Time for the move to pedal

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Time for the move to pedal

Post by peatop »

Hi guys, sorry for rehashing old subjects :roll: but im still struggling with what hobie, after hours and hours of reading and talking to both people on here and AWS im still having conflicting thoughts, so im again bringing it up for discussion as im more seasoned.

So my first point is the majority of my fishing so far has and most likely will be ppb, although upgrading to pedals changes things a great deal, i will now be able to do more offshore, this has been one thing I've been wanting since my first trip out from Torquay, and im looking forward to a lot more once i build up the strength in my legs.

I've been watching Gumtree and ebay for a few months just watching what comes up, i found an AI https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/ringwoo ... 1185183159 and a PA12 https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hobie-Fishi ... SwUl5bD18p i have also been discussing the outback and compass, as previously discussed on here, i visited AWS the other day to check them all out again, after i explained my position to them and a lot of lengthy discussion it was suggested that the PA would be best for me in the bay and also very adequate for offshore, he also said the outback and compass were also quite suitable for what i was looking for in a kayak, he also said that the AI was an option if i was going to do a lot of offshore.

Now the reason im having trouble deciding. 18 years ago i suffered a back injury(not complaining, it is what it is) which ended my fishing, after finding i could kayak fish it's been a heavy learning curve ever since, im talking about my capabilities only, so now im at a point where i can buy a hobie, but which one?

I bought the Maverick, im impressed with it and have enjoyed every trip in it (accept paddling in 50kph winds) so my thoughts where the PA was the natural progression?
I want to do more offshore.
I fish mainly in the bay (will i do more offshore with a hobie?).
I want to do some of the fishing some of you guys do like NSC, maybe SWR (hopefully but not sure).

I like the idea of the AI, one of the things i liked was sailing, athough it was very limited, the idea that the AI has 3 setups really appeals as i can use it as just a kayak to head down to the local launch for an afternoon fish (hmm trying to think if I've fished any less than 8 hours ), the down side is having the maverick I've come to be accustomed to having the room to store, stretch and basically i like the room.

After giving it a lot of thought both the outback and compass are also suited to my style of fishing in ppb however they are both only 12 foot and makes me wonder how they would handle when i get caught in unpleasant weather next.

AWS offered a PA14 with 180 drive, sand wheels, 4 H rail rod holders for 4500, im yet to find a seconhand outback with the vantage seat :cry:

I'm after some input from you guys that have had the outback, PA, or AI as to the downside and the upside of choosing each?
If i were to find a secondhand kayak could one of you guys check it out for me if it's in your area?
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Re: Time for the move to pedal

Post by mingle »

PA and AI = heavy, really heavy. This is my biggest dislike of the A.I.

A.I. = complex and a bit of a hassle to set up.

P.A. = don't really think it's idea for offshore work. Probably okay in PPB, but outside into Bass Strait, probably not...

Have you considered the Revo (13)? I reckon it's the best all-rounder. Not as much on-deck storage as the Outback, but lighter, faster and still very stable.

Mike.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

Yah i looked at the revo but wouldn't have the room to get the relief needed when i have to stretch, hence when using an AI as mono it would be shorter trips.
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
time2fish
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: 2018 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Post by time2fish »

coming from a revo 11 to a 2013 pa 12 now a 2016 pa12 i havent looked back and love it..still a newbie and feel very safe and stable and the reverse drive is bloody awesome i use a trailer and dont find it heavy to lift or set up.

did you look at this one at aws
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/geelong ... 1185600635

revo 2015 2.5k
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/frankst ... 1184879198

outback on gumtree
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/hillsid ... 1180268388
Last edited by time2fish on 23 Jun 2018, 22:38, edited 2 times in total.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

time2fish wrote:coming from a revo 11 to a 2013 pa 12 now a 2016 pa12 i havent looked back and love it..still a newbie and feel very safe and stable and the reverse drive is bloody awesome i use a trailer and dont find it heavy to lift or set up.

did you look at this one at aws
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/geelong ... 1185600635
Yah i went there they quoted 4500 with sand wheels, 180 drive and 4 H rail rod holders.
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Post by Tim399 »

are you open to 2nd hand?
if so and you have the room you could possibly get a pre vantage seat pa14 then also get a 2nd hand offshore capable kayak too for $4500? :evilgrin:

EDIT: having only owned two kayaks and not done any offshore work i cant recommend any particular model that will suit both purposes
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

Yah definitely open to secondhand, some I've enquired about have sold fast but open to looking, the PA12 and AI are both secondhand.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

peatop wrote:Yah definitely open to secondhand, some I've enquired about have sold fast but open to looking, the PA12 and AI are both secondhand.
What type of AI? Old or new model. Old model is a wet bum ride. Newer model is much heavier.

Only hobie I would have is a revo 16, but they are not popular with anyone else for some reason. If you get an AI pretty sure you wont use it in single hull as you wont get used to the stability if most of the time you have amas attached. Too much of a contrast. Ergo an AI will nearly always entail more set up hassles. I probably wouldn't go AI unless I was really into sailing or large percentage of time "off shore".
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

first the PA is a great flat water boat just the thing for Bream fishing - not the greatest off shore jigger though , very poor performance in trailing seas and side on to bigger seas ( to much primary stability )

don't think much of the Outback ether for offshore

Revo or A.I. are probably your best bets - the revo 16 is probably the best option as Keith said

I'm not that keen on any of them myself and prefur to paddle a glass ski these days - I can cover good distance at good speed , they are fairly good in the surf zone if needed
and have better storage for gear and catch for offshore
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Post by Steve_R »

Back injury was part of the reason I went back to paddle. There was never an outing that wasn't uncomfortable. Paddling is good exercise for a bad back provided you use your torso, not just your arms.

Weight and the annoyance of service were other factors that helped the decision to go back to paddle but you would be aware of those and other reasons to choose one propulsion system over another.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/