First post - roof topping

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
bennymac
Apprentice
kayak: PA14

First post - roof topping

Post by bennymac »

Hello,

This is my first post here. I'm a yak noob. I've recently found myself a Hobie Pro Angler 14 and I'm absolutely loving it. I'm currently transporting it on a box trailer but it hangs over the back a fair bit and I'm not sure it is exactly legal. So I'm considering car topping it. I drive a POS falcon wagon. I have some Rhino roof racks (the kind that clamp up under the door sills). I’m considering getting the Rhino T-load system. I think it could be a good solution as once the kayak is on the roof it effectively provides a 3rd crossbar at the rear of the vehicle.

My questions to you experienced kayakers are;
Do any of you use the T-load system?
Do you have any general advice for car topping a PA14?
Cheers,
Ben
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Re: First post - roof topping

Post by shane »

Welcome to VYAK. Make sure you have a good look around (especially the safety section) and introduce yourself.

I'd say your trailer overhang is definitely illegal if it's a standard box trailer. Have a search on here and you will find a couple of detailed threads that go through the legal requirements with trailers. A standard box trailer would need an extended draw bar and a load carrying point further forward to give you a legal overhang.

I typically car top my PA14 on a Skoda Octavia hatch. I find it pretty easy to do, the main trick is to only lift half of the kayak at a time. For me I find a side loading bar best as it lets me load from a standard on-street parking spot. The side bar is simply a 20mm steel bar with padding that spans between the ends to the roof racks on the passenger side of the car. I also have an upturn at the front but kayak cradles can do a similar job. To load I bring the yak up to the side tof the car at around a 30-40 degree angle with the nose up near the front wheel. Then lift the nose onto your shoulder with the rear on the ground and pivot the nose around till you can set it down on the cross bar. (The upturn on the bar or kayak cradle stops it sliding forward off the car.) Then go to the rear and lift it up while pivoting and sliding it onto the racks. The whole procedure takes less than a minute and is pretty easy.

A rear loading Rhino T-loader can also be a good option with a wagon. The procedure is similar to what I outlined above but you need sufficient clear space behind the car to allow you to load. That can be a draw-back at busy launch spots but still a bit better than a trailer.

A couple of other tips for car topping. I always use a front rope to secure the nose of the PA. While the racks might give good support the front rope makes it more secure and allows you to use less tension strapping to the racks to keep it straight, which is good for the hull. I also place some pool noodle with PVC conduit through the middle along the scupper grooves, 90 degrees to the racks. This supports the PA along the strongest part of the hull, lifts it up a bit and helps prevent the hull getting dented where it sits on the racks. Also take plenty of fresh water with you and rinse the yak off before loading to reduce the amount of salt water landing on the car roof. If you have the roof racks with rubber boots make sure to flush under them regular as they collect salt and sand and will rust through the paint quickly.
0408 565 763
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by vicyak »

I no longer roof top my PA14 but I had done for ages. did it on 2 cars. one was very high and always loaded and unload from the side. My other car is low and I loaded from the side but unloaded from the rear as it was quite easy.

As Shane said only lift one side at a time. I've posted something on here before but can't find the post. I made my own solution for about $40 which was stronger then the Rhino side loader equivalent.

- Heavy duty tent pole
- Heavy duty pole which can extend and slips into the tent pole this also had non slip tape on it.
- That was mounted to timber but could have been something else which was then attached to the roofrack. Never sliped and I weigh 130kg and I'm able to swing on it. Looked dodgy as but very effective.
bennymac
Apprentice

Post by bennymac »

Thanks for the advice fellas.

I like the idea of the 3rd crossbar at the rear of the wagon that the t-load would provide. I may still end up side loading as you guys do.

I have an old SHS tarp spreader bar that I could definitely make work... It would also look very dodgy...
Joshua
The force is strong in this one
kayak: 2011 Red AI - 2014 Dune Outback

Post by Joshua »

Hey Ben,
Welcome!
I load my PA from the rear but I have an old station wagon so I just use a camp mat on the back of the car to slide the yak onto the racks.

Where about are you located mate? Plenty of guys on here happy to have new tag alongs to be there to help get it on and off the roof the first few times.

You venturing out this weekend?
Best catch - Stingray on a hard-body
bennymac
Apprentice

Post by bennymac »

Cheers Joshua,

Would love to see how you load the PA onto your wagon and secure it. My station wagon is old also. I think my kayak would be worth more if I was to try to sell it.

I'm in Frankston South. Hoping to get out on Sunday morning weather permitting.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Use extra long cam straps and double wrap crossing straps over under the bars. This provides much more secure strapping spreading load all around hull, rather than attempting to compress hull down as happens when you just pass over top. lengthwise tubes can be left loose and are simply trapped between hull and bars

Like this;
IMG_1448r.JPG
Not like this:
IMG_1450r.JPG
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

bennymac wrote:Cheers Joshua,

Would love to see how you load the PA onto your wagon and secure it. My station wagon is old also. I think my kayak would be worth more if I was to try to sell it.

I'm in Frankston South. Hoping to get out on Sunday morning weather permitting.
There are a few good weather apps and sites for bay and coast weather, myself i use fish ranger and willys weather apps for a quick shot of pending conditions ;)
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
bennymac
Apprentice

Post by bennymac »

Thanks for the strapping tips Keith.

Thanks Peter. I'll give Fish Ranger a look

Cheers
tightlines
Square eyes
kayak: PA 14

Post by tightlines »

Hi Ben

Don’t quote me on this; my understanding of this matter is that on a standard 6x4 trailer you cannot have any overhang. But if it’s registered, you can have overhang. So I registered my 6x4 and transported my PA14 for six years like that with no issues. Rego was about $60 a year and a darn sight easier than car topping!

Like I said, don’t quote me on this; you may wish to investigate further.
http://vic.canoe.org.au/wp-content/uplo ... ion_v2.pdf