Yak Dollies / Karts

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
NEWHOBIEI11S
The force is strong in this one
kayak: HOBIE PA14

Yak Dollies / Karts

Post by NEWHOBIEI11S »

Hey Guys,
picking up the new PA14's soon and wanted some feedback on what sort of wheels to run.
I like look of this set https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhNjSJrOsIM however I heard that the warranty is voided if you drill holes to fit.
On the other hand this system also looks good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBLFK7GKyW8

Cheers
Adrian
time2fish
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: 2018 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Re: Yak Dollies / Karts

Post by time2fish »

i love the first one but i went for this one simular to your second vid but way easier
http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... t=maverick

ive been through home made. anaconda, ebay wheels/carts ...purchased hobie set well worth the cash specially the trax edition if you go on sand alot.
Last edited by time2fish on 18 Sep 2018, 19:38, edited 1 time in total.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

The first one is too complicated, not strong enough and no good for anything but hard surfaces. Balloon wheels in a scupper cart are generally the preferred option for a PA14. The smaller wheeleez will do the job OK and easier to store on board. The bigger wheeleez are best if you carry a lot of gear and have further to wheel over sand but are harder to store and transport. You can attach bungee loops or else make up a separate bungee that attaches to loops at the ends of the cart. However for a PA 14 I still find it easier to roll on its side and just insert the cart.

If you're a little bit handy, these are a cheaper alternative that work OK. http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... lley+wheel
0408 565 763
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by vicyak »

The smaller wheelez is ok but the big one is great. Much easier and if you carry a bit of gear like Shane said hell of a lot easier. Also 2nd that just rolling onto the side and inserting the cart is easy enough. I punctured 2 wheels on the small wheelez. Larger ones didnt have an issue.
NEWHOBIEI11S

Post by NEWHOBIEI11S »

Sounds good I'll order with larger wheels.
Thanks Guys
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by vicyak »

Be aware the large wheels are large. Using the straps on the back of the yak so the wheels are far back as possible helps. Depending on where I launched and tide sometimes I even put them back in the car.

If you were buying the wheels spend the extra bit. Worth it for the PA14.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

I bought the bigger scupper sand wheels, i found on my old yak, the bigger the better, if there's any weed on the foreshore it can make the smaller wheels hard work. It's also a lot easier to take the PA to and from the water empty where possible, to insert the wheels after your trip i do as Shane said and just tip the PA up on it's side and insert the wheels.

The grapnel anchor is the way to go, as everyone has said, look at hiw to set it up in the diy threads, make sure to use heavier chain (not to heavy) and minimum of a metre it also acts to hold you in position, the anchor size depends on you fishing location, the higher currents of western port would require a heavier anchor than ppb.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
NEWHOBIEI11S

Post by NEWHOBIEI11S »

Good advice thank you. Large wheels ordered and I’ll just use it and see how I ho. Can always make changes later.
Cheers
Adrian