy is looking at getting a few of the latest models to use as compact aircraft carriers! :yahoo: :yahoo:
Yep, they are a big craft.
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

NEWHOBIEI11S wrote:Hi guys,
Something I never considered when purchasing the new make, wet feet. I just watched a you tube vid and the guy had a pool of water round his feet the entire time. Does this happen with the aPA14. Is this a common thing with yams or just some models, hopefully not mine.
Cheers
Could always get some dry pants! But water pooling in a PA is not a common problem.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
NEWHOBIEI11S
The force is strong in this one
kayak: HOBIE PA14

Post by NEWHOBIEI11S »

Thanks Guys,
glad to no my aircraft carrier is sort after by the Navy. it might be more reliable than those two ships we had built at Willi. I heard they were having lots of probs with them.
And I also bought the dry pants.
Cheers for input guys
Adrian
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

All good, now have a read about the different sort of clothing to wear under you pants, there are some very good suggestions in threads hear and Eoin (seasherpa.com.au ) also has a section on appropriate kayaking wear, this might seam a bit overkill but most of it is more geared to cold water/weather, then look at your offshore saftey gear ;) im sure you will soon be wanting to join in on some of the trips local or away.

Now your ready to go, take it easy and build up your stamina for those big trips and when you get caught out in less that desirable weather ;)
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm