First kayak, need help!

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
joshhr
kayak: None

First kayak, need help!

Post by joshhr »

Hey guys, recently i've gotten into fishing just locally (South-West Victoria) and i would love to go a step further, rather than land based fishing i'd love to get out on the water by myself and just flick some lures around.

I went into BCF recently after their boxing day sales and saw they had some cheap kayaks with rod holders, seats etc for about $599 but i didn't buy it because i felt as though they were cheap and nasty and i'd seen a lot of mixed reviews.

I'm looking for a beginner friendly kayak that is easily transportable, i'll only be taking it to lakes similar areas (rocklands and the other local lakes/creeks). I can't transport it on the roof because i own a company car and am not allowed to put roof racks or anything of the sort on. I want something that's stable and easy to move around in the water, i see a lot of the better kayaks are driven via peddles which would be great but obviously a lot more expensive i'm happy to spend up to $1000. They only means of transporting the kayak i have are a 2015 hilux with a tub, a 1990 hilux with a tray and i have a small trailer that is 1.9m x 1.3m that i could use which probably isn't ideal.

Any advice would be awesome!
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Re: First kayak, need help!

Post by cheaterparts »

joshhr wrote:Hey guys, recently i've gotten into fishing just locally (South-West Victoria) and i would love to go a step further, rather than land based fishing i'd love to get out on the water by myself and just flick some lures around.

I went into BCF recently after their boxing day sales and saw they had some cheap kayaks with rod holders, seats etc for about $599 but i didn't buy it because i felt as though they were cheap and nasty and i'd seen a lot of mixed reviews.

I'm looking for a beginner friendly kayak that is easily transportable, i'll only be taking it to lakes similar areas (rocklands and the other local lakes/creeks). I can't transport it on the roof because i own a company car and am not allowed to put roof racks or anything of the sort on. I want something that's stable and easy to move around in the water, i see a lot of the better kayaks are driven via peddles which would be great but obviously a lot more expensive i'm happy to spend up to $1000. They only means of transporting the kayak i have are a 2015 hilux with a tub, a 1990 hilux with a tray and i have a small trailer that is 1.9m x 1.3m that i could use which probably isn't ideal.

Any advice would be awesome!
first off welcome along to Vyak -- trailers are a great way to transport kayaks your large 6 x 4 trailer could probably do with a longer draw bar than most have but its easy enough to do - a trailer with a box to carry your wet gear stops your car smelling like a fish market

as for kayaks your re right most of the cheap kayaks you find in the big chain stores ( BCF and the Big Snake ) are just that cheap and nasty
if you are looking at Lakes that can be a lot like a bay type boat a bit of length with help as you may wont to cover so distance - shorter kayaks are better suited to skinny water like creeks

this may help you a bit in understanding the hull -- https://seasherpakayaks.wordpress.com/2 ... me-buyers/
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: First kayak, need help!

Post by laneends »

If you are restricting use to confined waters then the shorter kayaks should be fine, lighter models will be convenient if you want to launch in some of the harder bank laucnhes etc that you find in rivers. do you have to source locally?

One option is Aquayak snapper pro. Lightweight, solidly build and short enough to help with transporting and manhandling. Note this is with the proviso you are not using it for open waters, including large lakes where size really does make a huge difference

Also keep an eye out on second hand market. If you can find a S/H hobie quest 11 that would be ideal. Thats what I use for fresh water and harder to launch areas.