Time for the move to pedal

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
*Gab*
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Pro Fisha 475

Re: Time for the move to pedal

Post by *Gab* »

peatop wrote: i will now be able to do more offshore, this has been one thing I've been wanting since my first trip out from Torquay, and im looking forward to a lot more once i build up the strength in my legs.
Glass is the way... AMEN.
I love not man the less, but nature more..
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

*Gab* wrote:Glass is the way... AMEN.

There ended the lesson !!! ---- Have you picked up your new yak yet Gab - if so what do you think of the new Model

Peatop it would be worth chatting to Eoin ( seasherpa ) and road test a glass ski - almost all new glass skis are cheaper than a new hobie and even if you still go with a pedal kayak the test would be a worth while exercise
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

cheaterparts wrote:

There ended the lesson !!! ---- Have you picked up your new yak yet Gab - if so what do you think of the new Model

Peatop it would be worth chatting to Eoin ( seasherpa ) and road test a glass ski - almost all new glass skis are cheaper than a new hobie and even if you still go with a pedal kayak the test would be a worth while exercise
I have chatted with Eoin, i like the idea of glass however i need good seating or my hours on the water are dramatically reduced.
As i said to Eoin, i would love glass as a second yak but i cant afford them all, the other reason i want paddle is for the hands free fishing, when i troll now it's an absolute pain tbh, in saying this i would love to try glass, it would be interesting to see how long i can stay comfortable. I might setup a time with Eoin once my son gets back to aus.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

peatop wrote:
cheaterparts wrote:

I have chatted with Eoin, i like the idea of glass however i need good seating or my hours on the water are dramatically reduced.
As i said to Eoin, i would love glass as a second yak but i cant afford them all, the other reason i want paddle is for the hands free fishing, when i troll now it's an absolute pain tbh, in saying this i would love to try glass, it would be interesting to see how long i can stay comfortable. I might setup a time with Eoin once my son gets back to aus.
Another aspect to this apart from the paddle vs pedal aspect is that longer skinnier yaks have a "glide" about them that gives a real kayak feel about them compared to the wider models. Its one of the reasons there is a divide between kayakers who fish and fishos who use kayaks as a tool. I know i would not enjoy anything wider or shorter than the revo 16 regardless of means of propulsion. Even this feels like a wide barge now, which is the compromise trade off necessary to have the option of hands free pedals. The paddle skills that can be developed on these kayaks is a completely different experience than you can utilise on a typical SOT fishing kayak. That can be an interest in itself

PA's are a great fishing utility tool, but they are still pedal boats rather than kayaks in the traditional sense. Which camp you fall into is only something you can determine. eg I could never imagine Cheater/Eoin/Jordo for example being at home on a PA its just not who they are.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

laneends wrote: I could never imagine Cheater/Eoin/Jordo for example being at home on a PA its just not who they are.
maybe when I take up bream fishing -- don't hold your breath Keith

Keith I have been drawing up a kayak to build and paddle ( not for fishing ) - 5.75 meters long or 5.596 meter water line -- 50.2 cm wide beam -- or 47.6 cm water line beam it should weigh around 15 kg built
my Stealth will feel fat like a PA after riding that
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
spider25160
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie itrek 11

Post by spider25160 »

Ok so my last yak was a 2015 PA14 magic boat for stability great off shore fishing platform huge amount of room for fishing gear and catch storage. It is slow and heavy but for me I am not racing and I am not carrying it the only time I have felt the need for speed was at the NSC when the glass crew were out to the anchorage before I had traveled half the distance.
My new yak is a 2016 AI which I bought because here in Portland the distances I need to travel leave me un-able to walk foe a day or two after a serious tuna chase. The AI is 2 feet longer but a much smaller boat when it comes to stowage available. To date I have only had it in the water once and on that day I spoke words that have never been heard in Portland before..."I wish there was more wind"... so I can't really give you a comparison for performance. I hope that helps a little.
Your mind is like a Parachute! It only works when it is open
Yak PB's: Snook 68cm, Black Bream 38cm, KGW 50cm, :up: Couta 72cm, snapper 45cm Australian Salmon 64cm Redfin 37cm EP 39cm Blue throat wrasse 46cm Dusky Flathead 56cm :yahoo:
*Gab*
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Pro Fisha 475

Post by *Gab* »

spider25160 wrote:Ok so my last yak was a 2015 PA14 .... great off shore fishing platform....
Define " OFFSHORE "....
cheaterparts wrote:Have you picked up your new yak yet Gab - if so what do you think of the new Model
Not yet.. still in South Africa. :thumbsup:
IMG-20180608-WA0001.jpg
I love not man the less, but nature more..
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

If i fished solely on the bay or offshore the choice would be easy, im after a pedal yak not paddle somewhat for medical reasons, im not asking you to tell me this is better than that.

Im more asking what are the capabilities of the different kayaks, i know the revo would/could suit my needs however as i need the vantage seat and room to move(medical reasons) this means i would have to buy new or close to new, the outback and compass would also suit my needs (space and vantage seat)my only issue is they are only 12 feet, then there is the AI and PA the PA although is a great unit i dont think it will suite me for offshore (not saying it's not suitable for offshore use) the AI again i have some doubts about it suitability for bay fishing (my style)if the outrigers are mainly used for offshore use (mono for general bay outings) could this be the answer? I could make a suitable seat fit in an older AI for long outings (used as an AI) then trade it out for the older seat when used mono?

Please think about your answer, i dont want you to tell me what i need ;) i want you to tell me/suggest options, im a very capable fabricator/engineer if i say it can be done i know i can do it! So modifications are no issue, what im after is ideas! I've never owned one you guys do/have so im asking you to think of ideas of how i can get the best out of my next purchase :up:
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Post by mingle »

Arrange with a Hobie dealer to take out an A.I. - you can try it in all of the three main 'modes': single-hull, single outrigger, or full-on A.I. mode.

The older (original) model A.I. can be fitted with a skipper seat and is about 12kg lighter than the current model - both of these points are relevant with regards to your bad back.

I often use my A.I. with a single outrigger (with tramp fitted). It's super-stable - I'd suggest even more so than a P.A. - and is still plenty quick. Plus the tramp provides loads of storage and working space.

It's also be worth trying out the Compass and Outback at the same time.

Mike.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

I own an AI, a PA and a couple of paddle yaks. The main paddle yak (Hobie Quest) mainly gets used for river work so most of these comments are about the AI and PA.

I have used the PA a lot offshore (up to 16km out at Portland) but it's not as suited to this sort of work. I still do use the PA offshore but more for bait fishing off Torquay, Woolami or near Barwon Heads. However I'm also a lot more picky wanting ideal weather conditions when using the PA. I actually prefer the PA for this sort of work as I find the AI to be a less suitable bait fishing platform. As long as I'm only going a few k's then I'll use the PA as it's quicker to get on the water and simpler to use and a much better fish fighting platform. For bay work I hardly ever bother to get the AI out and so the PA gets used more often than anything else. I also note my PA is an older style with a much lower COG than newer models and a few other mods (seals, rudder etc)

My more serious offshore fishing (Portland, SWR, wider from Flinders, Barwon Heads etc) is more about covering large distances searching for fish, typically trolling. I'm also more often out in challenging weather, wind or sea conditions. Here the AI comes into it's own above anything else (including glass) and makes a 60km+ day fairly standard. For offshore pelagic work in rough conditions I wouldn't be swapping the AI for anything (except a newer model). But in full AI mode it takes ages to set up with all the gear I carry, has limited useful storage space and the mast and ammas complicate things fighting bigger fish. It's also not great at anchor with the tail burying into chop, letting some water in the rudder lines. I use it quite a bit in Polynesian style, which is a nice combination of speed with a bit of space. If I didn't have the PA I expect I would use it this way more. It would make a serviceable general bay fishing platform just not as good as a PA imho. I don't tend to use the AI in single hull mode much as I don't like the ergonomics with the standard lower seat for someone of my height. The AI is one of the few yaks that can get close to one size fits all but only if its the only yak you have to choose from.

In your situation you could get an AI to work. Otherwise a revo 13 or 16 would be a good all around pedal yak for the sort of work you're contemplating. You would just need to sort out a system of where to put things or not carry as much. Design wise the Compass has some nice features that could make it a suitable platform but the 12' length also concerns me. There's a few being used offshore in the US, although not in comparable conditions to ours but it could still be good. There are some newer propeller pedal yaks of decent quality about now but I'm yet to see much of their offshore capability. All the best with your search. The main advice I would give is to take your time and try out as many on the water as you can, either demos or trying out someone elses.
0408 565 763