Hook replacement on paternoster rig

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Hook replacement on paternoster rig

Post by peatop »

Searched google for ways to tie a paternoster rig could only find loop ones, however after loosing a fight with a large fish(knot broke) i pm'd shane to find out which knot he used, in the meantime i happened across the granny knot. But my question is: when you make the rig do you make the hook leader longer, so when you cut/loose a hook there is room to replace it, or undo the knot and replace the hook leader?
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Re: Hook replacement on paternoster rig

Post by shane »

If you've done the knots right you shouldn't be able to undo them. I've usually got enough dropper length to tie on another hook. Failing that it's easy to tie another dropper and hook on the mainline using the same knot used to make the paternoster.
0408 565 763
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Post by Tim399 »

Is there a negative to using 3-way swivels for paternosters? I’ve just started tying my own snapper snatcher type rigs, but using 3 way swivels for the droppers, I thaught it would be good for stopping line twist when drifting?
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

I like the dropper loop paternosters because they allow you to change hooks without any knots, just pinch the dropper loop, pass it through the eye and over the shank. Reverse it to remove the hook.
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by Widsa »

Try this one lads, it has never failed me.
Once you get used to tying them they are easy.
The beauty of this knot is the line is doubled and twisted so it stiffens it up to stay out and away from the main line.
Once you get the hang of it this is the best knot in my opinion for a paternoster rig.

http://www.fishing-khaolak.com/knots/tw ... steps.html
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

Tim399 wrote:Is there a negative to using 3-way swivels for paternosters? I’ve just started tying my own snapper snatcher type rigs, but using 3 way swivels for the droppers, I thaught it would be good for stopping line twist when drifting?

More knots = more chance of failure and tangles.
I would only use paternoster for smaller species because iv had knots fail on them before.
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

i started using a method cheater told me about and it’s great. He can explain it and the any credit for it.
chrisw
Square eyes
kayak: Dune PA14

Post by chrisw »

Widsa wrote:Try this one lads, it has never failed me.
The beauty of this knot is the line is doubled and twisted so it stiffens it up to stay out and away from the main line.
Once you get the hang of it this is the best knot in my opinion for a paternoster rig.

I also like Geoff Wilson's diagrams ... I carry his waterproof mini-book in the yak with me for quick reference.
IMG_0846.JPG
Hooked On Bait & Tackle carry it, don't remember what it cost but it wasn't expensive (and includes the knot you reference among a bunch of others).
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Post by Reeling »

Widsa wrote:Try this one lads, it has never failed me.

I've done this knot before, but for some reason I find that sometimes when I pull tight the knot slips and I have to start over - annoying if you do a double hook patenoster.

Not sure whether its because I'm doing something silly like "going under rather than over", or maybe twisted the second portion the wrong pay in relating to the initial twist....

It does help to give some rigidity though
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Post by Tim399 »

Some food for thaught there guys thanks, i might give that twisted dropper a go