Hook replacement on paternoster rig

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Re: Hook replacement on paternoster rig

Post by peatop »

Widsa wrote:Try this one lads, it has never failed me.
Once you get used to tying them they are easy.
The beauty of this knot is the line is doubled and twisted so it stiffens it up to stay out and away from the main line.
Once you get the hang of it this is the best knot in my opinion for a paternoster rig.

http://www.fishing-khaolak.com/knots/tw ... steps.html
I've used this knot but without the twist, it failed on the first big fish i hooked :cry:
Been using the grannies knot since with no issues, as shane said it's easy to undo, so replacement of hook/dropper is easy.
When i was out the other night i had to cut a bango free, i just tied another hook on using a grannies knot.
Before i started yak fishing i would always tie a loop dropper paternoster with a length of main line (mono), never had any issues although for bigger fishing it was always steel trace. Now im far more pedantic as a total change of style i dont go fishing anymore, i target a species the rest are bye catch, although usually very tasty too lol

The other rig i use is a snelled rig(2 hooks on the bottom of a running sinker rig)
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
spider25160
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie itrek 11

Post by spider25160 »

peatop wrote:
The beauty of this knot is the line is doubled and twisted so it stiffens it up to stay out and away from the main line.
Once you get the hang of it this is the best knot in my opinion for a paternoster rig.

I've used this knot but without the twist, it failed on the first big fish i hooked :cry:
Been using the grannies knot since with no issues, as shane said it's easy to undo, so replacement of hook/dropper is easy.
When i was out the other night i had to cut a bango free, i just tied another hook on using a grannies knot.
Before i started yak fishing i would always tie a loop dropper paternoster with a length of main line (mono), never had any issues although for bigger fishing it was always steel trace. Now im far more pedantic as a total change of style i dont go fishing anymore, i target a species the rest are bye catch, although usually very tasty too lol

The other rig i use is a snelled rig(2 hooks on the bottom of a running sinker rig)
I have been using this knot without the twist for too many years to count. Never had it fail EVER
Your mind is like a Parachute! It only works when it is open
Yak PB's: Snook 68cm, Black Bream 38cm, KGW 50cm, :up: Couta 72cm, snapper 45cm Australian Salmon 64cm Redfin 37cm EP 39cm Blue throat wrasse 46cm Dusky Flathead 56cm :yahoo:
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by Widsa »

Reeling wrote:

I've done this knot before, but for some reason I find that sometimes when I pull tight the knot slips and I have to start over - annoying if you do a double hook patenoster.
Not sure whether its because I'm doing something silly like "going under rather than over", or maybe twisted the second portion the wrong pay in relating to the initial twist....
It does help to give some rigidity though
Yeah you did something wrong with the knot.
It wont slip when tied correctly.

When you tie this you need to make sure the line is wet before you cinch the knot.
I usually hold the end where the hook goes in my mouth and use both hands to tighten up the wraps on both ends at the same time.
The trick is not to pull the line too hard, just a gentle pull whilst you work the knot together with your fingers and keep tension on the hook end with your mouth.

It probably doesnt make sense, I will try to do a video of this knot for you, it really is a good knot to learn and easy to tie once you get the hang of it.
This knot ensures good bait presentation by keeping the dropper away from the main line and preventing tangles.
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

I liked the knot when i found it, i made a rig up straight away for the next mornings session ;) but first hookup and it broke at the top loop intersection, the fish was big, at first i thought it was an old rig but then remembered it was the new one, i didnt check the leftover to see if it was cut or broken, however now I've found the grannies knot i won't go back, best thing since sliced bread ;) it's fast and easy to tie and the whole rig is tied with it or variations of it.

The issue with loop dropper is if you loose or need to cut the hook off you cant replace it. I had to cut a hook off the other night and had a new hook on in a few minutes, when the dropper get to short you can easily replace it.
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

The name granny knot came from the vid i watched by Paul worsteling, but after reviewing Shanes PM and knots on the net, it called a surgeons knot. The knot i use to tie the hook and to tie the rig to the swivel is a uni knot.
Here is the PM Shane sent me.
This is roughly the paternoster rigging method I use:
paternoster.jpg
I basically use a triple surgeons type knot to attach the droppers to the main line and then a simple overhand knot in a double at the end for a sinker dropper. Then tie the other end to a swivel and connect that to your main line/leader. I tie the hooks to the droppers with a snell.
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Post by Tim399 »

Thanks for suggesting this one Widsa, I used this rig for the first time yesterday and I’ll definitely be using it again. I had three paternosters out while drifting and it was the only rig that didn’t get tangled with itself even with flathead going beserk flapping around on the deck :thumbsup:
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

4liters wrote:i started using a method cheater told me about and it’s great. He can explain it and the any credit for it.
super simple paternoster I use for my whiting rigs

tie a Surgeons loop at the bottom of what ever line you are using as a leader ( for quick change of sinkers ) then about 30 - 45 cm up from there tie a surgeons loop then about 30 - 45 cm up from there tie a surgeons loop - there's your rig -

now on a short leader snell on a hook and on the other end of this short leader tie a surgeons loop - repeat for your other hook and spares to have in your kit

slide the hook leader surgeons loop over the rig surgeons loop and put the hook through the hole this locks the hooks to the rig -- now when and I say when a LJ or toad or some other hook steeling bugger takes your hook off it's quick and easy to replace

you need to have the distances between you loops on the rig far enough apart so the hooks dont get tangled and of cause the length of each hook leader also come into this

Quick - Simple and it works - easy to tie on the kayak if you need to replace it as well
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

cheaterparts wrote:
4liters wrote:i started using a method cheater told me about and it’s great. He can explain it and the any credit for it.
super simple paternoster I use for my whiting rigs

tie a Surgeons loop at the bottom of what ever line you are using as a leader ( for quick change of sinkers ) then about 30 - 45 cm up from there tie a surgeons loop then about 30 - 45 cm up from there tie a surgeons loop - there's your rig -

now on a short leader snell on a hook and on the other end of this short leader tie a surgeons loop - repeat for your other hook and spares to have in your kit

slide the hook leader surgeons loop over the rig surgeons loop and put the hook through the hole this locks the hooks to the rig -- now when and I say when a LJ or toad or some other hook steeling bugger takes your hook off it's quick and easy to replace

you need to have the distances between you loops on the rig far enough apart so the hooks dont get tangled and of cause the length of each hook leader also come into this

Quick - Simple and it works - easy to tie on the kayak if you need to replace it as well
This rig also looks good for smaller fish but for bigger fish, snapper, gummies, kings and tuna what would you use? Given im new to this style of fishing (all new gear)currently im only using 16 and 40 Lb leaders atm and 2 types of rigs, now that I've learnt how to tie them i find them fast and easy to tie on or off the water in any conditions.