Time for the move to pedal

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Jordo
Square eyes
kayak: AI

Re: Time for the move to pedal

Post by Jordo »

If you want a good offshore sail boat then get an AI, they are perfectly suited to that purpose. If you want a good offshore pedal yak then go a revo 16, they are the most suited pedal kayak for offshore. Other kayaks can deffinantly be taken offshore but are less adequate at it. If you want to target tuna offshore then you need to cover a lot of distance, so go for the best suited kayak you can. If tuna doesn't interested you (whats wrong with you :lol: ) then you can go for the PA and still have a bit of offshore capability, if you know what you're doing.
Time spent in the ocean is time spent living.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

shane wrote: It's also not great at anchor with the tail burying into chop, letting some water in the rudder lines.
is there a seat that can be turned rear ward while on the water for an AI fishing off the rear like a boat and anchored off the front this would take the mast out of play while fishing and would be easy to set up rod holders

anyway it's just a thought
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

cheaterparts wrote:
shane wrote: It's also not great at anchor with the tail burying into chop, letting some water in the rudder lines.
is there a seat that can be turned rear ward while on the water for an AI fishing off the rear like a boat and anchored off the front this would take the mast out of play while fishing and would be easy to set up rod holders

Apart from issues with no leg space it means you would have line tangles with anything in the back tankwell, rocket launchers, flag and the rudder itself. Interesting concept though
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

cheaterparts wrote:

If you want a boat Steve just buy a boat.. it's ok your getting older :lol: I do see what you mean thou, I'm sure with some good engineering your concept could be reality
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

What's wrong with getting an AI and using it without the sail and outriggers for inshore fishing? Isn't it just a Revo 16 at that point?
spider25160
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie itrek 11

Post by spider25160 »

*Gab* wrote:
spider25160 wrote:Ok so my last yak was a 2015 PA14 .... great off shore fishing platform....
Define " OFFSHORE "....
I live in Portland Gab 10 meters off the beach is :oops: nearly offshore here
Your mind is like a Parachute! It only works when it is open
Yak PB's: Snook 68cm, Black Bream 38cm, KGW 50cm, :up: Couta 72cm, snapper 45cm Australian Salmon 64cm Redfin 37cm EP 39cm Blue throat wrasse 46cm Dusky Flathead 56cm :yahoo:
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

4liters wrote:What's wrong with getting an AI and using it without the sail and outriggers for inshore fishing? Isn't it just a Revo 16 at that point?
Problem is you wont be able to use any bolt on seating as it will be too tippy. Pete specifically doesn't want to use the basic older model wet bum hobie seat. Neither would I now. To get a comfy, dry usuable (in kayak mode) seat in the adventure hull you need an actual revo 16. The AI2 if you can afford one is way heavier and a different hull.

For extra stability if required a daggerboard/keel can be slotted in. I use a homemade smaller one, the OEM is too big for non sailing purposes.

I guess the real question is do any of the AI owners ever actually use it in single hull mode, despite the theory.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

laneends wrote: I guess the real question is do any of the AI owners ever actually use it in single hull mode, despite the theory.
As I mentioned earlier I've used mine single hull but don't like it so always have an amma if not sailing. Apart from the lack of space it's very tippy and tricky to corner. It's better with the original low seat and a daggerboard but then it's a very wet ride and I don't like the pedal position as they have to be on the furthest pedal position/shortest stroke. I have a molded pad that can lift me above the seat water line but then it's even more tippy.

I have seen a few others use it single hull, particularly Hoit who often goes mono in the AI offshore when there's no wind.
0408 565 763
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Fast forward to the 4 minute mark, A PA, an Outback and an AI (hull only) in the ocean with Hoit onto a Tuna in the AI.

Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

So I had the older style outback which I found really comfortable and stable. I could stand up in it on calm water.

The Compass is definitely faster and more stable, even with the higher seat and it is probably a little more stable to stand up in. Enough room if you plan carefully. The seat can take a little getting used to because it isn't very adjustable. I ended up with a foam wedge cushion to make it more comfortable and it works great.

I had the Outback in the ocean and it is a ok, better than a Pro Angler. I know a couple of guys take their PA's out in the ocean, but they are really not designed for it. I have had the Compass in some ugly water and it is ok, similar to the Outback but not as wet. The Revo 13 & 16 are better ocean yaks, but without the storage. Although Grant Ashwell has caught marlin off his revo 13, 50 now in total - so they can be set up ok. He has a live well on his.

The AI is a bigger machine. It is multifunctional and I do take it out just sailing. I have used it without the sail in tri hull, outrigger and bare hull mode. It is ok to fish out of with a single hull and stable enough, particularly with the centreboard down. It is a pig to steer and does get blown around by the wind, more than the others. The seat is really comfortable however. Nothing comes close to it offshore - it is really the only yak that should be taken more than a few k's offshore. Even without wind,it is still ok to pedal, but build up to it. It is faster water in the water once it gets going.

The Compass will do ok offshore at places like Portland, but not long distances - like most yaks. Having the extra speed is a bonus.

I am a bit spoilt having the Compass and the AI, because they are quite different. The AI does take you to places no other yak will, and get you back. Once you have it you will use it more, there are a few more getting around now. The new model is faster and drier than the old model and if you are sailing with others in AI's you soon leave them behind which can be frustrating if you have to wait for them. Josh rooftops his AI, mine is on a trailer. Saves about 10 minutes in set up.

Having lived 400m from the water (up until a week ago) - the Compass was easy to walk across the road and be fishing in 5 minutes. The AI is a mission to take out, so I generally plan on a full day out. The Compass I am happy to drop in the water to fish for an hour or two before or after work.

Not sure if I helped at all?
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.